Windows 10: How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?

Discus and support How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm used to working with quite a few libraries in W8.1 and would like file explorer in W10 to directly go to the libraries view if possible rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?

I'm used to working with quite a few libraries in W8.1 and would like file explorer in W10 to directly go to the libraries view if possible rather than the 'quick access' screen.

Can it be done ?

:)

Mooly, Jun 17, 2015

2. Pictures not apprearing in photo app

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the delay.

Try to restore default libraries and check.

To restore the computer's default libraries, follow these steps.

Note: Deleting and re-creating the libraries does not affect the data in the libraries.

1. Open Windows/File Explorer.

2. In the left pane, click Libraries.

Note: If you don't see "Libraries" listed, tap or click View at the top of the screen. On the Navigation pane drop-down menu, make sure that Show libraries is selected.

3. Right-click each library (Pictures) and then tap or click Delete.

4. In the left pane, right-click (or tap and hold) Libraries, and then select Restore default libraries. This action re-creates the libraries.
    All the data in the library folders should again be accessible through Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jun 17, 2015
  3. Random files not showing up in Documents library

Oh library missing it. Not sure how I missed that. The library depends on indexing, so you might check that your indexing service is running and finished.

The first troubleshooting step I'd try is to delete the library itself, then right-click the libraries header in file explorer and choose "restore default libraries".

If you want, you can make a backup of your existing library (it's just a search definition file, you can open it in notepad if you wanted to view what it uses as search criteria).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 17, 2015
  4. JimWiz1 Win User

Yes. Open your file explorer, select View, on the far left pick the drop down Navigation Pane, and put a check in Show Libraries.
    Live long and Prosper,

JimWiz1, Jun 17, 2015
  5. Charlie Win User
    view
    I go to options on the right change to this pc

Charlie, Jun 17, 2015
  6. If I understand OP correctly, then the answer is No. You can make File Explorer open either Quick Access or This PC, but not the Libraries. Which is, what I would like to have too, BTW. The closet you can get to it is to pin Libraries to Quick Access and then set the File Explorer to open on Quick Access. However, this does not open the library tree in the left pane, but in right pane only:-(.

Olivir2014, Jun 17, 2015
  7. Mooly Win User
    Thanks guys. This is the view I want to see when I click File Explorer, which from what you say seems as though it can not done.

Mooly, Jun 17, 2015
  8. How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  9. Mooly Win User
    Thanks Slartybart, I'm on the 8.1 pc at the moment so it will be tomorrow morning before I get chance to give those a try.

Mooly, Jun 17, 2015
  10. JimWiz1 Win User
    OK, sorry I misunderstood your question. This PC and Quick Access are all the show up in the Open File Explorer to: Folder Options.

How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ? [​IMG]

JimWiz1, Jun 17, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    Not really, but you could go to the default Desktop and right click on Libraries and create a short cut, place that somewhere in C:, create another shortcut on the desktop with the new Libraries one as 'Path' and then pin that to the taskbar.

Edwin, Jun 18, 2015
  12. That's sort of what the tutorial prescribes.

The target in the Libraries.zip (contains one shortcut) is :

%WinDir%\explorer.exe /e,::{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}

Slartybart, Jun 18, 2015
  13. Edwin New Member

ARRRGH! Sorry bout that! *Redface
    I didn't pay attention!

Edwin, Jun 18, 2015
  14. No problem ... your answer was spot on, I found the tut and posted it. *Cool

Slartybart, Jun 18, 2015
  15. Mooly Win User
    Terrific, thanks guys. A combination of things from your replies enabled me to do it. I ran Shawns zip file to create a new shortcut for the desktop and that worked but was 'blocked' needing UAC to run it. Looking at properties and there was no obvious 'unblock' option as shown in the TUT so at this point I just copied the target from the properties box and pasted that into a new shortcut I created, which worked straight off. That could then be dragged the tray. I did see there is an option to create a library tile by right clicking 'Libraries' but no option to pin to the taskbar. I'd call that a serious omission.

So thanks again... lol, the power of the forum.

Mooly, Jun 18, 2015
Thema:

1. How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ? - Similar Threads - file explorer open

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. how the **** do you change the default file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how the **** do you change the default file explorer: how do i change the default file explorer or add it in the next update if its not a feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-the-do-you-change-the-default-file-explorer/1da6fb64-fdf4-4708-a433-45d80298873f
  4. how the **** do you change the default file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how the **** do you change the default file explorer: how do i change the default file explorer or add it in the next update if its not a feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-the-do-you-change-the-default-file-explorer/1da6fb64-fdf4-4708-a433-45d80298873f
  5. How do you get this to default to *all files* when you browse?

How do you get this to default to *all files* when you browse?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DisastrousBet7320 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l9mz12/how_do_you_get_this_to_default_to_all_files_when/
  6. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  7. File explorer opens to quick access and weird layout. How do I get back to the default...

File explorer opens to quick access and weird layout. How do I get back to the default...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sean_Owe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hs1mtu/file_explorer_opens_to_quick_access_and_weird/
  8. How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

How do you change the default app for opening a single file?: I've tried googling and searching the various subreddits. All the results are for how to change the default app for all files of a particular extension. How do you change the default app for opening a single file? In this case I want a particular .txt file to open with...
  9. "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "How do you want to open this file?": This pops up on my computer randomly, but generally every 5 to 10 minutes. It disappears on mouse click, but is annoying. Especially if in the middle of some work. See the attached screen shot. I have read through many posts regarding a variation of this popup that includes...
  10. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. registre: %WinDir%\explorer.exe /e ::{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}