Windows 10: How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard that only clicks

Discus and support How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard that only clicks in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard? There are many open applications and rebooting was not yet performed. All keys make clicking noises but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zbook, Feb 26, 2019.

1. zbook Win User

How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard that only clicks

How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard?

There are many open applications and rebooting was not yet performed.

All keys make clicking noises but none display characters.

The function key with F9 will increase and F10 decrease the display brightness.

The mouse works without problems.

There are other notebooks available but no external keyboard.

What trobleshooting steps are available that would not require a reboot?

The HP hardware diagnostics was launched and none of the keys register, not even the function and F9 and F10 keys. So the HP hardware diagnostics is not able to detect some of the working function keys. Another troubleshooting option is needed.

:)

zbook, Feb 26, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard?

There are many open applications and rebooting was not yet performed.

All keys make clicking noises but none display characters.

The function key with F9 will increase and F10 decrease the display brightness.

The mouse works without problems.

There are other notebooks available but no external keyboard.

What trobleshooting steps are available that would not require a reboot?

The HP hardware diagnostics was launched and none of the keys register, not even the function and F9 and F10 keys. So the HP hardware diagnostics is not able to detect some of the working function keys. Another troubleshooting option is needed.

zbook, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Bree Win User

You could use the mouse to switch to Tablet Mode in the Action Center, then you will have an on-screen keyboard available in the taskbar notification area. That should make investigation easier, or at least give you the ability to shut down and save files for those open applications.

I suspect a Restart is all that's required to fix this, perhaps with the addition of removing the battery after shutting down to clear any corrupt data in hardware registers. I have in the past lost the mouse on a laptop and that procedure invariably fixed it.

Bree, Oct 6, 2019
  4. How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard that only clicks

keyboard not working after upgrading notebook to Windows 10

Hi Anil,

Before we assist you, we would like to know the below information.

• Have you installed all the pending updates for Windows 10?

• Which is the Windows 10 build running on the Notebook?

Please some of the below troubleshooting steps and check if you are able to fix the keyboard issue:

Method 1: I suggest you to
    install ATK drivers
    , also install Windows 8.1 chipset drivers from the same link and check.

X102BA Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS Global

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type "Troubleshooting"
      in the Search box from the desktop and click "Troubleshooting".

• Click on "View all" from the left pane and select "Hardware and Devices".

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Method 3: Uninstall keyboard driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Keyboard.

• Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Uninstall.

After uninstalling the keyboard Drivers, suggest you to manually install the Keyboard Drivers.

• Right-click the
      Start button and choose Device Manager.

• Once in Device Manager locate all devices with a yellow exception mark in front of them. In case of not working keyboards they are most-likely located under Human Interface Devices (HID) and keyboards.

• Under keyboards right-click a keyboard with a yellow exception mark.

• Then choose Update Driver Software.

• Then choose Browse my computer for driver software.

• Then choose Let me Pick from a List of Device Drivers.

• Then choose HID Keyboard Device.

• Click on Next and wait for the installation to complete, there should be no error code!

• Unfold the Human Interface Devices category.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

1. How do you troubleshoot a notebook keyboard that only clicks - Similar Threads - troubleshoot notebook keyboard

2. If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...: Because the monitor on the notebook is broken the idea is to use other monitor. Using the HDMI to connect the monitor worked before, but it doesn't work with graphic tablet "XP-PEN". I want to use keyboard to navigate through the Windows10 settings to change the monitor....
  3. If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...: Because the monitor on the notebook is broken the idea is to use other monitor. Using the HDMI to connect the monitor worked before, but it doesn't work with graphic tablet "XP-PEN". I want to use keyboard to navigate through the Windows10 settings to change the monitor....
  4. If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...

6. If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. If the monitor on notebook is broken, how can it be changed using only keyboard and the...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?: My keyboard started typing '*' and 'backspace', I've installed Power Toys and disabled those keys, however, it's a very unique experience living without backspace and pressing left arrow and delete every time. Could you please tell me how can I turn off my laptop's keyboard...
  9. How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?: My keyboard started typing '*' and 'backspace', I've installed Power Toys and disabled those keys, however, it's a very unique experience living without backspace and pressing left arrow and delete every time. Could you please tell me how can I turn off my laptop's keyboard...
  10. How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?