Windows 10: How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop"

Discus and support How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop" in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm working on a new Dell Windows 10 laptop after working for many years on a Mac. I am trying to do something very simple - put some applications on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KevinBoyle5, Aug 6, 2019.

1. How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop"

I'm working on a new Dell Windows 10 laptop after working for many years on a Mac. I am trying to do something very simple - put some applications on my external monitor to work on while I use multiple desktops on my laptop's screen. For some reason that I cannot understand, Windows thinks it's a good idea to link the desktop on my external monitor to the desktop on my laptop. Maybe in some strange world that would make sense, but not in this world. I should either be able to change the desktop of the external monitor independently of changing the desktop of my laptop, or it should not change at all.

When you are working on complex proposals, and you need to reference multiple applications, spreading out over multiple desktops is a reasonable way to keep yourself organized... except when you keep losing the applications you are trying to work between.

Is there a way to decouple these desktops?

:)

KevinBoyle5, Aug 6, 2019
  2. Swapna S Win User

Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor

Windows 10 laptop. I connect it to an external monitor and use hdmi cable. My external monitor is my main monitor. I use the laptop monitor as the secondary monitor. I extend the display.

My desktop icons are always on my external monitor desktop. I had moved the hdmi cable connected to my laptop i believe which caused all my icons from my external monitor to go on the laptop monitor. Also there is even spacing on all of the icons. Has anyone had this happened? I then clicked sort and then it rearranged so there is no spacing etc. However, i then noticed hey why are my icons on my laptop monitor and not my external monitor.

Does anyone know why this happened? When i open chrome and other programs, it does open up on my external monitor though which is my primary monitor. I believe i can just drag each of the icons on my desktop on my laptop screen to my external monitor. So just do this and that fixes the issue right? Or is there a way to have all the icons just move to the external monitor. The reason i ask this is in case the icons just suddenly move to the laptop screen again.

paulyjustin, Aug 6, 2019
  4. DKJu Win User

How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop"

Desktop icons move to primary monitor after connecting external monitor

Original title: Desktop icons move

After I arrange my desktop icons on my laptop, everything is fine until I plug in an external monitor. Then all icons move to the right of my laptop screen which is my primary display. How do I correct this problem so that icons DO NOT move with an external
    monitor attached?

DKJu, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop"

1. How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop" - Similar Threads - decouple external monitor

2. How to setup desktop switching with external monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to setup desktop switching with external monitors: I am currently using an external monitor for my lenovo laptop and have set it up to extend the current display. I also have set the 3-finger swipe to switch between desktops however when I do this, it switches between desktops on both the laptop and the monitor. I am used to...
  3. How to setup desktop switching with external monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to setup desktop switching with external monitors: I am currently using an external monitor for my lenovo laptop and have set it up to extend the current display. I also have set the 3-finger swipe to switch between desktops however when I do this, it switches between desktops on both the laptop and the monitor. I am used to...
  4. How to setup desktop switching with external monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?

How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?: Whenever I wake my PC from sleep, I get an error telling me that my desktop folder is inaccessible. Everything is missing but the Recycle bin. Then after a short while, my files will reappear probably my HDDs are still warming up and are not yet ready when requested by the...
  6. How do you mirror folders from desktop to laptop?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do you mirror folders from desktop to laptop?: Both desktop and laptop are running Windows 10 x64. Most of the personal folders (on PC and laptop) have an identical structure . The folders on my PC are the 'source' (base), i.e. the folders on the laptop should be a mirror of the folders on PC. Right now, I use a backup...
  7. How to split your desktop/monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to split your desktop/monitor?: Is it possible to split your desktop into 2 separate desktops? I know about the feature of having multiple desktops, but is it possible to have 2 separate desktops on the same screen at the same time? For example having 2 times 1080x1080 desktops on a 1920x1080 monitor....
  8. How do you save your desktop icon placement?

How do you save your desktop icon placement?: It's been a while but has happened twice in the past couple weeks that my desktop icons were rearranged, one was due to a recent windows update I read, and that one removed some, if not all, of my icons, I don't remember exactly. And just a day or 2 ago my icons were randomly...
  9. How do you get desktop notifications from Your Phone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you get desktop notifications from Your Phone?: I've just gone about a test transition from Pushbullet, and I'm wondering how I get notifications on the PC for notifications on the phone. I can obviously see notifications if I launch the application, but they don't appear to be showing on in my Action Centre or whatever...
  10. Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor: Windows 10 laptop. I connect it to an external monitor and use hdmi cable. My external monitor is my main monitor. I use the laptop monitor as the secondary monitor. I extend the display. My desktop icons are always on my external monitor desktop. I had moved the hdmi...