Windows 10: How do you check in advance whether an old Windows 7 Product Key is valid for licensing...

Discus and support How do you check in advance whether an old Windows 7 Product Key is valid for licensing... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Backstory: My 4 year old Intel NUC will no longer boot to Windows 10. Tried everything but OEM's very helpful support team cannot resolve the issue.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TallerPaul, May 9, 2020.

1. How do you check in advance whether an old Windows 7 Product Key is valid for licensing...

Backstory: My 4 year old Intel NUC will no longer boot to Windows 10. Tried everything but OEM's very helpful support team cannot resolve the issue. We now believe its an irreparable hardware fault. The only remaining test is to put my M.2 drive with the Windows 10 OS installed into a different chassis/motherboard to confirm that it boots ok proving that the fault is hardware related.

While I wait for that test I've been looking at a replacement.

The broken machine had an OEM Windows 10 Pro installed, so presumably that license is now also scrap. Frankly it grates that I would now need to spend £100 on a new OEM Windows 10 license.

Historically I've had many PCs and in one case I purchased a retail copy of Windows 7 for a long deceased desktop. I'm thinking that that license should still be valid.

So:

1. BEFORE I place my new PC order, how can I check that that Windows 7 Product Key is valid for a new PC Windows 10 install?

2. If I am able to reuse my existing M.2 drive with the old Windows 10 license installed, what will happen when I boot into Windows? Will it throw an error...or gracefully request a new license key?

Thanks for any assistance

Paul

:)

TallerPaul, May 9, 2020
  2. PaulJ Win User

Something Happened ... Failed to Validate Product Key

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, the Windows 10 pre-check is green, I've tried updating to 10 using Windows Update, the Media Creation Tool and Techbench. I following the instructions very carefully on Techbench, I've verified that my version shows that it is fully licensed for Windows 7 Pro using slmgr /dlv, fully updated 7, disabled my AV, created a new Admin account to run the update, I still get Windows 10 Update Something Happened Setup has failed to validate the product key. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PaulJ, May 9, 2020
  3. Something Happened ... Failed to Validate Product Key

You might want to reset your PC under Advanced Startup

*From the start menu, choose the power icon

*Hold down shift and choose to restart

*Hold shift until a blue screen pops up with icons. Select Troubleshoot

*Choose Reset this PC and choose to save your files; I did and the reset worked just fine

*Follow prompts and your computer should work again!

HumaneEngineer, May 9, 2020
  4. How do you check in advance whether an old Windows 7 Product Key is valid for licensing...

Product Key not valid for downgrade

The problem is Microsoft never handled it.

Downgrade rights is handled by Lenovo, etc.

This is the information I saved before Microsoft pulled it:

Here is the information about Downgrade rights. It is an old Microsoft link which they removed but the information still apples>

Device Partner Center

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

[table][tr][td]Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7 Professional
    [/td][td]Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business
    [/td][td]Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:
    • Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version,
    as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software
    To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

That's why I advise you to contact Lenovo.

Bill Smithers, May 9, 2020
Thema:

How do you check in advance whether an old Windows 7 Product Key is valid for licensing...

1. How do you check in advance whether an old Windows 7 Product Key is valid for licensing... - Similar Threads - check advance whether

2. how to check microsoft valid product keys?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to check microsoft valid product keys?: how to check microsoft valid product keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-microsoft-valid-product-keys/8f8b5c2b-4071-40f7-b6c5-16944bbda4e6
  3. how to check microsoft valid product keys?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to check microsoft valid product keys?: how to check microsoft valid product keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-microsoft-valid-product-keys/8f8b5c2b-4071-40f7-b6c5-16944bbda4e6
  4. how to check microsoft valid product keys?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to check if license is valid?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to check if license is valid?: Hi, We are about to buy some mini-PCS from a vendor. They are offering 2 kinds: without OS and with Windows Pro installed charging $12,00 per device. We've bought 2 samples to check and I run "slmgr /dlv" to check if everything is fine. The device is conected to the internet...
  6. How to check if license is valid?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to check if license is valid?: Hi, We are about to buy some mini-PCS from a vendor. They are offering 2 kinds: without OS and with Windows Pro installed charging $12,00 per device. We've bought 2 samples to check and I run "slmgr /dlv" to check if everything is fine. The device is conected to the internet...
  7. How to check if license is valid?

8. Checking product key validity in advance

Checking product key validity in advance: I bought Win10 Home for the Family back in 2016. It is on a thumb drive and had 3 activations on it when new. I do not know if the last installation was ever used. I would like to try using it to install Windows on a new machine I am building but want to know how big a mess...
  9. How to check product key is valid

How to check product key is valid: Hello, bought product keys years ago but unsure which ones are live, is there a quick way to check this? As I don't want to make purchases that would lead me to having to make more....
  10. Check Whether The Product Key Is Original Or Not.

Check Whether The Product Key Is Original Or Not.: [ATTACH]kindly tell me if my license is original or not. * Moved from Community Participation Center ***Changed Original Title From: product key***...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows check product key validity