Windows 10: "How do you want to open this file" popup appears at random.

Discus and support "How do you want to open this file" popup appears at random. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; On Windows 10, there's an annoying popup that appears at random asking how I want to open a file. It will present a list of programs, but when I select... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ShortFuse2009, Apr 7, 2020.

1. "How do you want to open this file" popup appears at random.

On Windows 10, there's an annoying popup that appears at random asking how I want to open a file. It will present a list of programs, but when I select a program to open, the program says it cannot open the file. I've seen this thing appearing and it does so independently of any programs opening or closing. It will appear in the middle of defragging, it will appear in the middle of doing a 3D render in Daz Studio, it will appear if I leave the system idle...you get the picture.

I've tried to open Task Manager with the popup in place to see which programs could be prompting its appearance, but when I click on Task Manager, the popup disappears.

Today, though, I told the popup to open the mystery file with Notepad. "How do you want to open this file" popup appears at random. 35386043-43b7-47a0-a55f-d46d92ba7c52?upload=true.png

For whatever reason, something is trying to open C:\Program. I can't tell if it's actually trying to open a folder or file with that name or if it's trying to open Program Files or Program Files x86.

Numerous runs through with Avast, Malwarebytes, and the Malicious Software Removal Tool have gotten me nowhere. This installation of Windows 10 is two months old following a hard drive failure. My programs were installed from scanned and presumably clean installers I've had backed up from earlier, and this problem hasn't appeared in the previous install of Windows 10, so I'm all kinds of confused. What the hey?

:)

ShortFuse2009, Apr 7, 2020

2. Random Popups Windows 10

Hi Microsoft,

As the title suggested, I am currently encountering the issue where random popups occurred. It would seems like it was a command prompt and it randomly appeared and closes immediately. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

ArthurChuah, Apr 7, 2020
  3. blueworld Win User
    File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Thanks for your reply.

Whatever "it" is exactly, all I know is, it does not behave consistently. This is so across multiple systems. Also, it isn't just recent items, but pinned items that fail to produce the popup on mouse over (when they should).

If the File Explorer setting you're referring to is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items," I already have that turned on.

Based on my tests, I tend to think this is a bug. Did you try reproducing it?

1. Right click File Explorer in taskbar to open the jump list.
    2. Mouse over any of the pinned or recent folders and see if the popup with the location path appears (as shown in the screenshot with the original post).
    3. If it does appear, close out of the jump list by left clicking anywhere outside of it.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you find the popups not appearing. In my experience, it always occurs, even if not right away. And all too often when I need them most.

blueworld, Apr 7, 2020
  4. Ketxxx Win User

"How do you want to open this file" popup appears at random.

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

"How do you want to open this file" popup appears at random.

1. "How do you want to open this file" popup appears at random. - Similar Threads - open file popup

2. Blocking "How do you want to open this file?" popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocking "How do you want to open this file?" popup: Is there any way to permanently block the "How do you want to open this file?" popup.As an example, I double clicked just now to open a .psd Photoshop file and the popup appeared with Photoshop highlighted and the checkbox "Always use this app to open .psd files" unticked -...
  3. Blocking "How do you want to open this file?" popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocking "How do you want to open this file?" popup: Is there any way to permanently block the "How do you want to open this file?" popup.As an example, I double clicked just now to open a .psd Photoshop file and the popup appeared with Photoshop highlighted and the checkbox "Always use this app to open .psd files" unticked -...
  4. Blocking "How do you want to open this file?" popup

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  6. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  7. How do you want to open this file?

How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  8. How do you want to open this file popup when battery is charging

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do you want to open this file popup when battery is charging: Hello support, Kindly help, I have been facing this issue for a long time now and it is slowing my laptop and its very annoying. A popup saying how do you want to open this .0 file? keeps popping up every second, I have searched everywhere for the file and there is no file....
  9. "How do you want to open this file" appears everytime

"How do you want to open this file" appears everytime: I have a new Windows 10 machine. Everything was working well, until I recently installed Adobe Reader and a an Adobe Pro PDF program. Now, every time I launch a PDF (from Outlook say), I get the dialog box asking what program I want to use to render the PDF. I make a...
  10. Virus - 'How do you want to open this type of file?' System popup.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus - 'How do you want to open this type of file?' System popup.: Whenever I use my laptop this popup appear how do you want to open this type of link (http). When I press google chrome it takes me to a website. This popup keeps reappearing every 10 minutes. How do you solve this problem.[ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why the dialogue box how do you want to run this file appears after opening my laptop