Windows 10: How do you exclude files from a system image backup?

Discus and support How do you exclude files from a system image backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Does anyone know if this works in Windows 10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...80819(v=ws.10) or if there is a different way to exclude folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by 22878, Aug 14, 2018.

1. 22878 Win User

How do you exclude files from a system image backup?

Does anyone know if this works in Windows 10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...80819(v=ws.10) or if there is a different way to exclude folders from a system image created with the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature?

:)

22878, Aug 14, 2018

2. Is My Understanding of Windows Bare Metal System / Images Backups vs. File Backups ... and Restores Correct?

So my understanding of it is like this, there are two types of backups, and they are Image Backups and Data / User File backups...

• Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Can be created with wbadim system state backup
        • Then if the Data / User File Backups are included in it, they can be removed by mounting the Image Backup, and removing the Data / User Files from it to save on space (see
          this
          )
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Excludes the Data / User File Back
        • Includes installed programs and OS system files.
        • On Windows, you'll probably also want to remove any temp files from the image such as:
          • pagefile.sys
          • hiberfil.sys
          • swapfile.sys
      • When?
        • It's best to make this after you have the machine setup the way that you want with the programs already installed on it, and after updates are installed, you'll want to back it up again...this isn't always possible, but it's likely the best time to do this.
    • Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Usually a full backup is created and then incrementals or differentials after that (and of course use a strategy like GFS)
      • When?
        • Run more frequently than image backups, these backups are scheduled and run when few people are using the system...
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Only includes the data /user files, and it does not include any of the system files and program files like the Image Backup.
    Then when you need to do disaster recovery, you restore the Image Backup first, and then when it's been recovered you add back in the
    Data / User File Backups to the system.

I know that the Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
    can be removed from the xvhd file back created in the system state backup to decrease it's size by mounting it and deleting said files
    . But I'd like to know if I first restore the
    Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups), and then restore my Data / User File Backups will I still be able to use the machine as it was when I did the backups?

Is my understanding of this correct? Is there anything I missed?

Thank you,

Andrew J. Leer

Andrew Leer, Aug 14, 2018
  3. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Aug 14, 2018
  4. How do you exclude files from a system image backup?

Exclude OneDrive from backup

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will try to provide the assistance that is required to resolve the issue.

I would like to inform that in Windows 10 Sky Drive has converted into One Drive. As per your query, I am led to believe that you wish to remove/exclude OneDrive from the list of backup files. If that is the case follow the steps that are mentioned below
    and check if it helps.

Exclude files from Backup.

1. Open Control Panel by right-clicking on the Start Menu and choosing
    Control Panel. Click or tap System and Security,
    and then tap or click File History.

2. To exclude some folders in your libraries so they do not get backed up, on the left, choose
    Exclude Folders.

3. Choose the file, folder or location that you wish to exclude and click on
    Add.

4. Once you have added the desired file, click the back arrow to get back to the
    File History window.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

How do you exclude files from a system image backup?

1. How do you exclude files from a system image backup? - Similar Threads - exclude files system

2. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup: Hi, as a gamer I have several files stored within the My Documents/My Games directory, these are not required for backup but are needed on local. In previous versions of one drive, such as that answered here...
  3. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup: Hi, as a gamer I have several files stored within the My Documents/My Games directory, these are not required for backup but are needed on local. In previous versions of one drive, such as that answered here...
  4. how do i exclude files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i exclude files: i cant find exclusions in settings, is there any other way to add exclusions to files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-exclude-files/36dcef85-2df3-4de6-b3ed-7ae43afb7b47
  5. how do i exclude files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i exclude files: i cant find exclusions in settings, is there any other way to add exclusions to files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-exclude-files/36dcef85-2df3-4de6-b3ed-7ae43afb7b47
  6. System Image vs File Backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Image vs File Backup?: Sorry if this is the wrong subreddit for this, but after fiddling around with the Windows File System backup and having it run into a bunch of issues, I finally decided to get the Macrium Reflect software. Now that I have easier access to making a system image though, I’m...
  7. how to exclude one folder from backup in a folder backup by onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to exclude one folder from backup in a folder backup by onedrive: when i unsync one folder in a folder synced by onedrivestupid onedrive delete it from my pc, super high-hand microsoft **** tactics, no wonder people hated microsoftso how do i exclude one folder from backup in a folder that is synced to onedrivewhy delete my pc copy when i...
  8. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  9. Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup: Hello, I have a quick question about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" feature on Windows 10. I set up a backup months ago to include a system image and some personal data and everything worked fine. I notice this backup feature tried to backup my game dedicated drive...
  10. Excluding a default drive from a system image backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Excluding a default drive from a system image backup?: Hi all, My OS became corrupt yesterday (totally unbootable) so I've had to start from scratch. Due to this experience, I'm very keen to have a full system image backup to save me having to spend a day rebuilding my operating environment if something similar happens again....