Windows 10: How do you delete a folder & contents that System has a lock on?

Discus and support How do you delete a folder & contents that System has a lock on? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a duplicate 121Gb folder on my games drive that System has a lock on and I can't delete it. It's a duplicate of one in the Windows App folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rzn6jw, Jan 2, 2018.

1. rzn6jw Win User

How do you delete a folder & contents that System has a lock on?

I've got a duplicate 121Gb folder on my games drive that System has a lock on and I can't delete it. It's a duplicate of one in the Windows App folder on my C:\ drive and I'm not sure how it got on my games drive but I need the space.

I've tried to change ownership through the various security options for the main folder, individually for the subfolders, and even on individual files. Nothing I've done at this point has made a difference in trying to delete the stuff.

I've tried RevoUninstaller and CCleaner but they only see 'installed' programs and not these folders. Outside of completely formatting my games drive, I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?

:)

rzn6jw, Jan 2, 2018

2. How do you retrieve a printer that has been removed from the printer list in Windows 10?

How do you retrieve a printer that has been removed from the printer list in Windows 10?

littledebbie(2), Jan 2, 2018
  3. How do you retrieve a printer that has been removed from the printer list in Windows 10?

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the Printer troubleshooter from the link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...4-6025-dcc1-3aefaa14ab40/fix-printer-problems

Method 2: Unplug the printer USB and reconnect the USB and check if you are getting the prompt to install the drivers for the Printer or download the latest drivers available for the printer from the manufacturer website and install the
    same and check for status.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 2, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

If forthcoming suggestions don't work I'll relate my method of using a Linux Mint LiveDVD, boot to it, locate the files/Folders and Delete. This does not give any indication of the resultant effects of doing so, it's a 'brute force' solution.
    An 18.2 .iso file used to create the disc:
    Editions for Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya" - Linux Mint
    The Cinnamon version is nice.

Berton, Jan 2, 2018
  5. storageman, Jan 2, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Another 'brute force' solution could be to boot to Advanced Start up and use the Command Prompt under Advanced options. Again, no guarantee of the resultant effects of deleting the files/folders.

*ArrowBoot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Bree, Jan 2, 2018
  7. rzn6jw Win User
    Did the 'Take Ownership' route and it worked perfectly!

Thanks a lot to all for your responses!

rzn6jw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you delete a folder & contents that System has a lock on? - Similar Threads - delete folder contents

2. how to delete a system folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to delete a system folder: How to delete a system folder under This PC which has nothing in it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-a-system-folder/45dd6f83-e577-4e2b-aa84-9e10b13bfcf4
  3. how to delete a system folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete a system folder: How to delete a system folder under This PC which has nothing in it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-a-system-folder/45dd6f83-e577-4e2b-aa84-9e10b13bfcf4
  4. how to delete a system folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do you delete a folder

How do you delete a folder: I am trying to delete a folder which is in Users. The folder is titled Public and I want to delete it. However when I do this, I get a message saying I need permission from...me. I tried going into the properties and changing the ownership of the file to every available...
  6. Is it safe to delete this folder's content?

Is it safe to delete this folder's content?: Hi, I found a folder taking up huge space, but I'm not sure if it's safe to delete it's content. C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\ It takes up 19.3gb....
  7. How do you create a new System Folder?

How do you create a new System Folder?: Howdy, How do you create a new System Folder in addition to Documents, Music, Pictures, etc...? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-create-a-new-system-folder/e6ce7ddd-d63d-4ff2-bebd-d627798b9e9f
  8. How do you delete system-protected fonts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you delete system-protected fonts?: Hi there: this happens to me most times Windows updates to a new version—I wind up with a new set of fonts. For reasons which I won’t go into here, I dislike Arial, and in the old days of Windows 7, and even the last Windows 10 I had version 1909? I managed to get rid of...
  9. Recover deleted folder and contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover deleted folder and contents: I was working using the mail app on my laptop and accidentally deleted a folder and its contents. None of this is in the deleted items folder so I cannot move it back to my inbox. Where can I find it / how can I recover it? Can easily set up a new subfolder, just want the...
  10. temporary internet files folder how do I delete contents

temporary internet files folder how do I delete contents: I use disk cleanup it shows temporary internet files folder at 2.28gb ,but won't delete it please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-internet-files-folder-how-do-i-delete/6eed5b50-079e-4a7a-b72d-26eb4a8d971e"