Windows 10: How does a combined 256GB SSD and 1TB SATA HDD work together?

Discus and support How does a combined 256GB SSD and 1TB SATA HDD work together? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm thinking of getting a new laptop and noticed that you can get a smallish SSD hard drive with a large 1TB normal hard drive with some laptops. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Autobahn, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Autobahn Win User

How does a combined 256GB SSD and 1TB SATA HDD work together?

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop and noticed that you can get a smallish SSD hard drive with a large 1TB normal hard drive with some laptops.

I've normally had a normal large hard drive on my laptops and was wondering what would happen when installing programs and saving large files etc.?

I didn't have to think about it before, but would I have to constantly think about transferring large files to the 1TB hard drive?

I'm thinking it might be best to just to stick to a normal large hard drive like I've had before.

:)

Autobahn, Sep 8, 2019
  2. RPB57 Win User

SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies
    in the fact I have installed a SSD in my machine. Windows is recognising the correct size of my SATA HDD however and the SSD isn't showing up quite rightly as its Linux formatted. Using a third party defragmentation program exactly the same problem occurs,
    however I was able to defragment my C drive using it as it just warned against it and didn't prohibit me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RPB57, Sep 8, 2019
  3. RPB57 Win User
    SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Just occurred to me. Could it be that the primary boot drive is the Linux SSD. I've got a feeling this could

be the problem. I'm not sure how to configure Windows 10 to boot from the SATA HDD. I will try reinstalling the drivers and look into the BIOS but would appreciate your take on my suggestion.

RPB57, Sep 8, 2019
  4. How does a combined 256GB SSD and 1TB SATA HDD work together?

SSD VS HDD Drives

Update:

I just now finished setting up my new system with a 256gb PCIe SSD (Boot) drive and a 1tb SATA HHD (Data) drive. And I must admit, the system Really Fly's with the SSD. So far, I'm very Impressed and satisfied with the performance and speed.

Leprechaun J, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

How does a combined 256GB SSD and 1TB SATA HDD work together?

1. How does a combined 256GB SSD and 1TB SATA HDD work together? - Similar Threads - does combined 256GB

2. Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD: I've got a 2TB C drive that I'm running at the moment. The thing takes ages to load up. I've also had a 250GB SSD sitting on my shelf for a while. The issue is that there is no boot partition on the old the HDD so the OS is just lumped in there with everything else....
  3. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after restoring 256GB M.2 SATA image to 1TB NVMe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after restoring 256GB M.2 SATA image to 1TB NVMe: So my Asus Q406D 2 in 1 laptop came with a 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, and I want to upgrade it to 1TB. I have a 1TB NVME PCIe Gen 3x4 that was in my Dell that died so I want to put that drive in it. I used Macrium Reflect to make an image of the SATA SSD, I swapped the SATA out for...
  4. New 1tb SSD showing 256gb (ssd that was replaced) how do I make the unallocated space merge...

New 1tb SSD showing 256gb (ssd that was replaced) how do I make the unallocated space merge...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mikebrilliant [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvlt9q/new_1tb_ssd_showing_256gb_ssd_that_was_replaced/
  5. New 1tb SSD showing 256gb (ssd that was replaced) how do I make the unallocated space merge...

New 1tb SSD showing 256gb (ssd that was replaced) how do I make the unallocated space merge...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mikebrilliant [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvkxrr/new_1tb_ssd_showing_256gb_ssd_that_was_replaced/
  6. SATA HDD recognised as SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SATA HDD recognised as SSD: Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have...
  7. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  8. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...
  9. SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable: Bios does not have Hot Swap options for SATA drives. Interface is AHCI. Have tried: " reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x" Which corrects for one drive but when run on the second...
  10. Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD

Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD: HP p6716f Win10 HP (x64) desktop 1 TB hard drive (920 GB free) needs to be replaced. --- It appears to me there is only 80GB in use. Is that correct? I’d like to replace it with an SSD: I suspect 250 GB would be more than ample size. I've read that it isn't possible to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do 1tb sata and 256mb ssd work together

2. how to get ssd and hdd working together

3. how does an ssd and hardrive work together