Windows 10: How do you stop Outlook from doing a Send /Rcv on exit?

Discus and support How do you stop Outlook from doing a Send /Rcv on exit? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; How do you stop Outlook 2019 from sending/receiving emails when you close Outlook? Mine takes a lot of time to do a send/receive and it unacceptably... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by bobhurd, Apr 22, 2021.

1. bobhurd Win User

How do you stop Outlook from doing a Send /Rcv on exit?

How do you stop Outlook 2019 from sending/receiving emails when you close Outlook? Mine takes a lot of time to do a send/receive and it unacceptably keeps Outlook from closing quickly when I am done with it.

:)

bobhurd, Apr 22, 2021
  2. CMOORE100 Win User

How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat

WIN 10 (64 bit) with OUTLOOK 2016 send E-Mails which some recipients are unable to open or read.

The problem most commonly encountered, to judge from many internet pleas for help, is that normal e-mail messages are sent and received satisfactorily but attachments – whatever their file extensions – are sometimes apparently not sent or not openable. There are also reports that some e-mail main texts are apparently not sent or not openable. This note is based specifically on WIN 10(64) plus OUTLOOK 2016, but my extensive reading for a solution has revealed that other WIN / OUTLOOK issue combinations also give rise to the same or similar problem. It may therefore well be possible that the following actions will also be of assistance with these.
    The root problem is that OUTLOOK sometimes encodes messages and/or attachments as WINMAIL.dat files and sends these. Many non-MS mail programs can not recognise and/or open these. WINMAIL.dat is a format used in times past for sending Rich Text Format (RTF) messages. I am uncertain why MS persists with this heritage I have found in limited testing that some ISPs seem to receive OUTLOOK attachments OK (because these are sent as their original files with “normal” extensions) whereas another ISP appears to prompt their conversion to WINMAIL.dat and then can not open them. I have, by the way, eliminated any possibility that the problem stems from my receiving computer. My accounts are of the “web based” type and I can open my E-mail boxes by web access direct to the ISP.
    My testing (not comprehensive) has shown that when OUTLOOK is used to send attachments to a Gmail.com account they are received OK but when the exact same attachments are sent to a BTInternet.com they are received as WINMAIL.dat encoded files. It is thus doubly unsatisfactory in that one can not rely on the receipt of attachments sometimes, but not always.
    Here are the 3 steps I took :- 1.. Modify the registry to inhibit generation of Winmail.dat files. To do this a.. Open program REGEDIT (Windows key plus R) b.. Go to Computer/ HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/16.0/Outlook/Preferences c.. Create a new DWORD(32bit) called Disable TNEF
    d.. Enter a value of 1 ie.0x00000001 (1) e.. Exit Regedit 2.. Set up OUTLOOK so as NOT to send messages in RTF format. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens.
    c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES f.. Find CHANGE EDITING SETTINGS g.. Select PLAIN TEXT format option in box. (HTML option may also be OK but RICH TEXT FORMAT – RTF – must NOT be selected). h.. Close the MAIL options page(s).
    3.. Set up OUTLOOK not to auto-complete addressees and empty the auto complete cache. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens. c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES
    f.. Select SEND MESSAGES section. g. UNCHECK box labelled “Use auto complete list to suggest names when typing To/cc/bcc lines”. h.. Find and SLCk the “Empty auto complete list” i.. SLCk YES in response to “ARE YOU SURE” pop-up box j.. There is no apparent response to step i. k.. Close OUTLOOK mail option page(s). l.. For good measure re-start the PC.

Notes : i.. At step 3e with OUTLOOK 2013 scroll to SENDING MESSAGES section. ii.. In OUTLOOK 2003 and 2007 for procedure section 2 : iia.. Access OPTIONS from the tools menu iib.. Click MAIL FORMAT tab iic.. Click INTERNET FORMAT iid. Under Outlook Rich Text Options click either Convert to HTML format or Convert to Plain Text format. Get rid of any reference to RTF.
    iii. This note is written based on Win 10(64bit) plus Outlook 2016. Other OS/Outlook versions may vary in function and detail.
    iv.. Some versions of OUTLOOK provide for the message sending format to be varied between addressees in the address book. To check for this each address book entry needs to be examined from its PROPERTIES values. These should be opened and set to HTML or PLAIN TEXT and never RTF (or TNEF). v.. With my problem the solution was achieved after step 3. It appears that the auto-complete cache “remembers” previous settings and hence it needs to be deleted.
    vi.. Step 3 was the vital action and was kindly contributed by Caledon Ken at TEN FORUMS I will mark the thread as resolved after further evaluation, but am highly optimistic. .

CMOORE100, Apr 22, 2021
  3. Group Email In Outlook 2016? Need Help!

The screen shot looks like that's where she would CREATE a new group. What is on the "Send/Receive" tab?

Check this site out...

How to Create Custom Groups in Outlook 2016 | Laptop Mag

After step 7, it tells you how to send to a group.

nolafotoknut, Apr 22, 2021
  4. How do you stop Outlook from doing a Send /Rcv on exit?

Cannot send mail from Outlook 2007 after upgrade

It's easily possible. And Programs and Features lists Office 2000 from which Installed only Access.
    Anyway, the REAL problem is what caused Outlook 2007 to stop sending mails.

Roman Krejci, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

How do you stop Outlook from doing a Send /Rcv on exit?

1. How do you stop Outlook from doing a Send /Rcv on exit? - Similar Threads - stop Outlook doing

2. How do you send multiple pictures in an email?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you send multiple pictures in an email?: How do you send multiple pictures in an email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-send-multiple-pictures-in-an-email/18b74bab-4e96-47c5-b68f-933dfd4c606c
  3. How do you send multiple pictures in an email?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you send multiple pictures in an email?: How do you send multiple pictures in an email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-send-multiple-pictures-in-an-email/18b74bab-4e96-47c5-b68f-933dfd4c606c
  4. How do you stop windows from downloading drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you stop windows from downloading drivers: I already installed a newer driver version directly from Intel but windows downloaded an older version by itself, how do you stop windows from doing this?...
  5. How do you stop windows from downloading drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you stop windows from downloading drivers: I already installed a newer driver version directly from Intel but windows downloaded an older version by itself, how do you stop windows from doing this?...
  6. How do you stop windows from downloading drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How do you stop screen from moving upwards

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you stop screen from moving upwards: I keep a file for the lock screen images I like. When reviewing or renaming an image, the whole screen moves upwards to the start of the image file??? How can I stop this??...
  8. how do you stop this from happening with each startup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do you stop this from happening with each startup?: 123456 [ATTACH]12 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-stop-this-from-happening-with-each/81f8824a-b809-4c64-a14c-973c1ff2b9f7"
  9. How do you stop a loop?

in Cortana
    How do you stop a loop?: On my Lenovo tablet, Cortana keeps asking me to say various things over and over. I cannot shut off the tablet. I have been waiting for my battery to run out and then maybe Cortana will get lost. I have the circle on the upper left corner and then what I am supposed to...
  10. How do you exit out of the windows mail app

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you exit out of the windows mail app: I have it set up for my work email address and I don't want to get work email pop-ups when I'm not at work!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-you-exit-out-of-the-windows-mail-app/015db124-1f6f-4184-989c-55ce5a13bbb9