Windows 10: How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM.

Discus and support How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop was running win 10 when I upgraded it to an edu license so I could bitlocker encode its hard drive. It has no TPM hardware so I had to type a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by asusx205ta, Dec 22, 2016.

1. How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM.

My laptop was running win 10 when I upgraded it to an edu license so I could bitlocker encode its hard drive. It has no TPM hardware so I had to type a password at boot time to boot. I forgot how I was able to disable the random timeout on that password entry. It is very annoying. It times out and shuts the computer power at random, between 1 second and 30 seconds after displaying the entry. After the annual update, that has come back to haunt me once more.

Anyone still remembering how to disable this non-sense bitlocker password boot timeout? I'll write down the solution this time!

:)

asusx205ta, Dec 22, 2016

2. Bitlocker on my newer model laptop with TPM chip

I am sorry but the link that you provided was of no use. My bitlocker is apparently working as it should on this Samsung S9 laptop which has a TPM chip, but no TPM module. I took it to a computer shop to discover that the module is missing. We also turned
    off bitlocker and the laptop decrypted in about 20 minutes. That is fast considering that there is 80GB+ data on its SSD hard drive.

I am no happy that my laptop boots up directly to the Windows password screen. I need it to boot up the the bitlocker password screen first.

Do I possibly need to change the settings on my TPM chip equipped (but not TPM module equipped) laptop as I did on my desktop PCs that do not have TPM chips? On those I changed the settings to authenticate without TPM.

Please help me figure out how to make my laptop boot to the bitlocker password screen before proceeding to the Windows password screen.

RichardKing LUTCF CLU ChFC, Dec 22, 2016
  3. CraigLong Win User
    remove bitlocker encryption

Hi Leon,

I use a password to unlock the drive. You shouldn't have to use the recovery key to get in each time.

That's what the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) device does is to store the encryption key for you so you don't have to enter anything. Do you have a TPM on your motherboard?

I don't have any TPM on my computers so I just followed this article to enable Bitlocker in the Local Group Policy Editor and then I selected to use the password option:

How to Use BitLocker Without a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

How to Set Up BitLocker Encryption on Windows

CraigLong, Dec 22, 2016
  4. How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM.

asusx205ta, Dec 24, 2016
Thema:

How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM.

1. How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM. - Similar Threads - remove timeout bitlocker

2. Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey: Hi, Which would be more secure? BitLocker with TPM, password, and usb-key or yubikey? I believe I know how to configure the 3-factor combo in Windows 10 pro, but not the yubikey. Thank-You! 182280
  3. Pre-boot BitLocker password typing affected by TPM?

Pre-boot BitLocker password typing affected by TPM?: I wish I encountered normal problems, but no. I expect this will be another one that no one can explain... I have been using my Win10 system for well over a year now. I only just enabled the TPM in the BIOS, to check if my system is Win11 compatible (it is). My BIOS version...
  4. Bitlocker on a non-TPM computer how secure is the password?

Bitlocker on a non-TPM computer how secure is the password?: I went thru the steps to enable bitlocker without a TPM module. I set it up to enter a password before bootup. Every thing appears to be working okay, but my question is just how secure is the password?! Is it stored on the hard drive unencrypted? How difficult would it be...
  5. Bitlocker on a non-TPM computer how secure is the password?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bitlocker on a non-TPM computer how secure is the password?: I went thru the steps to enable bitlocker without a TPM module. I set it up to enter a password before bootup. Every thing appears to be working okay, but my question is just how secure is the password?! Is it stored on the hard drive unencrypted? How difficult would it be...
  6. Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?

Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?: I have seen this question asked elsewhere several times, but with different answers...so I just want to make sure my understanding of BitLocker is correct. In the past, I had used BitLocker on several computers that did Not have a TPM...therefore I had to use a strong...
  7. BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM)

BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM): I've recently installed bitlocker on my computer. Although windows says my C: drive is encrypted; I am not asked for my decryption password when i boot the computer. I get put straight into the login screen. I've done the necessary steps to enable bitlocker without TPM but...
  8. Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these

Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these: Tech help requested Bitlocker, TPM, AMI Bios and TPM, SAmsung TabPro S (windows) computer tablet Tech requests to AMI bios and to samsung, for clarification of these items, has been USELESS. I have the tablet, with Bitlocker enabled. I do NOT have a PIN enabled for...
  9. BitLocker Setup- How Do I Disable the TPM and Use a Password Instead?

BitLocker Setup- How Do I Disable the TPM and Use a Password Instead?: I would like to enable BitLocker on my laptop, which has a TPM. However, I want to use a password instead of the TPM to decrypt the drive during pre-boot. I've tried disabling the TPM (using 'tpm.msc') and then enabling "Require additional authentication at startup"...
  10. Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor: Hi, If I enable Bitlocker with TPM (i.e. no passcode required on boot-up), and I have the Local Administrator account enabled on the machine (with my normal user account as a standard account), would it be possible for someone with a Hirens Boot CD blank/reset the Local...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker timeout

2. btlocker timeout

3. How to extend Bitlocker Recovery Screen Timeout

4. how to disable bitlocker timeout,
  5. extend bitlocker timeout