Windows 10: how does one make Chrome the default browser

Discus and support how does one make Chrome the default browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have set Chrome to default browser and all seems to be well apart from one or even to burps. In certain emails, I click on an attachment and it will... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Maggidon, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Maggidon Win User

how does one make Chrome the default browser

I have set Chrome to default browser and all seems to be well apart from one or even to burps. In certain emails, I click on an attachment and it will still open up Microsoft Edge.
    The question for today is ... how does one stop an attachment file stubbornly opening up Edge instead of Chrome? Do please type very slowly in order for me to understand. Thank you!

:)

Maggidon, Aug 15, 2015
  2. Schill1 Win User

how do I make Google Chrome my default browser instead of edge

How does one make Google Chrome the default web browser on windows 10

[Moved from: Microsoft Edge / Website issues / Windows 10]

Schill1, Aug 15, 2015
  3. tdehan Win User
    Cannot change DEFAULT browser in Windows 10

How does one change the DEFAULT browser in Windows 10? I would like to change it to IE11. It has been set to Chrome.

Here are the steps I've tried:

1. Go into Settings

2. Choose Default apps

3. Select Web Browser

4. Select IE

5. Nothing happens! It still shows that it is set to Chrome.

6. Reboot

7. Default browser is still set to Chrome. However, when going through the process again, under Choose Default Apps | Web browser, instead of Chrome showing it shows a grey box with a plus sign in it.

how does one make Chrome the default browser [​IMG]

How does one change the Default Browser??

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

tdehan, Aug 15, 2015
  4. how does one make Chrome the default browser

if you go into settings....there is one for the internet settings, I am certain in there you can set the default browser....

reddwarf4ever, Aug 15, 2015
  5. Hello "Maggidon",

This video should explain how to set Chrome as the default browser in Windows 10. *Huh
    [youtube]rEnw_G3X8G0[/youtube]

If you prefer text:
    • On your computer, click the start menu
    • Select PC Settings gear
    • Click on System > Default Apps.
    • Under "Web browser," click your current browser, typically Microsoft Edge.
    • In the "Choose App" pop-up that appears, click Google Chrome.

Cheers, *092
    Mosaic Mars

MosaicMars, Aug 15, 2015
  6. Maggidon Win User
    Thanks for the replies. I've been in here & set Chrome as default when I first upgraded. If I hit a link in Outlook, it takes me right to Chrome. But in one particular email, there is a PDF file and clicking on that takes me over to Edge.
    It seems this particular type of File sets something off and opens up Edge. Is there a way to overcome this?

Maggidon, Aug 15, 2015
  7. Add the PDF Extension to Chrome.

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  8. Maggidon Win User

Added the PDF viewer extension. This is still not fixing the problem. When I right click on that particular file in this email, it still says "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it." When I open it, it still takes me to Edge.

Any other suggestions?

Maggidon, Aug 15, 2015
  9. 1 - Download a PDF file to your desk top. Right click it and choose Properties...
    2 - See where it says Opens with: Microsoft Edge? Click Change...
    3 - Click More Apps
    4 - Click Chrome
    5 - Click 'Always use this app to open .PDF files.'
    6 - Click OK

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  10. Maggidon Win User
    This is the trick no doubt but I'm trying to download a pdf file that doesn't automatically open in Chrome. This will be another exciting chore no doubt. Thank you for the help.

Maggidon, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Maggidon Win User
    Got it. Simply saved the PDF and then right clicked on it and chose Chrome to open it. It works 101% now. Thank you again for the help!

Maggidon, Aug 15, 2015
  12. AABoyz Win User
    Hi all, firsty here <-- *Smile

However, this trick does not work anymore, did all as usual, however, the PDF icon remains with an Edge icon and unable to select anything else than Edge as the default browser, even after hitting the reset button.

Please help, I most likely have the least amount of brain here . . . need help. Had to reset and lost most every settings.*Sick

AABoyz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how does one make Chrome the default browser - Similar Threads - does Chrome default

2. Why can't I make chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't I make chrome my default browser?: When I go Setting > Default Apps > web browser then click on it only microsoft edge and opera pop up. Do I need to reinstall chrome? Am I being an idiot? please help. submitted by /u/puffydefish [link] [comments]...
  3. Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?

in Browsers and Email
    Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?: When I upgraded to 10Pro, from 10Home- Edge changed from Chrome Default to Edge Default? I Never use Edge, and prefer the Chrome Security features... Is there a reason to make Chrome Default (Sync is On)? If so- How do I do this, and Not get nagged by Edge? 173980
  4. Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?: When I upgraded to 10Pro, from 10Home- Edge changed from Chrome Default to Edge Default? I Never use Edge, and prefer the Chrome Security features... Is there a reason to make Chrome Default (Sync is On)? If so- How do I do this, and Not get nagged by Edge? 173980
  5. I can't make google chrome my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't make google chrome my default browser: [ATTACH] So I set google chrome to be my default browser but whenever I click the "windows" button and search for something, it goes directly to microsoft edge. I am not sure how to fix that....
  6. How do I make Chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make Chrome my default browser?: how do I stop MSN automatically loading up when I connect to the Internet, I have to keep closing it and opening chrome, also when start-up my computer doesn't automatically connect to the Internet, I have to keep man,ually connecting it though I've ticked the box...
  7. How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10: I am not getting the way to set Chrome as default browser permanently. Just give the steps to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-chrome-default-browser-in-windows-10/90038208-eac7-4935-92a3-9bb0e17f6cc8
  8. Make Chrome the default browser in start-search

in Browsers and Email
    Make Chrome the default browser in start-search: How do I make Google Chrome (rather the Edge) as the default search engine when do a Start - search request? 94202
  9. Cannot make Chrome as default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot make Chrome as default browser: I have tried all the suggested methods of setting Chrome as a default browser. When open Chrome, I go through of downloading Chrome and agreeing to terms etc etc and it does not work. The next time I log in with Chrome it asks me to make it a default again. When I go through...
  10. Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge

in Browsers and Email
    Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge: Hello & Thanks , Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge . When in Chrome and I click make chrome default , nothing happens . And Edge won't let go . How to fix . Thanks...Vern 35805