Windows 10: How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings?

Discus and support How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a tablet PC which I often plug into a hub on my desk to power a desktop setup. When I do this I usually disable the touchscreen to save power.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Snucket, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Snucket Win User

How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings?

I have a tablet PC which I often plug into a hub on my desk to power a desktop setup. When I do this I usually disable the touchscreen to save power. I'd like to add a shortcut to the taskbar or desktop for the dialogue box for this device so I can disable and enable it without having to go through as many steps. Is this possible? I can't figure it out. If it is possible, please tell me how.

Thanks

:)

Snucket, Jan 16, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Automatically Create Shortcuts - Search Recursively

It is possibe to write such a script. The problem with scripts is that they need a very precise and tight specification. If the specification is loose then the script will fail.

Your specification is very loose. For example, it is not at all clear whether "C\Temp" really means "C:\Temp". It is also unclear what you mean with "located in *\Stuff", or where the shortcuts should go, or how the
    recursion should work. A precise specification might go like this:

• Create a shortcut for each of the following folders:

A:\Stuff

B:\Stuff

C:\Stuff

etc.

Z:\Stuff
    • Name the shortcuts "A-Stuff", "B-Stuff", "C-Stuff" etc.
    • Place the shortcuts on the desktop

Lastly - why not create the shortcuts manually? This would be much faster than creating a script!

Frederik Long, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

1. How do you create a shortcut for a specific device's settings? - Similar Threads - create shortcut specific

2. How do I creat a network shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I creat a network shortcut?: I have created a shared folder on my linux machine and would like to access it from my windows machine. I am trying to create a shortcut on my windows desktop that links to the folder on the linux desktop using the location "\\<ipaddress>\<shared_folder>". Windows security...
  3. How to disable this specific shortcut.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable this specific shortcut.: The keys A+W+E pressed together always open up a window of my file explorer. I'm not sure how to disable this and I can't find any resources online to fix this....
  4. How to disable this specific shortcut.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable this specific shortcut.: The keys A+W+E pressed together always open up a window of my file explorer. I'm not sure how to disable this and I can't find any resources online to fix this....
  5. Creating a Shortcut for Display Settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Creating a Shortcut for Display Settings: I am looking for a way to create a Keyboard Shortcut that switches my display setup for Windows 10 So essentially I am looking for a command/macro/shortcut/bat file that when it's run Screen A becomes the Primary Screen and Screen B becomes the Secondary screen, and an...
  6. How to set a specific device for charging only?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to set a specific device for charging only?: Hi, I have a portable electric fan and every time I charge it, my pc keeps displaying this message: [ATTACH] Does anyone know how to disable this? It keeps annoying me every time I charge my device. Thank you in advance....
  7. How do you set the default camera device?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you set the default camera device?: I am losing my fucking mind over this. Every result I've found on the internet is outdated, all of them say the same thing when that method doesn't exist anymore. My applications keep defaulting to my Valve Index, which is a VR headset that has a pair of cameras at the...
  8. How do you disable a specific shortcut of a program in windows 10

How do you disable a specific shortcut of a program in windows 10: I have two apps (keepass 2 and antidote 10) which are using the same shortcut Ctrl+Alt+k for different purpose. I want to disable the shortcut in antidote 10 but I can' t find a way. My only solution at the moment, is to remap the shortcut in keepass but I would rather to...
  9. Way to create shortcut for specific settings page?

Way to create shortcut for specific settings page?: For example, I want to create a shortcut to the "Rearrange your displays" setting since I need to switch between my primary monitor if I am playing a game or something. Is there any way to make a shortcut instead of having to keep manually pulling this up? submitted by...
  10. How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?

How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PleasantSport [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9z9xi/how_to_create_a_desktop_shortcut_to_this_settings/