Windows 10: How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?

Discus and support How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Whenever I wake my PC from sleep, I get an error telling me that my desktop folder is inaccessible. Everything is missing but the Recycle bin. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FrancisTuazon, Aug 31, 2021.

1. How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?

Whenever I wake my PC from sleep, I get an error telling me that my desktop folder is inaccessible. Everything is missing but the Recycle bin. Then after a short while, my files will reappear probably my HDDs are still warming up and are not yet ready when requested by the system. The problem is that my file arrangement is reset all files are on the left side of the screen. How do you prevent Windows from resetting your desktop when the desktop folder is inaccessible temporarily?Windows is currently installed on an NMVe SSD and my Desktop, Downloads, Documents, etc. folders are located on

:)

FrancisTuazon, Aug 31, 2021

2. desktop icon arrangement

Hello,

Kindly further elaborate your concern, to assist you better.

In the meantime, you may follow the step below to see if this would address your concern:

• Right-click on your desktop > Click View.

Note: If you want to manually arrange your desktop icons uncheck Auto arrange icons
    then drag your icons depending on where you want to place them on your desktop. If you want your icons to be aligned to the grid, check
    Align icons to grid.

Let us know what happens after.

Regile Reb, Aug 31, 2021
  3. How to arrange desktop shotcuts in Windows 10.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you want to know how to arrange desktop shortcuts.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you not able to move and arrange the shortcut icons on the desktop?

• Did you check if the Auto arrange icons option is enabled on your PC?

Enabling Auto arrange icons option will not let you to manually place the icons in the order of your choice. If you turn off the
    Auto arrange icons option, you will be able to place the icons anywhere on your desktop screen.

Check if you have enabled Auto arrange icon option on your PC by following the steps below:

• Right click on the empty space of the desktop and hover the mouse over
      View option.

• Check if the Auto arrange icons option is checked.

• If the option is checked, uncheck the
      Auto arrange icons option from the sub window.

• Close the windows, arrange the icons as per your choice and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 31, 2021
  4. How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?

auto arrange icon desktop , why ?

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the steps and check if it helps.

a) Right click on Desktop.

b) Click on View.

c) Uncheck both "Arrange icons to grid" and "Auto arrange icons".

d) Restart the computer and check if it helps.

Anannya Podder, Aug 31, 2021
Thema:

How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?

1. How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement? - Similar Threads - prevent forgetting Desktop

2. How do you revise or delete the Hint on the sign-in page if you forget your password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you revise or delete the Hint on the sign-in page if you forget your password: How do you change or delete the Password Hint on the sign-in screen? The Hint is no longer helpful because my password has been changed and I there are no instructions on how to revise or delete the Hint....
  3. How do you revise or delete the Hint on the sign-in page if you forget your password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you revise or delete the Hint on the sign-in page if you forget your password: How do you change or delete the Password Hint on the sign-in screen? The Hint is no longer helpful because my password has been changed and I there are no instructions on how to revise or delete the Hint....
  4. How do you save your desktop icon placement?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you save your desktop icon placement?: It's been a while but has happened twice in the past couple weeks that my desktop icons were rearranged, one was due to a recent windows update I read, and that one removed some, if not all, of my icons, I don't remember exactly. And just a day or 2 ago my icons were randomly...
  5. How do you get desktop notifications from Your Phone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you get desktop notifications from Your Phone?: I've just gone about a test transition from Pushbullet, and I'm wondering how I get notifications on the PC for notifications on the phone. I can obviously see notifications if I launch the application, but they don't appear to be showing on in my Action Centre or whatever...
  6. How do I prevent the windows account from changing the desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I prevent the windows account from changing the desktop?: I've got Windows 10 Pro going on two machines now, my desktop PC and my laptop. I use my windows account to login to each of them. I have different desktop pictures on each of my machines and that is how I want it, I want each machine to be using a different image. About once...
  7. How To Chnage Your Computer Password If You Forget With Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How To Chnage Your Computer Password If You Forget With Microsoft Account: How To Chnage Your Computer Password If You Forget With Microsoft Account I Read More Articles They Said Reset Microsoft Account passowrd i also reset i didn't get any change please answer my question fast beacuse i forget my computer password now how can i reset please...
  8. How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop"

How do you decouple the external monitor "desktop" from your laptop's "desktop": I'm working on a new Dell Windows 10 laptop after working for many years on a Mac. I am trying to do something very simple - put some applications on my external monitor to work on while I use multiple desktops on my laptop's screen. For some reason that I cannot understand,...
  9. How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?

How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?: I've been searching all over the internet for the correct answer to this question for at least a couple of hours now. None of the answers I found helped except for the following, which isn't really an answer: 1) Turn off Auto Arrange Icons 2) Make sure Align to Grid is...
  10. How do you arrange files by month?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you arrange files by month?: Just downloaded 10. How do you sort files (photos) by month? 17943