Windows 10: how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up

Discus and support how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up, not even sure how to copy to a disk :( win 10 64x... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by marielisabrown, Oct 19, 2018.

1. how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up

how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up, not even sure how to copy to a disk how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up :( win 10 64x

:)

marielisabrown, Oct 19, 2018
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Turn on File History in Windows 10

Hi,

To address your concern, we suggest that you turn off File history then add the drive again.

To turn off File History, please follow these steps:

• Click the Start​ button, select Settings.
      Click Update & security.
    • Choose Backupand click More options.
    • See advanced settings, then click the Turn off button.
    Restart the system then turn back on File History and add the drive.

If the issue persist, run the System File Checker tool. System File Checker
    scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To run this tool, please refer to this
    link

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Jerry8AB Win User
    File History - Does not turn off

Thanks again for your suggestion. Most of the items mentioned were mentioned in your previous post.

As I mentioned in my original post, File History shows history entries in my Task Schedule menu History listings even though I have turned it off. Now, I did notice one other entry in the History listing. The History listing said “Maintenance Mode.” So,
    I wonder if that mode reacts differently and rejects my File History Off and Task Schedule settings and lists File History listings under a different parameter. That may account for the history dates not agreeing with File History and Task Schedule dates.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Oct 21, 2018
  4. TiredofFH Win User

how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up

Turn on File History in Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestions.

The turn off button was greyed out and was unresponsive.

I had been advised to run the system file checker several time and found no problems.

In the meantime my machine has been returned to the suppler for a factory reset and is working again.

TiredofFH, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up

1. how does file history turn on if its all shaded out to do a back up - Similar Threads - does file history

2. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  3. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  4. How does Back up using File History work?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How does Back up using File History work?: Hello, I would like to start using Back up using File History on Windows 10 and I had a couple of questions that I could not answer using the official pages. 1. If I select either a partition from a separate internal HDD or one from an external USB HDD, does File History...
  5. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  6. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  7. File History Service is Grayed Out & Cannot Turn Back On

File History Service is Grayed Out & Cannot Turn Back On: I have an issue with my laptop. 1) My File History Service is grayed out...Cannot turn back on. Here are my steps to attempt to turn on the File History Service. I typed services in the search box ---> then opened the service app ----> located File History Service --->...
  8. I turned File History on, but no files are being backed up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I turned File History on, but no files are being backed up: I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so I'm brand new to Windows 10. Two days ago, I turned on File History. I set "Back up my files" to "Every 30 minutes" and "Keep my backups" to "Forever." I designated a shared folder on a NAS for the backups. After I turned...
  9. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  10. File history not backing up all files.

File history not backing up all files.: I just purchased a new SSD and reinstalled windows using the MS media creation tool. It installed the latest Windows 10 Pro 1809 I installed many apps and games. I decided to run File History as previous backups have failed miserably. I check my game folder in appdata...