Windows 10: How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware...

Discus and support How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello,I recently got a tip about using Windows 10's built-in controlled folder access feature to protect against ransomware attacks. In our office,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PublicHealthIT, Jun 3, 2021.

1. How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware...

Hello,I recently got a tip about using Windows 10's built-in controlled folder access feature to protect against ransomware attacks. In our office, though, the staff don't store any files on their Windows 10 workstations, rather, they save all of their work files on the server running Windows Server 2012 R2, which has several thousand shared folders. That said, from an IT administrator's perspective, what is the best way to protect the folders and files on our server from being encrypted by a ransomware attacker?Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

:)

PublicHealthIT, Jun 3, 2021
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware... :)

Frogger, Jun 3, 2021
  3. bakasamaz Win User
    How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

Hi all I have a question for you all Networking Expert out there. Im running a small networking at my house. this Network consist of 3 computers : My computer, My sister's and My mom's. My computer act as a Network Harddrive, I share a lot of Files in my computer. Sometimes my sister like to pull over some files from my computer, but there are some folders where i dont like her to open. Im thinking to Password Protect a certain folders, so whenever she or my mom open those certain folders a pop up will show up asking for password (im thinking to password protect because sometimes I need to able to access those folders from either my mom's or sister's computer) Is there anyway to do this? third party Program? all computers in my network running Windows XP.

bakasamaz, Jun 3, 2021
  4. Percu1 Win User

How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware...

Sub-folders in ransomware protection

I want to add a folder with sub-folders in it to be protected with Windows 10 ransomware protection.

Is enough to add the root folder in ransomware protected folder options in order that all of its subfolders are also protected? Or do I have to add each sub-folder individually?

Percu1, Jun 3, 2021
Thema:

How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware...

1. How do you protect network folders and files i.e. folders on the server from ransomware... - Similar Threads - protect network folders

2. I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.: I use 'Controlled folder access' feature in 'Ransomeware protection' on Windows 10 to prevent ransomware attacks. in the 'Protected folders' list i can specify the folders that i want to protect. No application will be able to modify or delete the files inside the folders on...
  3. I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.: I use 'Controlled folder access' feature in 'Ransomeware protection' on Windows 10 to prevent ransomware attacks. in the 'Protected folders' list i can specify the folders that i want to protect. No application will be able to modify or delete the files inside the folders on...
  4. I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How can I remove the DEFAULT protected folders by Ransomware Protection?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I remove the DEFAULT protected folders by Ransomware Protection?: Causing issues with me letting take screenshots from a game on Steam, I'd like to remove the "DEFAULT" protected folders but the "Remove" button is greyed out....
  6. How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you enable ransomware protection system-wide and not just on a per folder basis?: I mean the built in Windows ransomware protection submitted by /u/rigain [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i3pjtq/how_do_you_enable_ransomware_protection/
  7. Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?

Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?: Nowadays, ransomwares are considered great risks for users. They infect system and encrypt your files and ask you to pay money to gives you the key to decrypt them. Even if you made payment, there is no guarantee to get back all your files and paying them would make...
  8. Sub-folders in ransomware protection

Sub-folders in ransomware protection: I want to add a folder with sub-folders in it to be protected with Windows 10 ransomware protection. Is enough to add the root folder in ransomware protected folder options in order that all of its subfolders are also protected? Or do I have to add each sub-folder...
  9. Ransomware protection on networks

in Windows 10 Support
    Ransomware protection on networks: I don't have a specific problem as much as a concern. There has been a lot of media attention to Ransomware lately, including infecting all systems on a network. We have several computers connected to a home network. All of the main systems run W10 (except for a couple of...
  10. Bug in Ransomware Protected Folders?

Bug in Ransomware Protected Folders?: I have a list of 13 folders (from different drives) in the Ransomware "Protected Folders" feature. Although the feature can be disabled completely, while enabled I can only remove 2 of the "Protected Folders" on the list. I cannot remove/delete the others. I tried...