Windows 10: How do you import contacts into Windows 10 Mail from Thunderbird?

Discus and support How do you import contacts into Windows 10 Mail from Thunderbird? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have contacts in my Thunderbird email client on my old laptop and when I bought a new laptop I've decided to try using the Windows 10 Mail app.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Razz, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Razz Win User

How do you import contacts into Windows 10 Mail from Thunderbird?

I have contacts in my Thunderbird email client on my old laptop and when I bought a new laptop I've decided to try using the Windows 10 Mail app. instead of installing Thunderbird. However, I can't figure out how import my contacts from Thunderbird.

Naturally if this is not possible then it doesn't make sense switching to Windows 10 mail because I have quite the number of contacts.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Razz, Jun 9, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

People - How do you import contacts into People for Windows 10?

I only use a MS account for my sign-in & Windows 10 mail, which is why it works for me. Google mail I access via a browser and use their contacts that way. (I don't try to mix systems)

All I can suggest is you report the problems via the Feedback Hub for the developers to see, or search for any similar reports and Upvote them.

neilpzz, Jun 9, 2017
  3. sud0nim Win User
    People - How do you import contacts into People for Windows 10?

Hi neilpzz,

W10 came with a program call Mail version 17.8008.420010. I could not make it work so installed Windows Live Mail which I am still using. I did manage to get my contacts into Live Mail but messed around trying so many things I don't really know what worked
    in the end.

My main point is - why do MS make life so difficult ? I am currently trying to get rid of Groove Music so that it does not keep replacing Windows Media Player which is much superior. But in its wisdom, MS has made GM unresponsive to Uninstall utility -
    I have to go through the Default apps by file type and replace GM by WMP individually, even tho' the default music player already set to WMP. What kind of Trog makes these decisions ?

sud0nim, Jun 9, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. This is performed using the People app.

People app > Settings gear (lower left) > Add an account > Advanced setup > Choose which type > Fill out required.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...eople-app-help

Mail app, Calendar app, and People app are all closely intertwined working via your MS account.

Tony K, Jun 9, 2017
  5. Razz Win User
    Thanks for your reply HippsieGypsie. Unfortunately this does not help me. The instructions and the link you provided, does not tell you anything about importing "contacts" from Thunderbird or any other email client with perhaps the exception of Outlook.

Windows 10 Mail did import contacts from my Yahoo account after I added that account. Unfortunately most of these contacts are not my personal contacts that I have in Thunderbird.

Razz, Jun 9, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Don't know why that would not work according to the snip from the help page I linked.

Did you add the account?

If that doesn't/didn't work then add your Thunderbird email account to the Mail app since it imported from your Yahoo account. You may end up with duplicate and/or mixed personal with business contacts, though.

You might consider using Office Outlook for business. Much more professional IMO.

How do you import contacts into Windows 10 Mail from Thunderbird? [​IMG]

Tony K, Jun 9, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Haven't use it in quite a while but doesn't Thunderbird have an Export of contacts/addresses to a .csv file that can be imported to other programs? The .csv file can be opened in a spreadsheet program such as Excel or QuattroPro. And it can be used for the Import in Contacts located in C:\Users\YOUR_NAME_HERE\Contacts.

Berton, Jun 9, 2017
  8. Razz Win User

@HippsieGypsie, still doesn't allow import from an email client like Thunderbird. Please see image.

Razz, Jun 9, 2017
  9. Razz Win User
    You are absolutely right, Thunderbird does have export to a .csv file. The problem is that Windows 10 Mail doesn't have any means to import the .csv file.

Razz, Jun 9, 2017
  10. Helmut Win User
    Export Contacts from Thunderbird as a *.CSV file.

Use a Gmail Account. You can import a *.CSV Contacts file into that Gmail Account using the Web Interface. Then set that up in the Windows 10 Mail App.

Then obviously sync that to the Mail App and the linked People App(Contacts).

Don't think you can do that with Outlook Mail or Yahoo Mail account, least I can't find an import *.CSV option.

Helmut, Jun 9, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    @Razz

I think I found a way to import .csv file. Not totally sure since I haven't performed it.

Export your Tbird contacts as a .csv file and save somewhere > Sign into Outlook.com online > In the upper left corner click on the 9-squares menu link and choose People. In People click on "Manage" > Choose "Import contacts" > Choose "Windows Live Mail" > Choose "Browse" > Point it to your .csv file > Select "Upload".

Tony K, Jun 9, 2017
  12. Helmut Win User
    Ah, there it is in Outlook Mail > People in the disguise of the Windows Live Mail Icon....

