Windows 10: How do you get an old product key back from a completely dead computer?

Discus and support How do you get an old product key back from a completely dead computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I own a MacBook Air now for art but I'm trying to make it so it could use "Bootcamp assistant" to switch back and forth from IOS to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by HiddenPredacon, Jul 19, 2020.

1. How do you get an old product key back from a completely dead computer?

Hello,

I own a MacBook Air now for art but I'm trying to make it so it could use "Bootcamp assistant" to switch back and forth from IOS to Windows 10 so I can play PC games. I had an old Windows 10 but it's completely dead/unusable now. I had a product key with it but I'm not sure how to get it back. Or if it was possible to get a completely new one from somewhere. Or get the old one from some worker.

Is there a way to get that product key back or would I have to get a new one somehow?

:)

HiddenPredacon, Jul 19, 2020
  2. Cliff S Win User

Using the current device's product key on my another device.

On old PC:
    Uninstall retail product key:

1. Disable secure boot(if turned on in BIOS)
    2. Boot into Windows
    3. Enter slmgr /upk and wait for this to complete. This will uninstall the current product key from Windows and put it into an unlicensed state.
    4. Enter slmgr /cpky and wait for this to complete. This will remove the product key from the registry if it's still there.
    5. Restart
    6. Wait a little while and then use the retail key on the new machine.
    7. Set up secure boot(recommended)
    Your old machine should go back to home, or you might need to do a clean install, I'm not sure there.

Cliff S, Jul 19, 2020
  3. FinZak Win User
    Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Jul 19, 2020
  4. How do you get an old product key back from a completely dead computer?

How do you get of Chrome?

Hi Barry,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open command prompt. (Type it in Search or Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Command Prompt admin).

• Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

• Then try uninstalling the Chrome from the Control Panel.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

How do you get an old product key back from a completely dead computer?

1. How do you get an old product key back from a completely dead computer? - Similar Threads - old product key

2. Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC: My old PC died, and I have a new PC now and need to activate windows.I un-linked my old PC from my account thinking it would transfer the license to my new PC but that didn't work.I don't have the email that has my product key because it was through my school email address...
  3. Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC: My old PC died, and I have a new PC now and need to activate windows.I un-linked my old PC from my account thinking it would transfer the license to my new PC but that didn't work.I don't have the email that has my product key because it was through my school email address...
  4. how to get my old windows 10 product key back

how to get my old windows 10 product key back: recently i upgraded my laptop from an hdd to an ssd and i want my windows 10 product key back from my old hdd to put in my ssd so how do i get a new windows 10 install while having an OEM windows 10 my dad installed it for me but I'd rather stay with unactivated windows...
  5. how to get my old windows 10 product key back

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to get my old windows 10 product key back: recently i upgraded my laptop from an hdd to an ssd and i want my windows 10 product key back from my old hdd to put in my ssd so how do i get a new windows 10 install while having an OEM windows 10 my dad installed it for me but I'd rather stay with unactivated windows...
  6. how to get my old windows 10 product key back

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. need product key from dead computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    need product key from dead computer: My Dell Inspiron has a bad hard drive. I need to get the product tag so I can create a media disk for windows 10 to install on the new drive. If there are no more physical tags anymore, who can I contact to get this info? Thank you!!!! Bill A....
  8. need product key from dead computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need product key from dead computer: My Dell Inspiron has a bad hard drive. I need to get the product tag so I can create a media disk for windows 10 to install on the new drive. If there are no more physical tags anymore, who can I contact to get this info? Thank you!!!! Bill A....
  9. need product key from dead computer

10. How to Reclaim Old GFWL Product Keys Service Dead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Reclaim Old GFWL Product Keys Service Dead: Hello, I've been trying to migrate my RE5 save-data via the in-game feature so that I can utilize Steamworks. However, any attempt to do so asks for a Product Key which I can no longer acquire as the old GFWL services always throw up an error when it tries to download my...