Windows 10: How does file sharing between 2 different accounts on the same computer work

Discus and support How does file sharing between 2 different accounts on the same computer work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I bought a game on one account, would I have to redownload it on the other account so they both have it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrennenM, Apr 27, 2021.

1. BrennenM Win User

How does file sharing between 2 different accounts on the same computer work

If I bought a game on one account, would I have to redownload it on the other account so they both have it?

:)

BrennenM, Apr 27, 2021
  2. BestSax Win User

File Sharing

Do you have a handy site I can read regarding file sharing across my home network?

I have a laptop for work that is a part of a different workgroup.

I have 2 desktop computers on the same workgroup. They all have different user names and accounts.

One Desktop (of the 2) is running xp pro, and the other xp home.

I want to be able to file share documents without opening them up to Everyone, and that seems to be the only way I can gain access to the files.

I wanted to make it so that you would need to provide a user name and password that matched the computer you were trying to access the files’ user account. At work, that is what happens when I try to access a network drive because my laptop’s user name is different then what they gave me to access the network. A dialog box appears, I put in my network name and I’m in.

I appreciate your help.

BestSax, Apr 27, 2021
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Apr 27, 2021
  4. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

1. How does file sharing between 2 different accounts on the same computer work - Similar Threads - does file sharing

2. Difference between 2 files that have the same extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between 2 files that have the same extension: Hi 1st time here, I have a situation where files are being written to a folder with the same file extension (.art) and they can be either a csv type or a PDF and I want to copy the csv files only to another folder to be FTP to a site. I have been looking at Powershell as I...
  3. File sharing between 2 computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing between 2 computers: File sharing between 2 computers used to be easy when Homegroup was available! How do I file/folder share between 2 computers using Windows 10? If I right click on a folder> Give Access to > Homegroup is not accessible. If I select "specific people" > Add it tells me this...
  4. Sharing Apps between accounts on the same computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sharing Apps between accounts on the same computer: Longtime Windows users but first time owner. I purchased a laptop as a family computer and created an admin account for myself and added my kids. I first installed CHROME free 3rd party and then went to the app store and downloaded MINECRAFT paid for in app store. CHROME,...
  5. How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer: I have recently installed Windows 10 64bit onto a new HD and i was trying to copy files from my old 32bit HD onto it. I have tried two different methods. First starting on the new drive. I access the old drive and simply attempt a copy paste. However i am never even able to...
  6. share all files between 2 pc's on the same private LAN

share all files between 2 pc's on the same private LAN: I have a desktop PC and a mobile PC, both have the latest version of windows 10, on both I use the same microsoft account for login. After much fiddling with sharing settings both are able to see each other again, but there are no persmissions to acces files or folders....
  7. trying to share files between computers on the same wifi network

trying to share files between computers on the same wifi network: Struggling to share files between my desktop and laptop on the same wifi in the same house. Had no problems with HomeGroup, but that's long gone. File Explorer = share file with Specific Person...all I get is Windows cannot find that person Anyone figure this out?...
  8. sharing files between computers.

sharing files between computers.: Let me be clear. I have a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer, I'm having a hideous time trying to share files between the computers, (I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN ONLINE FILE SHARING SYSTEM TO SHARE THE FILES.) I.E. Onedrive. both computers are on the same network...
  9. How do I share IE favorites between 2 users on the same computer?

How do I share IE favorites between 2 users on the same computer?: I have multiple accounts on a computer with Windows 10. I would like to share IE favorites (or at least copy them) from one user with another user....
  10. problem sharing files between computers on the same network

problem sharing files between computers on the same network: I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I have (successfully) connected/shared my old Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop (via an Ethernet cable) so that I can copy files from the old to the new. An odd problem has occurred: When attempting to copy some folders (e.g.,...