Windows 10: How do you set the default camera device?

Discus and support How do you set the default camera device? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am losing my fucking mind over this. Every result I've found on the internet is outdated, all of them say the same thing when that method doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/A_Random_Lantern, Mar 8, 2021.

1. How do you set the default camera device?

I am losing my fucking mind over this.

Every result I've found on the internet is outdated, all of them say the same thing when that method doesn't exist anymore.

My applications keep defaulting to my Valve Index, which is a VR headset that has a pair of cameras at the front of it. I can't disable this camera as I use it regularly with the headset.

Any new thread I find asking about this is a dead end with no answers.

On my old windows install, applications would default to my webcam instead of my VR headset, but that doesn't happen anymore.

submitted by /u/A_Random_Lantern
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/A_Random_Lantern, Mar 8, 2021
  2. Allan Mej Win User

How to set one of the two cameras in Windows 10 to be "default"

Hi Roman,

If there are two devices that are detected as a camera, simply disabling one of them will automatically set the other one as the default. To do so, follow these steps:

• Search and open Device Manager.
    • Find your camera on the list of devices.
    • Right-click the device that you want to disable and select Disable device.

When you'll need the Leap Motion Controller, simply enable it on the Device manager.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Set USB camera as the Default video device in Skype

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To change the camera in Skype application from built in to USB follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open Skype application by searching it on the search bar on taskbar.
    2. Now click ellipses next to your name on the top left corner.
    3. Now click on Settings and select
      Audio and Video settings.
    4. Under Camera select the
      USB camera from the drop down list.

If you are using Skype for Business then you can refer the article

Set Video Device options in Skype for Business

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 8, 2021
  4. kormath Win User

How do you set the default camera device?

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done How do you set the default camera device? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

How do you set the default camera device?

1. How do you set the default camera device? - Similar Threads - set default camera

2. How do you set up a task scheduler action to change default audio device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you set up a task scheduler action to change default audio device?: I'm trying to set up a two events in task scheduler.1. Change default audio input and output to my Virtual Oculus device whenever Oculus Program/Process is started. I can set the trigger by following this guide, but I can't figure out how to set the action to change my...
  3. How do you set up a task scheduler action to change default audio device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you set up a task scheduler action to change default audio device?: I'm trying to set up a two events in task scheduler.1. Change default audio input and output to my Virtual Oculus device whenever Oculus Program/Process is started. I can set the trigger by following this guide, but I can't figure out how to set the action to change my...
  4. How do you set the default volume for new programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you set the default volume for new programs?: I keep my general volume pretty high because I have some apps that are pretty quiet normally, and when I download new apps they are all very loud. How can I make it so all new apps have a default starting volume? i.e. they all start at volume 20 even if my general volume is...
  5. How do you set the default volume for new programs?

How do you set the default volume for new programs?: I keep my general volume pretty high because I have some apps that are pretty quiet normally, and when I download new apps they are all very loud. How can I make it so all new apps have a default starting volume? i.e. they all start at volume 20 even if my general volume is...
  6. How do you set the default volume for new programs?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. how do i make an external camera the default camera

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do i make an external camera the default camera: It was installed and working then it mysteriously disappeared and left me with only the built in camera. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-an-external-camera-the-default/de0b2098-005e-49f3-a0b1-d263ae79d039
  8. How do you set thr default setting for the Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you set thr default setting for the Preview Pane: The Preview Pane window seems to letter size. If a view a larger document, I can only see the top left corner. When I try to zoom out, the window gets larger, but the document doesn't change. Used to be able to see the whole document....
  9. How to set USB camera as default?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set USB camera as default?: Help me to disable my build-in camera and set USB camera as default on Skype? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-usb-camera-as-default/620ac9d5-6253-4099-92c1-99c1e874396d
  10. Set USB camera as the Default video device in Skype

Set USB camera as the Default video device in Skype: how to disable my build in cam and use my usb cam on skype? ***Original title: How to disable my build in cam and use my usb cam on skype?***...