Windows 10: How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog

Discus and support How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I have recently installed update KB4493464. Since this has installed I have got 1 pop up every time I try to open a file type. The file types... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mike_coreit, Apr 26, 2019.

1. How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog

Hi I have recently installed update KB4493464. Since this has installed I have got 1 pop up every time I try to open a file type.

The file types previously worked without issue, and the association settings are still correct, but for every file it has asked me again to set the open with program (examples .csv, .mp4, .txt) .

Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour? It is not really an issue for me, since I know the work-around.

I am using Windows 10 1803 64-bit

:)

mike_coreit, Apr 26, 2019
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Apr 26, 2019
  3. jaydeee Win User
    PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog :)

jaydeee, Apr 26, 2019
  4. trodas Win User

How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog

Force list view in the Open-Save dialog possible?

A the left, major part of the image, is shown up the Open - Save dialog that show the cursed Icons by default in Win XP SP 1.0a... I do wonder, if I can modify the comdlg32.dll somehow (or registry?) to FORCE the Open-Save dialogue to open always default with the list view, as shown in the right part of the image:

How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog [​IMG]

I tried hard searching on Google for the comdlg32.dll internals, but did not found anything usefull. I think that it will be something in the dialogue no. 1547 (when one have disabled the places bar, witch places it will be the no. 1552) in comdlg32.dll file:

Code: 1547 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 537, 334 STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | DS_CONTEXTHELP | WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPCHILDREN | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU CAPTION "Otevřít" LANGUAGE LANG_CZECH, 0x1 FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg" { CONTROL "Oblast &hledání:", 1091, STATIC, SS_LEFT | SS_NOTIFY | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 3, 4, 49, 8 CONTROL "", 1137, COMBOBOX, CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_OWNERDRAWFIXED | CBS_HASSTRINGS | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP, 53, 1, 149, 300 CONTROL "", 1088, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD, 211, 1, 88, 16 CONTROL "", 1120, LISTBOX, LBS_NOTIFY | LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT | LBS_MULTICOLUMN | WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | WS_HSCROLL, 1, 18, 535, 284[/quote] But all these dropdown lists show only 4 numbers, witch is basically their position and size... Not what is pre-selected by them.

So, maybe I have to edit the dialog this way?

How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog [​IMG]

I don't know, but any ideas are more that wellcome! Thanks!

trodas, Apr 26, 2019
Thema:

How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog

1. How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog - Similar Threads - open file Open

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  4. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  5. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  6. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  7. How do you want to open this file

How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  8. "How do you want to open this file?"

"How do you want to open this file?": This pops up on my computer randomly, but generally every 5 to 10 minutes. It disappears on mouse click, but is annoying. Especially if in the middle of some work. See the attached screen shot. I have read through many posts regarding a variation of this popup that includes...
  9. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...
  10. Incomplete dialog: "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Support
    Incomplete dialog: "How do you want to open this file?": All the programs/files I need at startup open. However, the above dialog opens during startup every time. It never includes the top section naming the problem file (see attached screen shot of the normal dialog). 1. Is this a bug? Is there a fix for it? 2. If not a...