Windows 10: How do you set the various parameters of the sleep command?

Discus and support How do you set the various parameters of the sleep command? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I have say 10 programs up and am in the middle of things on each and I hit sleep then: 1.) The computer indeed goes to sleep i.e. the CPU Fan... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roe5685, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Roe5685 Win User

How do you set the various parameters of the sleep command?

If I have say 10 programs up and am in the middle of things on each and I hit sleep then:

1.) The computer indeed goes to sleep i.e. the CPU Fan goes off.
    2.) When I come back several hours later I always find that the CPU fan is on.
    3.) When did the CPU Fan come back on? How do I set this time? This is the big question!
    3.) I then use my mouse and the screen shows me the position on all 10 programs exactly as I left it.

Now the CPU fan coming back on after xxx minutes which I want to control means it rebooted some time after it went to sleep. On this machine there is a raid controller so the reboot process took about 5 minutes.

Other facts: If I hit sleep so the machine appears to turn off and the CPU fan stops and then put off the switch on the PSU then of course when I come back into the room in 8 hours or whatever I must turn the switch back on. I then hit the power button and wait 5 minutes while the raid controller and the CPU boot up and then I am back onto the 10 programs exactly where I left them.

So in the sleep command I want to set the time when it reboots to say 7 hours if I am going home to dinner and rest.
    If I am going to be away for an hour I want to set this time to say 1 hour.
    That way I can save having to hit sleep and then turn off the PSU switch to keep my CPU fan off all the time I am away.

To put it another way if I just hit sleep and leave for all I know it reboots after 5 minutes so electric saving is low!!

:)

Roe5685, Jan 18, 2016

2. How do you set the time of the scan in Defender?

Hi Bruce,

Although Windows Defender Antivirus scans your computer regularly, you still have an option to set the time as to when and how often the scan will occur. For the detailed steps, please see
    Schedule your own scan in the link
    Help protect my device with Windows Defender Security Center

Should you need further help, feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 18, 2016
  3. How do you set the time of the scan in Defender?

How do you set the time of the scan in Defender?

Bruce MacDonald711, Jan 18, 2016
  4. Roe5685 Win User

I found and tried two other commands:

shutdown /h after using this the computer immediately shut down i.e. computer fan went off.
    when I came back a few hours later I found that the computer had rebooted ( cpu fan now on ) BUT WHEN? but that it appeared otherwise to be asleep. moving the mouse brought up the 10 programs to where they were.

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 This complex command turned off the computer and the cpu fan just like the shutdown /h command. Five minutes later ( I needed the computer and did not have time to watch and see when it turned itself back on without human intervention ) I moved a mouse and it rebooted from scratch. It then went into exactly the same state it had been in i.e. the 10 programs exactly how I left them.
    This complex command could be put into a batch file of course.

Roe5685, Jan 18, 2016
Thema:

1. How do you set the various parameters of the sleep command? - Similar Threads - set various parameters

2. How do you test the Windows RE partition, set with the reagentc /setreimage /path command?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you test the Windows RE partition, set with the reagentc /setreimage /path command?: I just copied all data from a prior 1TB HDD to a new 512GB SSD. Since the Windows RE partition was at the "end" of the 1 TB drive, I copied that partition separately, and reduced the size of C: from 800+GB to 300+ GB to fit the new drive.When I was done, I installed the 512GB...
  3. How do you "wake from sleep" remotely ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you "wake from sleep" remotely ?: I would like to wake a system from sleep remotely. System wakes fine with keyboard or mouse, but I want to do it from my laptop as needed. What is the best way to do that ? I have WOL enabled on my LAN adapter, and I tried wake-on-lan, but it seems to not work from...
  4. How do you "wake from sleep" remotely ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you "wake from sleep" remotely ?: I would like to wake a system from sleep remotely. System wakes fine with keyboard or mouse, but I want to do it from my laptop as needed. What is the best way to do that ? I have WOL enabled on my LAN adapter, and I tried wake-on-lan, but it seems to not work from...
  5. How do you "wake from sleep" remotely ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Do you have to set Sleep in order to Hibernate?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do you have to set Sleep in order to Hibernate?: I tried setting Sleep to never, then set Hibernate to on. It didn't hibernate as scheduled PC/desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-you-have-to-set-sleep-in-order-to-hibernate/1421dbba-de03-4af5-a731-fde51c5f0e90
  7. Do you have to set Sleep in order to Hibernate?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do you have to set Sleep in order to Hibernate?: I tried setting Sleep to never, then set Hibernate to on. It didn't hibernate as scheduled PC/desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-you-have-to-set-sleep-in-order-to-hibernate/1421dbba-de03-4af5-a731-fde51c5f0e90
  8. How do you print via command line?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do you print via command line?: I can't figure out how to properly use the print command.Here's my printer information: [ATTACH] How should I modify the example from the Microsoft Docs page, "print /d:\\copyroom\printer1 c:\accounting\report.txt" to print a file? This doesn't work, "print...
  9. Know about parameters of Netsh int ip set global command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Know about parameters of Netsh int ip set global command: What is loopbackexecutionmode and reassemblyoutoforderlimit in the netsh int ip set global ? What difference between inline and adaptive loopbackexecutionmode? What were the default values in previous versions of Windows? ***Modified title from: new ip settings...
  10. How Do You Fix Settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Do You Fix Settings?: So I watched this video on YouTube and I wanted to switch my computer name on my hp and after I changed my name all of a sudden I couldn't search in the Cortana box or even ask Cortana questions I can't even press on the windows button please, someone help. Here's the link...