Windows 10: How do you delete a file even Admin can't delete?

Discus and support How do you delete a file even Admin can't delete? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I run into this pretty regularly and it's super frustrating. Try to delete a file and it says I need Admin to do it, I click yes and then it still says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/linuxwes, Mar 18, 2021.

1. How do you delete a file even Admin can't delete?

I run into this pretty regularly and it's super frustrating. Try to delete a file and it says I need Admin to do it, I click yes and then it still says permission denied. I try changing permissions and same thing. It's even really dumb files too, some left over Fallout76 junk that the broken Xbox app somehow forgot it knew about and I have to go manually nuke it.

submitted by /u/linuxwes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/linuxwes, Mar 18, 2021
  2. natr0n Win User

win 7 need perm to delete files

Disabled that long ago. I'm admin yet I need admin permission. It happens randomly when i delete a file.

I used to know how to fix this and no luck trying all the tricks

natr0n, Mar 18, 2021
  3. macbeth Win User
    Cannot delete files in Temp

There are a few files that i cant delete in
    C:\Documents and Settings\1st User\Local Settings\Temp
    which are ~DF567B.tmp, ~DFB71E.tmp, ~ROMFN_000007A8 and Perflib_Perfdata_7a8.dat. And some times there are a few more.
    What are these files and why cant they be deleted?

macbeth, Mar 18, 2021
  4. How do you delete a file even Admin can't delete?

Advice- how to delete a file with admin rights

ok- im putting this to the group- cause ive been battling this stupid file and folder for about a half hour.

if any of you know anything about mp3-g karaoke files it would be a plus.

this is so stupid its crazy- in computerized karaoke, the mp3 and cdg files are in a zip folder, the software plays it by unzipping-

whild doing some mundane library chores i unzipped a file cause the mp3 inside would not let me correct the updated naming structure, so fine, i have software for that, unzipped the file, took control, ownership, changed all the security rights on the zip and the cdg, but the mp3 is not allowing me to do anything but play it.

i cannot alter, delete or change special permissions or owners rights or nothing.

so i went back to the disc and re ripped that track, now i no longer need this copy, and it wont let me delete or move it off to a different drive or anything. and i cannot re zip it.

i tried using file assasin in malwarebytes, and windows will not allow it without admins permission, which i cannot change.

and it scans clean, so its not a bug, and it plays, but i cannot get rid of it-

problem is, its on a 750 gig drive with 170,000 other files on it- if i had enough drives around to move all of the other files and just reformat the damn drive i would, but thats not verey practical either.

im open for ideas*Bang Head :banghead:

by the way if it makes a difference, im in windows 7 rc 1 64 bit- never seen this one before.

madmanjohn, Mar 18, 2021
Thema:

How do you delete a file even Admin can't delete?

1. How do you delete a file even Admin can't delete? - Similar Threads - delete file Admin

2. how do I recover the files of the previously deleted Admin?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I recover the files of the previously deleted Admin?: My father's Microsoft account was the previous admin of my PC. Today I added my Microsoft account and deleted my father's account from the PC by signing in to my account. While deletion it asked whether to keep the currently deleting admins files or not. I selected keep...
  3. how do I recover the files of the previously deleted Admin?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do I recover the files of the previously deleted Admin?: My father's Microsoft account was the previous admin of my PC. Today I added my Microsoft account and deleted my father's account from the PC by signing in to my account. While deletion it asked whether to keep the currently deleting admins files or not. I selected keep...
  4. how do I recover the files of the previously deleted Admin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do you delete settings.dat?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you delete settings.dat?: Hello, I have a question on how to delete settings.dat. I want to delete it because I was trying to shrink the c partition but it wouldn't let me because of settings.dat. Does anyone know how to delete/disable this file?...
  6. How do you delete a folder

How do you delete a folder: I am trying to delete a folder which is in Users. The folder is titled Public and I want to delete it. However when I do this, I get a message saying I need permission from...me. I tried going into the properties and changing the ownership of the file to every available...
  7. HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!: [ATTACH] I can't delete this file, even though I have admin. I've tried to change the security permissions, but it doesn't work. Please help!...
  8. Admin Can't delete files without permission

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin Can't delete files without permission: When I go into user Accounts it says I am Admin, but when I go to delete something it says I need permission from administratordesktop-914tkhd administrator. When I go to the advances security Tab it says I have full control but I still can't delete the files in the folder....
  9. Can't delete files even with admin

Can't delete files even with admin: When i try to delete a folder i am not allowed to. When i try to change the permissions it says "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings" what can i do?...
  10. How Do You Delete Updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Do You Delete Updates?: For the past several months my pc just refuses to install updates, as when it restarts after installing them it says "Undoing changes made to your pc" Lately I get a notification saying "Time to install updates" I always end up clicking Wait an Hour. But is there a way to...