Windows 10: how do you customize icons?

Discus and support how do you customize icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How does one go about customizing the icons for file types such as .html, .php, .jpg, .gif, .psd, etc...? There was an option in win 7 with a "File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by artoo, Jan 21, 2016.

1. artoo Win User

how do you customize icons?

How does one go about customizing the icons for file types such as .html, .php, .jpg, .gif, .psd, etc...?

There was an option in win 7 with a "File Type" tab that listed all the file extensions and allowed you to change the icons.

I did try using regedit and change the "Default Icon" key under the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT==>.html and gave the path to the .ico I wanted to use and that didn't seem to work.

:)

artoo, Jan 21, 2016

2. How do you customize the Windows 10 Installer?

OK, here is the deal.

I use my computer offline.

I do not keep myself tethered to an internet connection.

I do not use apps, I do not use mail, I do not use antivirus, anti-malware, firewalls and the rest.

I do not use IE, I do not use media player, I am never going to use Cortana, I believe in paper maps (for obvious reasons).

I want a computer that boots to a plain blue screen with a couple of icons for commonly used programs on it.

Sometimes I want to go to a folder where I am keeping my documents or write a horrific excel database with tens of thousands of cells.

Why can't I just have a castrated version of server 2012 instead of a full on version of windows 10.

I do not own an X-box. I crushed my cell phone in a hydraulic press because I discovered what dependence on communication apps does to our communication skills.

I do not have a touch screen (nor will I ever).

All I want is a blue screen.

Just give me my blue screen, and not the blue screen of death, which is all I have gotten out of 10.

JeffHarrison, Jan 21, 2016
  3. How do you customize the Windows 10 Installer?

As far as I can tell none of the windows kits can open the install.wim file as EVERYTHING sees it as a corrupt file.

I am not doubting them in this either. I guess I will just be taking the install apart piece by piece again with an Ubuntu install disk post installation since Microsoft refuses to give people the choice of which software they want infecting their computers.

Less is more.

JeffHarrison, Jan 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, maybe FiltypesMan by Nirsoft (free) offers a convenient way- rt click the one you want in its GUI, and select 'Edit selected filetype', and you can browse for an icon.

Never tried doing that, but that's a possibility.

How useful doing it is, I'm not sure- if you ever change the associated default program, the icon will change again.
    (And note upgrading to build 10586 in November or so reset all associations to MS default *Mad - just hope MS has learnt from that for hte next big upgrade - they will appear periodically).

dalchina, Jan 22, 2016
Thema:

1. how do you customize icons? - Similar Threads - customize icons

2. Windows 10 laptop don't use my custom mouse pointer icons animated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 laptop don't use my custom mouse pointer icons animated: I did get my hands on few Windows 98 mouse pointer icons such as busy and busy working at background. They are directly taken from a good old Windows 98 VM so file extensions and formats are okay with win10 ani. Problem is everytime I boot my laptop it defaults to garbage...
  3. Windows 10 laptop don't use my custom mouse pointer icons animated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 laptop don't use my custom mouse pointer icons animated: I did get my hands on few Windows 98 mouse pointer icons such as busy and busy working at background. They are directly taken from a good old Windows 98 VM so file extensions and formats are okay with win10 ani. Problem is everytime I boot my laptop it defaults to garbage...
  4. Windows 10 laptop don't use my custom mouse pointer icons animated

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11: I am trying to change the icon of a folder on my computer and it doesn't work.I go to properties/customize/change icon and I choose an .ico file I have in a folder. When I click on "apply" the icon changes, but then it reverts back to the default.I also tried with an icon in...
  6. Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11

Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11: I am trying to change the icon of a folder on my computer and it doesn't work.I go to properties/customize/change icon and I choose an .ico file I have in a folder. When I click on "apply" the icon changes, but then it reverts back to the default.I also tried with an icon in...
  7. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  8. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  9. How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...: I know that I can click on the icon in the 'Sound' page and click on Properties and then at the top there is a button called 'Change Icon' and you can change the icon with existing windows icons but you can also browse for your own icons so I've tried looking for custom icons...
  10. How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...: I know that I can click on the icon in the 'Sound' page and click on Properties and then at the top there is a button called 'Change Icon' and you can change the icon with existing windows icons but you can also browse for your own icons so I've tried looking for custom icons...