Windows 10: How do you restrict the websites that users can download from, like we did with the Site to...

Discus and support How do you restrict the websites that users can download from, like we did with the Site to... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Internet Explorer you can use Site Zones to restrict users from downloading from certain websites, and allowing them to download from websites that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kev Feathers, Oct 15, 2018.

1. How do you restrict the websites that users can download from, like we did with the Site to...

In Internet Explorer you can use Site Zones to restrict users from downloading from certain websites, and allowing them to download from websites that are trusted and part of the intranet. But Microsoft Edge does not follow these rules, it re-introduces the wild wild west of enterprise computing by allowing every user to download whatever they want from whatever website they want.

Can somebody please tell me how in Group Policy we reign back the control of what websites are authorised for downloading content from Microsoft Edge?

:)

Kev Feathers, Oct 15, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Unable to set restriction for local user in Windows 10

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How did you noticed that user is still able to access the drive?

• Did you log into the local user account and check the permission?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to restrict the user.

• In File Explorer, right click on the drive which you want to restrict.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit to change the permissions.
    • Uncheck all the permission for system.
    • Click OK and make sure the change is applied to all subfolders and files.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Oct 15, 2018
  3. How to restrict/block a website in a browser in Widnows 10.

Hello Genevieve,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

You can list the websites under Restricted sites list
    in Internet explorer website to block the access of a particular website on your PC.

Follow the steps below to list the website in Restricted site by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + R key on the keyboard to open the
      Run command box.

• Type inetcpl.cpl and press
      Enter

• From the window, click on the Security tab and select
      Restricted sites option from the Zone.

• Click on Sites located below the options and enter the website address in the
      Add this website to the zone.

• Click on Add button located adjacent to the box and check if the website will show under
      Websites: from the same page.

• Open the browser and check if you are not able to enter the website added to the
      Restricted sites.

Refer to the link below on Change security and privacy settings for Internet Explorer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-security-privacy-settings#ie=ie-11

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 15, 2018
  4. How do you restrict the websites that users can download from, like we did with the Site to...

Need some restriction of my standard user in my PC

The easiest way to restrict a standard user from accessing the files of another user account is by ensuring that the files are saved to the
    C:\Users\<AdministratorUsername> folder or the %userprofiles% folder. If a standard user attempts to access the files from the said folder, by default, it would instantly prompt for the administrator's credentials in order
    to access it.

If you wish to put restrictions on a specific file, you may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the specific file and choose Properties.
    • Choose Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit
      OK.
    • You can now manage the restrictions for the user profile, under Permissions for <username>.
    If you wanted to set a restriction on the Local Drive, follow these steps:

• Double-click This PC.
    • Right-click on Local Disk (CHow do you restrict the websites that users can download from, like we did with the Site to... :).
    • Choose Properties.
    • Select Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit OK.
    • Set the level of restriction for the said drive.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

How do you restrict the websites that users can download from, like we did with the Site to...

1. How do you restrict the websites that users can download from, like we did with the Site to... - Similar Threads - restrict websites users

2. How do I restrict a user from downloading apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restrict a user from downloading apps: I need to be able to prohibit my son from downloading apps on the computer. I would appreciate a solution, but before you answer, please consider: 1 I already have administrator status and he is a standard user. Some advice on this platform has said that this would solve the...
  3. How do I restrict a user from downloading apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restrict a user from downloading apps: I need to be able to prohibit my son from downloading apps on the computer. I would appreciate a solution, but before you answer, please consider: 1 I already have administrator status and he is a standard user. Some advice on this platform has said that this would solve the...
  4. How do I restrict a user from downloading apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. How can we restrict app which was downloaded from Internet and it can be renamed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can we restrict app which was downloaded from Internet and it can be renamed?: Hello guys. I am using Windows 11. I want to prevent VPNs portable software to run on Windows, so children cannot use it to watch any ****.Is there any way that we make a program to check its MD5 sum and automatically block it if User ever launches it?So, if User changed its...
  6. How can we restrict app which was downloaded from Internet and it can be renamed?

How can we restrict app which was downloaded from Internet and it can be renamed?: Hello guys. I am using Windows 11. I want to prevent VPNs portable software to run on Windows, so children cannot use it to watch any ****.Is there any way that we make a program to check its MD5 sum and automatically block it if User ever launches it?So, if User changed its...
  7. How to restrict the use of certain websites?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to restrict the use of certain websites?: Hello, Because of corona, my sibling (11) needs to work for school from home. I have taken her phone away when she needs to study, but a lot of her homework is done on the computer. She needs the internet to look up words, use Teams, etc... I cannot stay at her computer...
  8. website restrictions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    website restrictions: Hi, I want to block youtube on my child's account however it doesn't work in latest version of microsoft edge, but only in internet explorer. Why is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/website-restrictions/7222df59-4c2e-4102-bab7-a39003088706
  9. How can I ban / restrict myself from certain websites?

How can I ban / restrict myself from certain websites?: I have addiction to certain websites (NOT adult sites) that I want to block myself for a certain period of time . Is there any freeware or low price software to do so? Windows 10 environment It should work on all browsers otherwise it's not useful.... 132476
  10. How can you tell if a website is really what it claims to be? (Like how can I tell that...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can you tell if a website is really what it claims to be? (Like how can I tell that...: I've been noticing A LOT of fake websites with "free" offers and the like...How can you tell if a website is really what it claims to be? (Like how can I tell that Microsoft.com is really Microsoft?) If you use any specific programs, please recommend them. Thank you in...