Windows 10: How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis?

Discus and support How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I mean the built in Windows ransomware protection submitted by /u/rigain [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rigain, Aug 4, 2020.

1. /u/rigain Win User

How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis?

I mean the built in Windows ransomware protection

submitted by /u/rigain
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rigain, Aug 4, 2020
  2. mcquicker Win User

Bug in Ransomware Protected Folders?

I have a list of 13 folders (from different drives) in the Ransomware "Protected Folders" feature.

Although the feature can be disabled completely, while enabled I can only remove 2 of the "Protected Folders" on the list.

I cannot remove/delete the others.

I tried disabling/enabling the feature from Settings and Group Policy options, and cannot do it. I also cannot find a way to remove the "Protected Folders" using regedit.

When I changed one of the drive letters, the original letter remained in "Protected Folders," and the drive with the new letter assigned was not "protected."

I wonder if this is a bug, or is something else keeping me from removing a folder listed in the "Protected Folders" once it is added.

But, if so, why some of the folders listed can be removed while others cannot?

Many thanks in advance,
    Peter Bond

mcquicker, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Percu1 Win User
    Sub-folders in ransomware protection

I want to add a folder with sub-folders in it to be protected with Windows 10 ransomware protection.

Is enough to add the root folder in ransomware protected folder options in order that all of its subfolders are also protected? Or do I have to add each sub-folder individually?

Percu1, Aug 4, 2020
  4. How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis?

Malware and ransomware protection

First things first:

1.) If you’re using Windows Defender, then the first thing you need to do is turn on Windows Defender’s new built-in
    Ransomware Protection – known as “Controlled Folder Access” (it’s disabled by default):

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/mi...-folder-access/?ocid=cx-blog-mmpc?source=mmpc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...guard/enable-controlled-folders-exploit-guard

2.) The next thing you should do is prepare for the worst by creating a backup of all of your personal files on a removable hard drive, flash drive, or recordable disk – and then disconnect the drive. If you have
    additional PCs, you can transfer your backups to those PCs. Once everything is backed up to an external device, you’re prepared to make a complete recovery in the event that your files
    are rendered inaccessible by malware or encrypted by ransomware. No one can destroy all of your personal files, or hold them hostage, if you just have your own copies of those files. It's really just that simple. So it should
    be reassuring to know that there is a surefire way to prevent the loss of import data and documents
    – because the threat landscape is evolving so rapidly that there’s really never any surefire way to prevent a malware or ransomware attack. "Back up your files" has always been the
    prime directive for any sound security strategy:

https://www.howtogeek.com/174343/ra...-is-so-dangerous-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

3.) Then, as time permits, you can go ahead and educate yourself to your heart’s content about all of the proper steps and strategies for avoiding malware and ransomware – keeping in mind, of course, that things are moving
    so fast that a good fraction of what you read will already be outdated –
    and remembering always these ancient words of wisdom: "The most profound knowledge of how to avoid pitfalls is of little use to a man trapped in a storm sewer".

GreginMich, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis?

1. How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis? - Similar Threads - enable ransomware protection

2. How can I remove the DEFAULT protected folders by Ransomware Protection?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I remove the DEFAULT protected folders by Ransomware Protection?: Causing issues with me letting take screenshots from a game on Steam, I'd like to remove the "DEFAULT" protected folders but the "Remove" button is greyed out....
  3. Change the ShortDate and LongDate System Wide per Powershell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the ShortDate and LongDate System Wide per Powershell: Hi,my Name is Maximilian.I want to automatically Change the ShortDate and LongDate.Is there any Registry Key or else which i can just change so every User who logs on and the local System automatically gets the Format dd.MM.yyyy instead of others.I know i can do this manually...
  4. How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware...

How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware...: Hello,I recently got a tip about using Windows 10's built-in controlled folder access feature to protect against ransomware attacks. In our office, though, the staff don't store any files on their Windows 10 workstations, rather, they save all of their work files on the...
  5. How do you make column width stay wide for folders

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you make column width stay wide for folders: When I go to Music and click on an album folder, I notice that the name column is too narrow to fit the title of the song, so I make the width wider, but I notice that it doesn't stay, because when I go to another album folder I see the same narrow width. 166286
  6. How do you delete system-protected fonts?

How do you delete system-protected fonts?: Hi there: this happens to me most times Windows updates to a new version—I wind up with a new set of fonts. For reasons which I won’t go into here, I dislike Arial, and in the old days of Windows 7, and even the last Windows 10 I had version 1909? I managed to get rid of...
  7. Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?

Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?: Nowadays, ransomwares are considered great risks for users. They infect system and encrypt your files and ask you to pay money to gives you the key to decrypt them. Even if you made payment, there is no guarantee to get back all your files and paying them would make...
  8. Sub-folders in ransomware protection

Sub-folders in ransomware protection: I want to add a folder with sub-folders in it to be protected with Windows 10 ransomware protection. Is enough to add the root folder in ransomware protected folder options in order that all of its subfolders are also protected? Or do I have to add each sub-folder...
  9. Audio balance on per app basis

Audio balance on per app basis: Hi All I want to find a way to control audio balance/ phase on a per app basis. Either preferably from Window 10 directly or alternatively via a third party app. As a person who regularly uses a screen reader software and video conferencing, sottphone communications...
  10. Bug in Ransomware Protected Folders?

Bug in Ransomware Protected Folders?: I have a list of 13 folders (from different drives) in the Ransomware "Protected Folders" feature. Although the feature can be disabled completely, while enabled I can only remove 2 of the "Protected Folders" on the list. I cannot remove/delete the others. I tried...