Windows 10: How do you use the aero basic theme (ie no DWM) with DWM on?

Discus and support How do you use the aero basic theme (ie no DWM) with DWM on? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello I recently found out on the winclassic forum that it was possible to get the windows classic theme on windows 10 by closing some theme handler in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by isaacthethemer, Jul 10, 2020.

1. How do you use the aero basic theme (ie no DWM) with DWM on?

Hello
    I recently found out on the winclassic forum that it was possible to get the windows classic theme on windows 10 by closing some theme handler in the memory on winlogon. I also know that it is possible to get the aero basic theme with the blue title bars and windows 7 look on windows 10 by suspending winlogon and killing dwm, but it is a bit buggy and causes half of my screen to glitch out for some reason. I am wondering if there is a way to kill some dwm injection handler in the memory like the classic theme so dwm keeps everything up and smooth but the windows have the aero basic look? Is that even possible to kill some kind of dwm injection? Any help will be nice as I wish that M$ would include that natively.
    Thanks in advance.
    I am using windows 10 1903, but it will update son and I don't think that matters here.

:)

isaacthethemer, Jul 10, 2020

2. How do you use the aero basic theme (ie no DWM) with DWM on?

Hello
    I recently found out on the winclassic forum that it was possible to get the windows classic theme on windows 10 by closing some theme handler in the memory on winlogon. I also know that it is possible to get the aero basic theme with the blue title bars and windows 7 look on windows 10 by suspending winlogon and killing dwm, but it is a bit buggy and causes half of my screen to glitch out for some reason. I am wondering if there is a way to kill some dwm injection handler in the memory like the classic theme so dwm keeps everything up and smooth but the windows have the aero basic look? Is that even possible to kill some kind of dwm injection? Any help will be nice as I wish that M$ would include that natively.
    Thanks in advance.
    I am using windows 10 1903, but it will update son and I don't think that matters here.

isaacthethemer, Jul 10, 2020
  3. ricardobohner, Jul 10, 2020
  4. How do you use the aero basic theme (ie no DWM) with DWM on?

Get better Game Performance under Vista by disabling DWM on a per-application basis!

I just came across this tip/tweak, which probably many who are familiar with Vista already know... It's about disabling the aero effect on a per-application basis, so that you get vista basic interface during gameplay (when you're not going to see it) and it switches back to aero when you exit the game.

DWM, or the Desktop Window Manager, turns the graphics card into a shared resource which allows for the Aeroglass effects and the tear-free desktop. When running normal applications, this is a good thing because it offloads the graphics work (the bulk of which was handled by the CPU in Windows XP) to the GPU, which, when running normal applications is sitting in your computer doing nothing. With Aeroglass/DWM on, the CPU is freed up for other duties as all of the desktop graphics are now handled by the GPU.

In DirectX 9 and OpenGL games however, having Aeroglass/DWM on can decrease performance. This is for a number of reasons :
    1.DWM makes the video card a shared resource. When DWM is on, programs are not allowed direct access to the video card.
    2.DWM uses both System RAM and VRAM because it maintains an offscreen buffer for every window.

Fortunately, Microsoft has provided a way to disable DWM on a per-application basis so you can still enjoy Aeroglass when not running games. To disable DWM on a per-application basis, right click on the application/game's icon and select properties. Navigate to the compatibility tab, then find and check Disable Desktop Compositing. Now, whenever you launch that program, Windows Vista will temporarily switch back to the Windows XP style graphics subsystem.

DirectX 10 games shouldn't be affected as much (if at all) by having DWM on because the DirectX 10 API is designed around having the GPU as a shared resource and is better able to handle GPU multitasking.

With a few simple steps, on most setups, you can easily make your games run as fast or faster than in Windows XP under Windows Vista.

This will work on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

Black Panther, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

How do you use the aero basic theme (ie no DWM) with DWM on?

1. How do you use the aero basic theme (ie no DWM) with DWM on? - Similar Threads - aero basic theme

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. DWM and Udwm

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DWM and Udwm: Before anything my pc specs, :"Ryzen 5 3500x8 gigs of 3200mhz ramgtx 1650 "So, I was just trying to play phasmophobia and it kept crashing at loading 7%, so i checked what was wrong. My screen would go black for a few secs and my discord would also fully freeze. And for...
  4. DWM results

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DWM results: Hi. I was spending 3:38.67 when I am browsing in Chrome. DWM.EXE has not eaten greater than 300 MB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-results/c5ef09b5-4541-42bf-ac70-1f3954ada53a
  5. DWM results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM results: Hi. I was spending 3:38.67 when I am browsing in Chrome. DWM.EXE has not eaten greater than 300 MB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-results/c5ef09b5-4541-42bf-ac70-1f3954ada53a
  6. DWM results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. DWM problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DWM problem: When dragging windows around the desktop DWM goes from using around 0.2% CPU to 15-20% CPU when multiple windows are open. There’s extreme lag while dragging windows around when this happens. submitted by /u/Death_Ma5ter [link] [comments]...
  8. How do I stop DWM from using GPU?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop DWM from using GPU?: Oh man, this thing has going me insane. While playing media the GPU usage of DWM just spikes up leaving me to watch the video with lag and stutter. I've tried fixes like lowering the priority or turning of windows transparency. There's no answer at Microsoft forum too...
  9. Dwm crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...
  10. windows dwm

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows dwm: What is this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-dwm/eb8ca886-88f6-4386-be74-211450a060df

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windosd 10 disable composition winclassic