Windows 10: How do you want to open this file ?

Discus and support How do you want to open this file ? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by pbr6464, Jul 25, 2017.

1. pbr6464 Win User

How do you want to open this file ?

When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of:

Internet Explorer
    Notepad
    Office XML Handler
    Paint
    Windows Media Player
    Word 2016
    WordPad

or search for another app on the PC

So basically I can't install any programs. It there a fix or is this what Microsoft wants.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

:)

pbr6464, Jul 25, 2017

2. "how do you want to open this file?"

every 30 minutes or so I keep getting this random pop up

How do you want to open this file ? [​IMG]

what file ?? there is not any file to open it and it just keeps going randomly it is been like this for 6 months and when I chose a program nothing happened.

please help me I am tired of it because whenever I am using fullscreen in video games or movies it brings me back to the desktop and canceling the fullscreen all the time.

abdulsalamgx, Jul 25, 2017
  3. "how do you want to open this file?"

Check if any freeloaders are starting with WIndows by assuring you have a Clean Boot from step 4 in this Checklist:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

I would also go over the other Checklist steps to know for sure the quality of your install, which is what matters most in Windows 10 with it's heavy Update servicing. Only Clean Installs appear to be avoiding problems, as an example the install in this link
    has no reported issues by any of the hundreds of thousands who have used it:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 25, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 25, 2017
  5. pbr6464 Win User
    I found my Windows 10 was corrupted and had Microsoft help with a reinstall for free. Thank you

pbr6464, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you want to open this file ? - Similar Threads - open file

2. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  3. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  4. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bin files keep opening in internet explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bin files keep opening in internet explorer: How do I get them to open in a new location? submitted by /u/NSipe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1cd4lip/bin_files_keep_opening_in_internet_explorer/
  6. After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...: I've been transferring mp3 and flac audio files in zip file format from SD cards using a SD card reader, from the reader via USB to a hp PC that uses windows 10 . I'm using the Windows file explorer to create the folders for the zip file on the PC. But when I try to open the...
  7. After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...: I've been transferring mp3 and flac audio files in zip file format from SD cards using a SD card reader, from the reader via USB to a hp PC that uses windows 10 . I'm using the Windows file explorer to create the folders for the zip file on the PC. But when I try to open the...
  8. After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...

9. Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog: In the last update, I started getting predictive word choices popping up above the path and file name in the popup dialog when doing an open or save as operation. Normally, the dialog will complete the name based on actual directory/file names, that is wonderful. For example,...
  10. Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog

Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog: In the last update, I started getting predictive word choices popping up above the path and file name in the popup dialog when doing an open or save as operation. Normally, the dialog will complete the name based on actual directory/file names, that is wonderful. For example,...