Windows 10: How does disk cleanup work?

Discus and support How does disk cleanup work? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm currently in need of freeing some storage space, so I've been researching on stuff like disk cleanup, but I still don't know how it knows how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Scorpio-Robonb, Apr 14, 2021.

1. How does disk cleanup work?

I'm currently in need of freeing some storage space, so I've been researching on stuff like disk cleanup, but I still don't know how it knows how to recognize what to delete, I have some downloads and games that I wouldn't want it to delete. So what I would like to know is can I be sure that it won't delete anything I want to keep if I do disk cleanup?

submitted by /u/Scorpio-Robonb
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Scorpio-Robonb, Apr 14, 2021

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Apr 14, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Apr 14, 2021
  4. How does disk cleanup work?

Disk cleanup not working on Windows 10.

Hello David,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What is the exact error message you are getting?
    • Are you trying to delete the temporary files or system files using
      Disk cleanup
      ?

Disk cleanup is used to delete the un-wanted and un-necessary temporary files located in your PC. However you can also use Disk cleanup to delete system files on the PC, which is not recommended as it might cause system
    performance issues on the PC.

When performing Disk Cleanup, checking the appropriate options is necessary so you do not delete the restore points present in the system.

Refer to the steps from the link below on Disk cleanup in Windows 10 and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

If the issue persists, is suggest you to close all the system windows which is kept open on the desktop and check if the Disk cleanup method works.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

How does disk cleanup work?

1. How does disk cleanup work? - Similar Threads - does disk cleanup

2. Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing: I don't know if this is just me having this issue or not, but every time I run Disk Cleanup it seemingly does nothing to give me back space. In fact, every time I've run it it seems to take away space not much space, but still. In order for me to regain any space I've had to...
  3. Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing: I don't know if this is just me having this issue or not, but every time I run Disk Cleanup it seemingly does nothing to give me back space. In fact, every time I've run it it seems to take away space not much space, but still. In order for me to regain any space I've had to...
  4. Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup: Trying to remove Windows Update Cleanup files either using Settings windows or Disk Cleanup, it displays 4 GB of occupied space by Windows Update Cleanup but I cannot remove it either way. I tried:Running Disk Cleanup as administrator,Running Disk Cleanup in SafeMode,Manual...
  6. Disk cleanup not working as it should

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk cleanup not working as it should: Hi guys am new here, as in first time posting, but I have used ur site in the past. I really need help with a issue I have, as in everytime I run Windows 10 disk cleanup utility and clean up everything suggested by disk cleanup, for some strange reason where it says windows...
  7. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  8. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  9. Disk Cleanup does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Cleanup does not work: My diskcleanup is not working. It shows 159mb of Temp Internet files and 10.5gb of Windows Update. I select and click 'ok' to delete, but nothing happens. Restarting does nothing. I've seen countless posts with other people having the same problem and, so far, I have...
  10. disk cleanup does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    disk cleanup does not work: disk cleanup not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup-does-not-work/9ebff663-64b7-4d3d-ad73-a41c60b2e47b