Windows 10: How does office activation work? I need to buy a copy, suggestions?

Discus and support How does office activation work? I need to buy a copy, suggestions? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I need office for work, i have found Office 2019 Professional Plus for $59 unless you guys can suggest a place to buy it? I do not want the pay... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by David9723, Jul 4, 2021.

1. David9723 Win User

How does office activation work? I need to buy a copy, suggestions?

I need office for work, i have found Office 2019 Professional Plus for $59 unless you guys can suggest a place to buy it? I do not want the pay monthly. Is the activation like win 10 tied to your hardware ID? Thanks

:)

David9723, Jul 4, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

Discounted Office Professional Plus for sale online

Eight years ago I obtained a copy of Office Professional Plus 2010 for a non-profit organization I work with. I bought it from a company this is authorized by Microsoft to distriubte volume license software. When I logged onto the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center I was given the following:
    • Link to download Office Professional Plus 2010 installation file
    • MAK Product Key for volume license

Types of product keys
    • MAK Product Key - Allows one time activation with a Microsoft activation server
    • KMS Product Key - Allows multiple activations through a companies own activation servers

Note when you buy Office through the volume license channel you are actually buying activations. No matter how many activations you buy you only get one Product Key for all of them. You get to use the same Product Key to install Office until you exceed the number of activations purchased.

I see a number of online websites that offer Office Professional Plus 2016 and 2019 for sale at a greatly discounted price. Since these products are only normally supposed to be available through the volume license channel where are these products coming from?

Suggested scenario:

These keys may have been bought originally through the volume license channel but are being resold online. For example suppose an online seller obtained 100 activations from some company. They then sell the same MAK Product Key up to 100 times to different buyers.

Does this scenario make sense? Would that explain how these copies of Office are being sold?

MisterEd, Jul 4, 2021
  3. Trying to install and activate an old copy of Office 2007

Hello everyone. My name is Stephen Lester and I am a retired senior with just enough experience to be dangerous! Recently, I was trying to install and activate an old copy of Office 2007. It installed ok but when I tried to activate it it gave me an error message stating the product key was invalid. When I called Microsoft they told me that Office 2007 not longer runs on windows 10! Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks!
    SFL

Stephenflester, Jul 4, 2021
  4. MisterEd Win User

Problem Activating Office 2019

You can save a few steps and do this

1. Go to this page: Microsoft 365
    2. Log in with your Microsoft account
    3. Enter your Office product key
    4. Use the link given to download Office 2019
    5. install Office 2019
    I used this method for both of my copies of Office 2019

BTW, Microsoft Toolkit 2.71 says this:
    Product Description: Office19_ProPlus2019MSDNR_Retail

MisterEd, Jul 4, 2021
Thema:

1. How does office activation work? I need to buy a copy, suggestions? - Similar Threads - does office activation

2. Do I need an activated copy of windows to allow 365 to work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need an activated copy of windows to allow 365 to work?: Hi, my daughter has built her own PC and is using an activated copy of Win11 on teh machine. She is a student and so has access to 365 via her school - however when she tries to log in she gets a message saying there is no account for her login - this isn't the case as she...
  3. Do I need an activated copy of windows to allow 365 to work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need an activated copy of windows to allow 365 to work?: Hi, my daughter has built her own PC and is using an activated copy of Win11 on teh machine. She is a student and so has access to 365 via her school - however when she tries to log in she gets a message saying there is no account for her login - this isn't the case as she...
  4. How does Copy in explorer work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How does Copy in explorer work: I use file explorer, copy command to do quick and dirty backups onto a portable drive...I select the folders I'm interested in, and copy them to a USB drive.Since a lot of the files most of them, in fact are already on the portable drive after the first copy, file explorer...
  5. How Does a Copy Buffer Work?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Does a Copy Buffer Work?: I know this sounds like a very basic question and it is. I don't know much about computer. What does a copy buffer specifically do - the actual steps? I'm asking this question because I want to know how big I should make the buffer size in the FastCopy program. I don't...
  6. Need activation for my office

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need activation for my office: Dear sir/Madam, I am purchasing Lenovo laptop on reliance digital on 08.08.2020.now sales team toll me now there is pre loaded office in this laptop.but tried activate for licence but its only visible on trial back.so I need activate my licence.so kindly help as for...
  7. I need a suggestion!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need a suggestion!: I want to use ROS and Gazebo in wsl2. But wsl2 requires me to have 2004build. My computer currently has 1909 build and windows is not showing the updates automatically. Should I update using the update tool or should I wait ??? And is it a good idea to use ros and gazebo on...
  8. buying office

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    buying office: Please is there any other method of payment other than through card ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/buying-office/6abd8fe6-e497-450b-ba34-d0033d9e7bd4
  9. Laptop comparison - suggestions needed for buying

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop comparison - suggestions needed for buying: I'm planning to buy a new laptop I've shortlisted these two models, considering their same price. ASUS TUF FX504 Intel Core i7 8th Gen 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB/1TB Hybrid HDD (FireCuda) + 128GB SSD/Windows 10/GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Graphics/Gun Metal/2.30 Kg),...
  10. Buying new laptop, need suggestions :D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Buying new laptop, need suggestions :D: I am looking to purchase a new laptop. I was originally looking at models with an i7-4720hq, But the cheap ones (750-900$) weren't really up to my standards. Then I came into more money, and I looked at some of the higher end models (1100-1250$). Little bit better, but most...