Windows 10: How do you stop windows from opening a new instance of a program?

Discus and support How do you stop windows from opening a new instance of a program? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This has to be a Windows setting somewhere. So, I have a graphics program that I’m running (runs on several computers all with same hardware software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Accetta919, Feb 4, 2021.

1. How do you stop windows from opening a new instance of a program?

This has to be a Windows setting somewhere. So, I have a graphics program that I’m running (runs on several computers all with same hardware software versions), and when I click on a file to open in said graphics program, it wants to open a new instance of the program instead of just opening inside the program that’s already open. Now I’d be inclined to think it’s a program setting, but there is no setting for it, AND not all of the computers have this problem! There are two machines that work how I want them to, I just can’t find anything that’s different between that machine and the ones that don’t work as I’d like.

I’ve checked file explorer options, there’s only one option to open this file type which is the software we are running. It's not a registry thing for the file type. I compared both the machine that works and the one that doesn't. They're both the same. There’s gotta be a setting somewhere that I’m missing to do this. Any ideas?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

submitted by /u/Accetta919
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Accetta919, Feb 4, 2021

2. can't open new instances of an application from taskbar

I have any program open. I right click the shortcut for it in the taskbar and a list of option comes out. But then when i try to open another instance of the program from that list by clicking on the option with the icon and program name, nothing happens.
    How do I make it so that it opens another instance instead of doing nothing?

sasuke10125, Feb 4, 2021
  3. SteveMann Win User
    Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?

I frequently open multiple instances of the Arduino IDE program. The first opens to the same size as the window was when I closed it. Subsequent opens of new instances of the program (it's not unusual for me to have three or four instances running at the same time) open in a much smaller window. Is this normal?

(Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362)

SteveMann, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

How do you stop windows from opening a new instance of a program?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

How do you stop windows from opening a new instance of a program?

1. How do you stop windows from opening a new instance of a program? - Similar Threads - stop opening instance

2. how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?: hey im trying to play FH5 a game published by Microsoft and noticed why i was stuck on the loading screen because windows keeps pausing a critical program that syncs the data. any help would be appreciated....
  3. how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?: hey im trying to play FH5 a game published by Microsoft and noticed why i was stuck on the loading screen because windows keeps pausing a critical program that syncs the data. any help would be appreciated....
  4. How do you stop Roblox from opening Internet Explorer on Windows 11?

How do you stop Roblox from opening Internet Explorer on Windows 11?: Whenever I try to open a link on the Roblox app it opens up Internet Explorer instead of Microsoft Edge. I've tried changing my settings and making my default browsing app Microsoft Edge as well as editing file application openers. I can't access Internet Explorer by itself...
  5. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  6. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  7. How Do You Stop Programs From Running Elevated Automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Do You Stop Programs From Running Elevated Automatically: [ATTACH] As you can see from the screenshot, almost all of my tasks in the 'Details' section of Task Manager are running as 'Elevated' which means 'Running as Admin' as far as I know. More outside of this screenshot running Admin by themselves too. Normally this doesn't...
  8. File Explorer Windows 10 - How do you stop it from opening at startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Windows 10 - How do you stop it from opening at startup: All of the internet tells everybody to go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows which is wrong they need to go to Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-896562294-4234900943-864648446-1001\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows...
  9. How do you stop Windows from closing a 'not responding program'?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you stop Windows from closing a 'not responding program'?: Windows keeps closing Minecraft whenever it stop responding for a bit. Minecraft was just rendering some of the terrain with a little lag spike. This is absolutely getting infuriating, as I have to wait for 15-20 minutes just to load Minecraft, because off my HDD submitted...
  10. How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This"

in Browsers and Email
    How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This": I have Win10Pro (upgraded in place from Win8.1Pro) and every time I click on a link in an email, I get the "How Do You Want To Open This" dialog box. I always click on Internet Explorer and I always check the box "Always use this app" but I still get this dialog popping up...