Windows 10: How do you select which Windows 10 updates to be installed?

Discus and support How do you select which Windows 10 updates to be installed? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a problem with a video driver that wants to be installed, but when it's installed the system becomes unstable (it can hang or automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mvaugeri, Feb 2, 2016.

1. mvaugeri Win User

How do you select which Windows 10 updates to be installed?

I have a problem with a video driver that wants to be installed, but when it's installed the system becomes unstable (it can hang or automatically restart). This is a long standing problem on certain ASUS notebooks with certain NVIDIA display adapters. The driver is for the NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT display adapter on an ASUS M70Vn with a 64-bit architecture. I am currently using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, which provides a stable environment and works good enough for my purposes. How can I prevent the NVIDIA driver from being installed with the Windows updates? In earlier versions of Windows (for example, Windows 7), you could select which updates to install by putting a checkmark in front of the updates you wanted installed. Not so with Windows 10. All you get is a list of updates that are available and a click-box that says "Install now". I'm running Windows 10 version 1511 (OS Build 10586.0).

:)

mvaugeri, Feb 2, 2016

2. SMS from Windows 10 PChow do you select which phone windows 10 PC sends messages from

how do you select which mobile phone windows 10 PC sends messages from if you have 2 Windows 10 phones?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Christian Raith, Feb 2, 2016
  3. r0nrules Win User
    how to select which updates get installed on windows 10

taking away our control and choice...... shame shame , No more windows 10 upgrades for me. As the first person stated, it was starting to get comfortable with it. Back to seven ...2 steps forward 1 step back. Think of this from an "IT" point of view.
    If you have a huge business with many systems and you cant control the update process ????? shame shame.

r0nrules, Feb 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello mvaugeri, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid that there's not an option to select which updates to install by default in Windows 10.

If you like, you should be able to uninstall and hide the update though.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  5. mvaugeri Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply. The automatic install of Windows updates in Windows 10 is incredibly unfriendly. I'll let you know how things work out.

mvaugeri, Feb 2, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  7. mvaugeri Win User
    I tried using the Windows Update Show-Hide diagnostic tool (wushowhide.diagcab) to hide selected updates and it didn't work. When I ran the tool it showed me the updates available and allowed me to select which updates to hide. However, when I enabled updates to be installed, the update I had selected to be hidden was installed anyhow. There is a discussion of this problem on the Microsoft Community website under the topic "Feedback on Win10 show or hide updates tool, working or not using, wushowhide.diagcab" (see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...dd6a1f3?auth=1); the discussion started on 7/28/2015 and was last replied to on 1/19/2016.

The way I disabled updates was to make my Internet connection metered. The problem with that technique is that it blocks all updates, including important security updates. When I set the connection to "un-metered" all available updates will be installed, including the one I had blocked using wushowhide.diagcab. The update I tried to block is an NVIDIA display driver (NVIDIA GeForce 9605M GT on ASUS notebook), which makes my system unstable. This driver has been a widespread problem that has been around for a couple of years (at least back to 2009). On Windows 7 I simply never selected the update to be installed. Windows 10 doesn't give me that option. So far, I've been lucky that after the NVIDIA driver gets installed I've had enough time to uninstall the driver and meter the connection before the system hangs or reboots. And Windows 10 makes fixing the problem even riskier since it no longer provides a "safe mode" to start your system, which used to provide a way to fix such problems. How much more unfriendly can an operating system be than to force updates on you that will break your system. I'm disgusted.

mvaugeri, Feb 10, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 10, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    The updates you are selecting to NOT install (hide) may be prerequisites to ones you have chosen to install, and your choices are being overridden. Co-dependent updates may do the same thing. Notice how when doing updates WU will look for updates, download and install what it finds, and then look again? WU is checking to see if there any dependent or superseded updates.

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you select which Windows 10 updates to be installed? - Similar Threads - select updates installed

2. How to choose which updates to install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to choose which updates to install Windows 10: "Power", the first icon in the Start menu, has two options: "Update and shut down" and "Update and restart". I don't want either -- I'd like to avoid updates. How can I shut down without updating? Would you recommend yanking the power cord? Back in Windows 98 that was...
  3. How do you disable Windows 10 Update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you disable Windows 10 Update?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/thedarkgrimreaper1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/if1n6b/how_do_you_disable_windows_10_update/
  4. How do I select which partition to install Windows 10 on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I select which partition to install Windows 10 on?: Previously, I had a dual boot system on one SSD w/ MacOS (Partition A) and Windows 10 (Partition B) on my ThinkPad. Partition A (Mac) was assigned to the left of Partition B (Win10), meaning that, now that I've wiped Partition A (Mac), I cannot extend Partition B (which I...
  5. How do you block certain updates from installing in Windows 10?

How do you block certain updates from installing in Windows 10?: I want to start this post by saying this is NOT Microsoft's fault-it's Realtek's and MSI's problem. Today I installed a couple Windows updates. One was a driver update for Realtek audio. Unfortunately, this caused my laptop's built-in microphone to stop working. I know I'm...
  6. How do you stop whole line selection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you stop whole line selection: for the most part I'm only using Visual Studio 2015. I'm using a Window 10 machine remote desktop into a server. the compiler resides on the server. I double click on a variable like "Reader" trying to copy it's name. var Reader = xxx; but when I paste, instead of just...
  7. How do you download and install updates for a mp3.

How do you download and install updates for a mp3.: Ive been trying to do this for days and days, and hours and hours. Everything I find and try doesn't work. This is absolutely unacceptable......
  8. How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ?: How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-manually-select-and-install-updates-in/ed29032b-9d13-4224-8f2c-2e6bfea5b612
  9. how do i manually install updates or select updates to install in windows 10?

how do i manually install updates or select updates to install in windows 10?: how do i manually install updates or select updates to install in windows 10? I have a list of updates but they never install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-manually-install-updates-or-select/d9b02987-1b39-41f6-9b16-c75ee5328709
  10. How do you shutdown windows 10 without installing updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do you shutdown windows 10 without installing updates?: Is there a way to shutdown windows 10 without installing updates? I know previous versions of Windows had command line or registry tricks that helped with this. Note the version of Windows 10 I am using is the normal version you get with the free upgrade. 34355