Helmut, Jun 9, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

Hi there, @Helmut. Not quite. I edited my post. Not totally sure, for I haven't performed this. I've had an MS account for many years and used their mail clients, so I've had no need to.

The People app is a modern Store app with no way to import .csv files. I'm thinking the Windows Live Mail (Icon) is a portal to upload a .csv file into one's MS account.

Tony K, Jun 9, 2017
  14. Razz Win User
    Sorry for the late response. Thank you so much for the tip, It worked but unfortunately there is still a problem. I now have all my contacts in People folder; however, only the initial contacts that came from my yahoo account appear when I fill in the "To:" field on a new email. In other words: One of my contacts that I had in Thunderbird was "Carole" and when I wish to send Carole an email I type "C" (now all the contacts under "C" should show up as options, but "Carole", who has been imported from Thunderbird to Windows 10 Mail, does not show up). Very weird. Also when I click the little people icon with the plus sign at the right side of the "To:" field in a new email, Carole is not listed there either. Please see image to hopefully clarify what I mean.

15. Tony K Win User
    Oh for cry eye! Don't you just love tech?!! Sheesh! *really

I'm in my Insider partition and the People app link is broke. Let me reboot to my W10 CU where I can get at People. Be right back.

Tony K, Jun 10, 2017
Thema:

1. How do you import contacts into Windows 10 Mail from Thunderbird? - Similar Threads - import contacts Mail

2. How do I import contacts file to mail?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I import contacts file to mail?: How do I import contacts in a documents file to mail@ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-import-contacts-file-to-mail/c3f605a6-ac33-4048-85f4-b4c2e77b5fda
  3. Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10: I have my contacts from Live Mail in a cvs file...how do I import them into my new computer with Mail on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-contacts-from-live-mail-to-mail-on-windows/2edaa469-79ac-4cf7-84d8-99d65a999e77
  4. Importing email messages from Mail for Windows 10 to Thunderbird

Importing email messages from Mail for Windows 10 to Thunderbird: Hi, I've been using Mail for Windows 10 and am now moving over to Thunderbird. One of my accounts only supports POP3 so the messages from the last few years are stored in Mail. As there is no Import/Export option in Mail, I've been trying to find out how I can achieve this....
  5. Import email contacts from Window Mail

Import email contacts from Window Mail: I recently purchased a new windows 10 computer. Is their a method to import my contacts from the older computer wirelessly? Fortunately the older computer works and I guess that a couple could be made and transferred somehow. Thanks for any help....
  6. How to import contacts into Windows 10 Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to import contacts into Windows 10 Mail: How do we import contacts into Windows 10 Mail, this seems to be an unanswered problem effecting many people. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-import-contacts-into-windows-10-mail/a2f9786c-c706-4817-956c-86fa45c1f8d6
  7. How do I import contacts and emails from Live Mail to Windows 10 Mail app?

How do I import contacts and emails from Live Mail to Windows 10 Mail app?: Just purchased a new laptop with Windows 10. On my old computer I was using Live Mail. I have lots of Contacts and lots of Saved emails in Live Mail. I'm having trouble figuring out how to transfer all of that info from Live Mail to Windows 10 Mail app. How do I...
  8. Import contacts into Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Import contacts into Mail: Can someone please tell me how to import my Thunderbird email contacts into Win10 Mail? I have exported my TB address book to a cvs file if that is any help. Thanks in advance. 86249
  9. Mail app import address book FROM Thunderbird

in Browsers and Email
    Mail app import address book FROM Thunderbird: How do I import address book from Thunderbird to Windows Mail? What protocol does Mail support? 59694
  10. Importing mail and contacts from Windows mail in Vista

in Browsers and Email
    Importing mail and contacts from Windows mail in Vista: I am trying to move the email for a friend after she got a Windows 10 laptop. Her old pc is on Vista. After searching I have that there is no way to import email into the new Windows mail in Windows 10. Can anybody recommend a good free email app that can import the mail and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. import contacts from thunderbird to windows mail app

2. import contacts from thunderbird into windows mail 10

3. import contacts to windows 10 mail

4. windows 10 contacts list,
  5. importing emails from Thunderbird into windows 10,
  6. how do i import contacts into windows mail,
  7. windows 10 import contacts for email,
  8. outlook import thunderbird contacts windows 10,
  9. import email into windows 10,
  10. how do i import e mail into windows 10 mail,
  11. how do you transfer email contacts to windows 10