Windows 10: How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings?

Discus and support How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a tablet PC which I often plug into a hub on my desk to power a desktop setup. When I do this I usually disable the touchscreen to save power.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Snucket, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Snucket Win User

How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings?

I have a tablet PC which I often plug into a hub on my desk to power a desktop setup. When I do this I usually disable the touchscreen to save power. I'd like to add a shortcut to the taskbar or desktop for the dialogue box for this device so I can disable and enable it without having to go through as many steps. Is this possible? I can't figure it out. If it is possible, please tell me how.

Thanks

:)

Snucket, Jan 16, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Automatically Create Shortcuts - Search Recursively

It is possibe to write such a script. The problem with scripts is that they need a very precise and tight specification. If the specification is loose then the script will fail.

Your specification is very loose. For example, it is not at all clear whether "C\Temp" really means "C:\Temp". It is also unclear what you mean with "located in *\Stuff", or where the shortcuts should go, or how the
    recursion should work. A precise specification might go like this:

• Create a shortcut for each of the following folders:

A:\Stuff

B:\Stuff

C:\Stuff

etc.

Z:\Stuff
    • Name the shortcuts "A-Stuff", "B-Stuff", "C-Stuff" etc.
    • Place the shortcuts on the desktop

Lastly - why not create the shortcuts manually? This would be much faster than creating a script!

Frederik Long, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

1. How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? - Similar Threads - create shortcut specific

2. How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PleasantSport [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9z9xi/how_to_create_a_desktop_shortcut_to_this_settings/
  3. How to create a shortcut key to launch Device Manager?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to create a shortcut key to launch Device Manager?: Hello MSAnswers, please could someone tell me how to: -Create a desktop shortcut that, when double clicked, will launch W10's Device Manager? -Do exactly the same as above, but do this when I press a function key, eg F1. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it!...
  4. How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?: I have some files (mainly spreadsheets) on the network and need to share some of those with managers I can share the link to the file by email quite easily, I can share the whole folder but dont want to. I Cant share a shortcut by email because Outlook removes it How do I...
  5. How Do You Fix Settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Do You Fix Settings?: So I watched this video on YouTube and I wanted to switch my computer name on my hp and after I changed my name all of a sudden I couldn't search in the Cortana box or even ask Cortana questions I can't even press on the windows button please, someone help. Here's the link...
  6. How to create a shortcut to the "Advanced display settings" page

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to create a shortcut to the "Advanced display settings" page: I was able to find the URI for the regular display settings page and make a shortcut page but not for the advanced display settings. I'd like it for the advanced display since that's where you change your resolution and I do that often. Thanks 70718
  7. How to create a reboot shortcut?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to create a reboot shortcut?: I found that one can shorten the steps of shutting down windows by creating a shortcut on the desktop. by using this command "%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0" The shutdown exe file can be found in the directory above. I thought I may be able to create a similar...
  8. Create Devices and Printers Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Devices and Printers Shortcut in Windows: How to: Create Devices and Printers Shortcut in Windows [img] Information Devices and Printers (aka: Device Stage), gives you a quick view and access of all of your connected and wireless devices on your computer in one place. By viewing the contents of this folder, you...
  9. Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Settings shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Network & Internet,...
  10. How do you create a live Tile

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you create a live Tile: Is it possible to create a live tile and if so how do you do it. It would be very useful to me for going to various Forums for which I contribute. 18506