Windows 10: How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

Discus and support How do you change the default app for opening a single file? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've tried googling and searching the various subreddits. All the results are for how to change the default app for all files of a particular... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ChinaFunn, Feb 1, 2020.

1. How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

I've tried googling and searching the various subreddits.

All the results are for how to change the default app for all files of a particular extension.

How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

In this case I want a particular .txt file to open with Opera, but for all other .txt files to continue opening with Notepad as they currently do.

Thanks for any ideas

submitted by /u/ChinaFunn
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ChinaFunn, Feb 1, 2020

2. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to change default app by file type

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that you want to change the default app for GED files as Roots Magic, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to avoid redundancy
    of steps.

As you have mentioned that GED files are opened with Photoshop, we can try the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Change default app using the file

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location where you have saved the GED files, right click on any of the file and select
      Properties.
    2. Under Open with, click on
      Change
    3. Now, click on More apps, scroll down and look for Roots Magic application.
    4. If Roots Magic is not available in the list then, click on
      Look for another app on this PC and select the application using the location.

Method 2: Change default app using Settings.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps.
    3. Click on Default apps, on the left pane.
    4. Now, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    5. Scroll down, look for .GED file type and click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Now, select the Roots Magic application.

If the issue persists, you may create a new user account and check if the issue persists in the new user account. Refer the steps mentioned in the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 1, 2020
  4. How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

Default apps and open with files

Have you read my post? I already tried that. The file association default app wont work because .cbr is not listed in the list. And .png when I change the application to open it with adobe photoshop is not included in the list of default apps. But it works
    with .jpeg just in .png

dacoolmike, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

1. How do you change the default app for opening a single file? - Similar Threads - change default app

2. how the **** do you change the default file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how the **** do you change the default file explorer: how do i change the default file explorer or add it in the next update if its not a feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-the-do-you-change-the-default-file-explorer/1da6fb64-fdf4-4708-a433-45d80298873f
  3. how the **** do you change the default file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how the **** do you change the default file explorer: how do i change the default file explorer or add it in the next update if its not a feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-the-do-you-change-the-default-file-explorer/1da6fb64-fdf4-4708-a433-45d80298873f
  4. How to change default app to open certain file types.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app to open certain file types.: It's not as simple as it seems :) Although it's easy as pie to change default apps by type file, but how to do it if I want to use app that's not on the default Window list? Like in this example, [img] File is opened by IE but I have installed in my system programme called...
  5. How do you remove default apps by file type?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you remove default apps by file type?: I downloaded a .rar file and then unknowingly I clicked automatically open in Adobe acrobat but I don’t want that. I don’t want it to automatically open in anything but I can’t seem to remove it and have nothing be an option for default .rar files :/ ugh submitted by...
  6. How do I change the default for opening files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the default for opening files?: I’m trying to download a zip file from google. When trying to open it, I was asked what application to open it with and was prompted with several options. I clicked “open with internet explorer” and that didn’t work out. I’ve downloaded a proper zip file opener application...
  7. Changing default app for opening a csv file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default app for opening a csv file: I cannot set excel as the default app to open csv files. I have gone through the process of trying to change the default in windows 10. The only options are notepad, wordpad or word. I have tried looking on microsoft 365 website for other apps and have failed to solve this...
  8. how do I change the default to open an app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I change the default to open an app: How do I change the program default to open a .jef file. The one I have is not working and I even deleted the old app, but it still won't change anything....
  9. change the default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  10. How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?: I'm used to working with quite a few libraries in W8.1 and would like file explorer in W10 to directly go to the libraries view if possible rather than the 'quick access' screen. Can it be done ? 7180