Windows 10: How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem

Discus and support How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I type in url box in any browser or in any application, i get this "How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box and I have to click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ysr, Dec 29, 2015.

1. YSR
    ysr Win User

How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem

When I type in url box in any browser or in any application, i get this "How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box and I have to click somewhere to continue. The dialogue box literally pops up every time I type a letter. I do not have this problem when using on screen keyboard. I have been facing this problem for the last 5 days. I feel this problem occured after windows 10 got updated to version 1511.

How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem [​IMG]

How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem [​IMG]

Did anybody face this problem?Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

:)

2. ysr2015 Win User

Thanks Pushyanth.

Sorry for the late reply. I think it might be keyboard problem. When I changed the keyboard, the problem disappeared. But interestingly, the same keyboard which is causing problem on my pc, which is running on windows 10, is working without any issues
    on a couple of other Pcs running on windows 7. Initially, instead of trying a new keyboard, I tried this keyboard on another pc. Since it worked on another pc running on windows 7, I thought problem might be something else. I tried to restore pc, created
    the new user account but those things did not fix the problem.

ysr2015, Dec 29, 2015
  3. How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and will help you out with this issue.

A quick question before we proceed.

Did you try typing with another keyboard see if the issue persist?

Have you tried to reboot into Safe Mode to check if you could shutdown the computer properly? If no, please refer the below given link and follow the steps to check if you can shutdown in Safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

If the issue doesn’t persist in Safe mode, perform a clean boot.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

Refer the below given link to learn how to perform a clean boot in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in
    "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    to reset computer as usual.

Check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may try to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue.

Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1. Go to Start menu and then click on Settings.

2. Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.

3. Select Add an Account.

4. Enter a user name and press Next.

5. Click on Finish.

6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.

7. Check if issue persists.

Please get back to us with the information. We’ll be happy to help you.

Pushyanth K S, Dec 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, welcome to tenforums. I've not heard of this before, but can imagine your frustration. A good number of people have encountered problems with build 1511, although it's rather late for updates to this build to occur unless someone installs an older 10240 build, for example.

To try to eliminate the effect of 3rd party programs:
    Does this problem occur in Safe Mode? After a clean boot?

Just to establish a baseline, if you haven't already done so, can you
    - open an elevated (admin) command prompt
    and run
    - SFC /Scannow
    and report the final result.

(It would be better if someone can then offer you a specific solution or means of exploring this)

dalchina, Dec 29, 2015
  5. YSR
    ysr Win User
    Sorry for the late reply. I think it might be keyboard problem. When I changed the keyboard, the problem disappeared. But interestingly, the same keyboard which is causing problem on my pc, which is running on windows 10, is working without any issues on a couple of other pcs running on windows 7. Initially, instead of trying a new keyboard, I tried this keyboard on another pc. Since it worked on another pc running on windows 7, I thought problem might be something else. I tried to restore pc, created the new user account but those things did not fix the problem.

6. dalchina New Member
    A random thought.. could it be related to whatever hotkey is used to open that dialogue? However the examples you show seem to indicate you're not typing the same character.

dalchina, Jan 9, 2016
  7. YSR
    ysr Win User
    I tried to restore to different restore points. But the problem persisted. Windows support from Microsoft suggested to change keyboard and see if it fixes it. It did. But I still wonder the old keyboard is not working on my windows 10 pc but it is still working on a windows 7 run pc. I am not a techie to understand if it is really keyboard malfunction or something else really. But I am relieved that it got solved.

8. dalchina New Member

A clear way forward is good. Sometimes it seems Win 10 shows strange sensitivity to certain devices- e.g. Atheros 9000 series Wifi cards, certain types of wireless mice... in ways not seen before. And it certainly demonstrates more fragility in respect of its start menu and universal apps. Give it a year.. maybe..!

dalchina, Jan 9, 2016
  9. YSR
    ysr Win User
    Thank you Dalchina for your replies *Smile

Thema:

1. How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem - Similar Threads - open pop dialogue

2. Cursor hover over pop up dialogue box in explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor hover over pop up dialogue box in explorer.: This may have been asked before but is there a way to edit what information is shown in the cursor pop up dialogue box?For example, when i hover the cursor over a jpeg image in windows explorer, a box will pop up displaying info about the file. I want to see more info or at...
  3. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pop up "How do you want to open this file?": Since a few days, whenever I turn on my pc this pop up always come.It says, "How do you want to open this file?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file/747ed767-c458-4d29-8fb9-c4e944d0e74e
  4. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pop up "How do you want to open this file?": Since a few days, whenever I turn on my pc this pop up always come.It says, "How do you want to open this file?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file/747ed767-c458-4d29-8fb9-c4e944d0e74e
  5. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

6. Sound dialogue box will not pop up on Dell Insperion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound dialogue box will not pop up on Dell Insperion: Sound dialogue box will not pop up on Dell Insperion 5600 series. Win 10 system. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-dialogue-box-will-not-pop-up-on-dell/2cfc104e-55e3-4c95-a865-b17724a1c257
  7. Dialogue box pop up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialogue box pop up: I keep receiving a reminder 'googledrivesync.exe is downloading from OneDrive' with 3 files available. They don't even start to download with only button available to 'Cancel'. I have cancelled, dialogue disappears then same dialogue box returns within a few minutes....
  8. endlessly battling "how do you want to open this file" pop up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    endlessly battling "how do you want to open this file" pop up: How do you want to open this file????? I don't know because the list of programs that are presented to me have no effect on resolving the issue, I have really no idea what file it is trying to open, i just know that it is completely random in it's coming, and the only way to...
  9. As windows loads, pop up box ask what program do you want to open this

in Windows 10 Support
    As windows loads, pop up box ask what program do you want to open this: As windows loads, pop up box ask "what program do you want to open this file". No file is identified. By clicking desktop, box will disappear. Can't find anything in error log, maybe I'm looking in the wrong log. Doesn't seem to affect the operating system, just a nuisance....
  10. "How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!

"How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!: As above - I've been using Win 10 x64 for sometime already. Recently, however, I keep encountering this issue. The dialog box pops up and asks me what program I want to use even though I've already set the defaults. It remembers the app once and forgets once I shut down the...