Windows 10: How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App

Discus and support How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I thought I'd install Windows 10 Threshold 2 (not to make the same mistake twice, on a laptop I hardly use this time) to see if the built-in Microsoft... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ARC1020, Nov 19, 2015.

1. ARC1020 Win User

How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App

I thought I'd install Windows 10 Threshold 2 (not to make the same mistake twice, on a laptop I hardly use this time) to see if the built-in Microsoft apps are now any better than they were in July. Disappointingly, with the exception of being able to turn off 'Conversation View', the Mail app is just as diabolically poor as it was back then. But on top of that, another thing I noticed this time is that when you type a name into the 'To:' field, it doesn't even look up that name / email address from your 'People' app contacts. The auto-complete feature only populates for people you've previously emailed.

So basically, if you haven't emailed someone, it won't show their name despite their details and email address being listed in the 'People' app.

Of course, another problem with not populating the auto-complete addresses from your address book is that if a contact changes their email address and you update their details in the 'People' app, the Mail app will still use the old email address in the autocomplete dropdown, causing you to keep emailing the wrong address.

Did Microsoft seriously release a Mail app that can't even look up names in your contacts list?

:)

ARC1020, Nov 19, 2015
  2. Govarthan Win User

Windows 10 Mail not showing contacts in 'TO' field

Sir / Madam,

In Windows 10 Mail app, email addresses in my contacts are not showing in the 'TO' field. How to fix it?

Govarthan, Nov 19, 2015
  3. owend_998 Win User
    Contacts in People app not showing up in Windows 10 Mail app

I am putting in contacts into the People App which is synced to my outlook.com account. However they do not appear in the windows 10 mail app. For example when I start typing in the "To:" field, it shows no matches.

I have confirmed that the contacts are syncing fine with outlook. For example, when I go to outlook.com it all works fine..the contacts that I entered on my PC have synced and when I start typing in the "TO:" field on outlook.com they appear straight away.

It is just windows 10 mail that isn't working.

We have just upgraded from windows 7.

owend_998, Nov 19, 2015
  4. How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App

Sounds like you have come across one of the Email app bugs that only affects certain people

I have just tried on mine and it picks up details from the people app fine

paulsalter, Nov 19, 2015
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    I just added a new contact, a Mr 'Xten Forums', and doesn't work for me. Here's what I see, nothing in the drop-down list for this contact:

How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App [​IMG]

ARC1020, Nov 19, 2015
  6. It does seem to have a fair share of issues this app, I have problems with it but not this
    Have you tried the powershell to uninstall and then reinstall, probably make no difference but it cant hurt things

snippet out of people app

creating an email

paulsalter, Nov 19, 2015
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    Maybe it doesn't work because I have Cortana switched off. I'll have to try uninstalling and re-installing the app later.

ARC1020, Nov 19, 2015
  8. How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App

have a look in Setting, Privacy, Contacts

Make sure Email is allowed access to the contact data

paulsalter, Nov 19, 2015
  9. ARC1020 Win User
    Yeah, I went through them and they are all set to allowed. That was my first thought too.

ARC1020, Nov 19, 2015
  10. ARC1020 Win User
    Thanks for your help Paul. After seeing that it was working correctly for you in your screenshots, it spurred me to play about with mine some more and the issue has resolved itself now.

I'm not sure what the cause was exactly, the only thing I can think of is that it needed more time to fully populate. Whenever I opened the Mail app, I noticed the CPU increased and 'Unistack Service Group' was doing something in the background. One of the items listed under that service was 'Contact Data', so maybe that was part of it. It's been running at about 20% CPU for a while now, so I'm not sure what it's crunching exactly, maybe some sort of indexing at a guess. Cheers.

ARC1020, Nov 19, 2015
  11. Good to hear you have got it sorted out

It's possible it might still have been indexing (think it pauses this if using the machine)

One of those mysteries that we will probably never get to the bottom of

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App

1. How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App - Similar Threads - Show Contacts 'To'

2. Windows 10 mail showing contact email NOT in my contacts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 mail showing contact email NOT in my contacts: When I try to send an email to a contacts, an address comes up that is NOT in my contacts. How do I deal with this? This is the correct email that is in the contacts. When I start an email I get three emails for this contact. There are two bad emails including the one that is...
  3. Windows 10 mail showing contact email NOT in my contacts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 mail showing contact email NOT in my contacts: When I try to send an email to a contacts, an address comes up that is NOT in my contacts. How do I deal with this? This is the correct email that is in the contacts. When I start an email I get three emails for this contact. There are two bad emails including the one that is...
  4. how to export contacts in windows 10 mail app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to export contacts in windows 10 mail app: for some reason, the outlook 365 does not show all of my contacts but with Microsoft support agent, I was able to find my contacts in the Windows 10 mail app I have hotmail account. Now how do I export my contacts in windows 10 mail app so I can use in gmail?...
  5. how to export contacts in windows 10 mail app

how to export contacts in windows 10 mail app: for some reason, the outlook 365 does not show all of my contacts but with Microsoft support agent, I was able to find my contacts in the Windows 10 mail app I have hotmail account. Now how do I export my contacts in windows 10 mail app so I can use in gmail?...
  6. Mail app contacts

Mail app contacts: Ok here goes. windows 10. I add a contact. When sending an e-mail to that person it comes back undeliverable. Then I realize I spelled it incorrectly. I go to that contact, click edit & correct & save the info. Now, when I forward an e-mail I click in the To: window, start...
  7. How do you attach a photo to a contact us mail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do you attach a photo to a contact us mail: How do you attach a photo to a contact us mail Threw a website Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail/f405f332-88b3-4ca1-b3e8-96a772bba174
  8. Windows Mail App contacts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Mail App contacts: Dear Team, I am using windows mail app and when i given any reply to new contact it is automatically saving in contacts list. Means if i try to compose mail to the same contact it is showing that contact in list but in Peoples app that contact is not there. Please help me...
  9. How do you import contacts into Windows 10 Mail from Thunderbird?

in Browsers and Email
    How do you import contacts into Windows 10 Mail from Thunderbird?: I have contacts in my Thunderbird email client on my old laptop and when I bought a new laptop I've decided to try using the Windows 10 Mail app. instead of installing Thunderbird. However, I can't figure out how import my contacts from Thunderbird. Naturally if this is...
  10. How Do You Show Newsletters in Newsletters Folder (Windows 10 Mail App

in Browsers and Email
    How Do You Show Newsletters in Newsletters Folder (Windows 10 Mail App: In the Windows 8 Mail app, you could turn on 'Show Newsletters Separately' and all mailing list emails would be automatically sent to the Newsletters folder, keeping the Inbox Free. How do you turn this on in the Windows 10 Mail App, as the option is missing? [img] 9392