Windows 10: How do you make program folders?

Discus and support How do you make program folders? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In previous versions of windows, you could make program folders and nest the programs you wanted inside of them; I have no clue as to how to do that in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wase4711, Jun 13, 2015.

1. wase4711 Win User

How do you make program folders?

In previous versions of windows, you could make program folders and nest the programs you wanted inside of them; I have no clue as to how to do that in windows 10; I had them organzied that way in Win 7, and after upgrading to 10, some of them do show up on the start menu, although not all of them, but I dont see them anywhere in File Explorer, or any where else that I could work with..

thanks if you can help!

:)

wase4711, Jun 13, 2015

2. How do you make it so you do not have to enter you password everytime you start your computer?

You can set it to not have to have a password when just waking up from sleep mode, but after a full system shutdown it will always ask for a password.

Luckily, most people don't have to bother with a full system shutdown these days, so you can just use sleep mode and be fine. To turn off the "after sleep" password, just right-click your power icon by the clock and go to Power options, then on the left
    you'll see the option for password after sleep mode.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 13, 2015
  3. How do you make it so you do not have to enter you password everytime you start your computer?

How do make it so you do not have to sign in every time you start your computer?

nicholasmcmillan, Jun 13, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Do you mean you want to create folders to hold the actual programs, exe's etc. or just folders for program shortcuts to pin to the Start Menu?

Edwin, Jun 13, 2015
  5. wase4711 Win User
    actually, either one would be fine, I just want to make program groups, like "internet", "disk utilities" "multimedia". and put a shortcut to the executable file or the program itself in there; either way would be fine, I just want an easy way to group similiar programs together.

So, in the "internet" program group, I wold have IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc in there...In the "disk utilities" I would have winzip, CC cleaner, Malwarebytes, etc in there...

Does that make sense?

wase4711, Jun 13, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    ... strictly for the Start Menu?

Edwin, Jun 13, 2015
  7. wase4711 Win User
    yep, just to be on the start menu, for fast, easy access..

thanks!

wase4711, Jun 13, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

K, without using a third party menu app, it's a little involved but, let me pop over to my W10 side and I'll post a few ways to accomplish what you desire.
    Be right back! *Smile

Edwin, Jun 13, 2015
  9. wase4711 Win User
    thanks man, it used to be easy to do in win 7! *Confused

wase4711, Jun 13, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    K, here's probably the easiest way:

You'll need to be signed on as Administrator and show 'hidden files and folders' to do this!

Then, navigate to the locations circled on the title bars, create new folders in each location and move your desired shortcuts to those new folders. (You'll only be able to do this with Win32 program shortcuts and, the folders and/or shortcuts will only show in the 'All Apps' Menu.)

When done, you may have to restart Explorer.

How do you make program folders? [​IMG]

(I named the folders 1-....... so they would be at the top of the Menu list!) *Wink

Edwin, Jun 13, 2015
  11. wase4711 Win User
    thanks man, now that I know the path to that folder, it will be easy for me to organize it!
    Although a few of my "groups" now show up in the alphabetical location where you would think they normally would!

I used your naming convention of "1-___ to get them to show up on top*chuckle

thanks again! *Party*Wink

wase4711, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you make program folders? - Similar Threads - program folders

2. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  3. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  4. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not: I've been having this issue where I try to delete a program or folder, but I can't because my computer says its currently in use and is open in another program, even though its not open anywhere on my computer. No matter how hard I click on 'try again', it won't let me delete...
  6. Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not

Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not: I've been having this issue where I try to delete a program or folder, but I can't because my computer says its currently in use and is open in another program, even though its not open anywhere on my computer. No matter how hard I click on 'try again', it won't let me delete...
  7. Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder: I am installing a newer version of Office on my Windows 11 PC. I ran the uninstall app and also used the MS Recovery Assistant tool to remove Office 2016. I ran the tool after running the uninstall app and the tool still found leftover Office files and removed them. However,...
  8. Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder

Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder: I am installing a newer version of Office on my Windows 11 PC. I ran the uninstall app and also used the MS Recovery Assistant tool to remove Office 2016. I ran the tool after running the uninstall app and the tool still found leftover Office files and removed them. However,...
  9. mntemp in program data folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    mntemp in program data folder: Hello what is this file i found in my program data folder i have used windows defender to scan it and it has no threats i can just delete it without a problem but is it a malware? i got mix answer from googling. Currently it is in my recycle bin, I got this Do i just delete...
  10. mntemp in program data folder

mntemp in program data folder: Hello what is this file i found in my program data folder i have used windows defender to scan it and it has no threats i can just delete it without a problem but is it a malware? i got mix answer from googling. Currently it is in my recycle bin, I got this Do i just delete...