Windows 10: How do you get the sort bar on file explorer Windows 10

Discus and support How do you get the sort bar on file explorer Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've tried everything, but I cannot find out how to get the sort options bar to come down when I open a file, thus, I cannot choose my sort options... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Matty1961, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Matty1961 Win User

How do you get the sort bar on file explorer Windows 10

I've tried everything, but I cannot find out how to get the sort options bar to come down when I open a file, thus, I cannot choose my sort options like I need to. Why? I right-clicked on the bars and there was no "view" option like when I open, say, the Documents folder. If I hit CTRL-O, I get the same folder but without all the sort features that I need.

This forum won't let me post the screen shot so you will know what I mean.

All I am trying to do is find the file options bar when I open a window with CTRL-O. I don't understand why the options are there sometimes, and then other times they are. Like when I upload a file, the file-opener browser won't let me sort according to name or type or date modified, etc.

:)

Matty1961, Oct 15, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Oct 15, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 15, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

dalchina, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

1. How do you get the sort bar on file explorer Windows 10 - Similar Threads - sort bar file

2. How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?: I don't know how or why, but when I go into File Explorer the bar at the top where you can click to sort by name, status, date, etc has become highlighted white and the text behind it is unreadable, plus it's annoying to look at. I use dark mode, but it seems like that part...
  3. How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?: I don't know how or why, but when I go into File Explorer the bar at the top where you can click to sort by name, status, date, etc has become highlighted white and the text behind it is unreadable, plus it's annoying to look at. I use dark mode, but it seems like that part...
  4. How do you delete the "Search Quick Access" bar history in File Explorer (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you delete the "Search Quick Access" bar history in File Explorer (Windows 10): Something that's been bugging me for quite a long time and now my OCD is getting the best of me as I'm glued to my computer at home. I've tried going into File Explorer Options and clicking the "clear" button in the privacy section, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to...
  5. File Explorer Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  6. How do you fix big bar windows 10 in windows explorer

How do you fix big bar windows 10 in windows explorer: is there a fix to the big search bar in the windows explorer [ATTACH] its appose to look like this [ATTACH] got this image online to show you what it looks like normally....
  7. Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *

Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *: We all like our stuff organized in some way so we can locate them easily. However, I cannot seems to find a way to organized my Chinese titled file in any meaningful way.This post is specifically asking if there is a way to edit registry/some program/setting changes/what not...
  8. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...
  9. How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?: Currently I can only get all folders sorted and then all files sorted. I'd like to get them to sort together. Specifically this is for my Movies drive, which has thousands of films... most are in folders, but some are just files. I searched here and elsewhere, but did not...
  10. How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?: I'm used to working with quite a few libraries in W8.1 and would like file explorer in W10 to directly go to the libraries view if possible rather than the 'quick access' screen. Can it be done ? 7180