Windows 10: How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

Discus and support How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kieran Bacon, Nov 24, 2022.

1. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder name. It is clear that it is saved somewhere against my account as its nothing to do with my name, and I would like to update it/remove it.How do you do the above?

:)

Kieran Bacon, Nov 24, 2022
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Nov 24, 2022
  3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 24, 2022
  4. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

User Account Folder Name

Hi,

Kindly perform the following steps to change your Windows 10 User Account Name.

• Press windows key + R, then type netplwiz.
    • Under Users for this computer, double click on your user account.
    • Change the user name then click on Apply.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart the PC.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Nov 24, 2022
Thema:

How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

1. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account - Similar Threads - change user folder

2. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the name of my User Folder?: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, and for some reason, it put "SwanP" as my Username folder. I want to change this to "Annabelle Baradine", but it says "Access Denied". How do I do this without having to reinstall Windows 10 again?...
  3. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my User Folder?: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, and for some reason, it put "SwanP" as my Username folder. I want to change this to "Annabelle Baradine", but it says "Access Denied". How do I do this without having to reinstall Windows 10 again?...
  4. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account: Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder name. It is clear that it is saved somewhere against my account as its nothing to do with my name, and I would like to update...
  5. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  6. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  7. How do I change the user folder name for my local account?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the user folder name for my local account?: Hello all, I recently got a new Windows 10 laptop and set it up with my Microsoft account, before switching to a local account. When I went to view the user account folder for the local account C:\Users, I saw that windows had named the folder using the first 5 characters...
  8. Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account: When I install Windows, it asks to log in with a Microsoft account. Standard procedure. It creates a profile folder under C:\Users<local username> I assume the local username is from way way back when I first created my Microsoft profile some years ago (probably with Windows...
  9. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  10. How do you change the name on a user account; win10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you change the name on a user account; win10?: There is a typo in the name on my user account, which causes confusion. When attempting to change the user name, I receive a message pertaining to permission. I've changed the level of system security, but no luck. Knowing there is a simple solution, what am I overlooking?...