Windows 10: How does one split ethernet connection?

Discus and support How does one split ethernet connection? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello folks, Apologies if this question sounds super basic. I have an issue with my wifi. The router is provided by the cable company, and almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by crackhammer, Jul 15, 2016.

1. How does one split ethernet connection?

Hello folks,

Apologies if this question sounds super basic. I have an issue with my wifi. The router is provided by the cable company, and almost everyone in the apartment block has same ISP and same type of router. There is so much conflict (that is my guess) with the signal that my own wi-fi is very poor. I get the full strength signal but occasionally it doesn't work. I am really fed up. I have decided to go wired.

My question is, if I go wired, do I still need a router? Can I just grab a cable from the cable box to ethernet switch like this one and split that internet connection to all my devices? Is there anything more than this one?

Many thanks for all the comments.

:)

crackhammer, Jul 15, 2016

2. Xbox one Ethernet problem

My ethernet cable is running from my internet modem to my xbox one,the internet works fine in the rest of the house and the ethernet cable works in my computer but when i plug the ethernet cable into my xbox it does bit detect it at all,it says something
    along the lines of ‘connect to a wireless network or plug in an ethernet cable to go online’.does anyone know how to fix this problem

gavoc2000curtis, Jul 15, 2016
  3. Computer Performance

I was shown a shortcut to display how my computer was performing and how all memory was being allocated.

Can someone explain to me how to get there on Windows 10?

It allowed me to see how my WiFi and Ethernet were working, as well as how my memory was being split up, so that my performance was broken down in visual form for me.

HELP!!

Thanks!!`

Philip McDermott, Jul 15, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

How does one split ethernet connection?

The device pictured probably is only a switch, not a router in any sense of the word. What do both ends of the connection cable that goes from the wall jack to the provided router look like?

RolandJS, Jul 15, 2016
  5. Phone Man Win User
    What about the router from the cable company. Does it have Ethernet Lan ports. Most have four.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jul 15, 2016
  6. urban Win User
    Does the router provided by the company have ethernet slots? If so, just connect to one of them and that is it, no configuration needed. Since it is a cable company, I am guessing that the router connects to the "outside" using tv cable? If so, you will not be able to ditch it.

urban, Jul 15, 2016
  7. The connection comes as a coaxial cable, that goes in the TV box/modem. From that TV box, TV and Ethernet ports separate. Ethernet cable goes in the router. It has only few ports, one yellow where the ethernet cable from TV box goes. The other ports are occupied by Obi, Roku, TV. We still need 3 more ports for 3 laptops at home.

In ideal case, I would like to return the cable company's router, remove wifi altogether, and keep wired connection only. How do I achieve that?

crackhammer, Jul 16, 2016
  8. bookfox Win User

You would have to buy your own gateway - meaning modem and router all in one device - making sure it's "compatible" with the ISP service. Most of them will come with wifi, but you can disable said wifi in the settings of the device.

bookfox, Jul 16, 2016
  9. Phone Man Win User
    Replace the ISP router with an 8-port router.

If you want to keep the ISP Router you can add a switch like from your 1st post.
    Run a cable from a spare LAN port on the Router to your switch and you now have additional ports.
    A Router is needed to control your LAN network.

Amazon.com: 8 port router

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jul 16, 2016
  10. wyldman68 Win User
    If you can access the admin console on your cable provided Wifi router. I would change the frequency from the default, which would be the same for everyone else using that modem, to a frequency in the middle of the list or near the bottom. Then the other wifi routers will not be stomping on your signal.

wyldman68, Jul 17, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Unless the modem (the box the coaxial cable connects to with the single ethernet port out) contains a built in router with DHCP, then the next box after the modem needs to be a router. If the modem does have a built in router with DHCP, then you could get by with just a multi-port switch after it.

If you have a router after the modem and you need more ports, then you can add a switch or hub to one of those ports from the router to extend the network and you don't need any additional routers.

My home network is a cable modem - coax in, single ethernet out. Router with WiFi which has single ethernet in from modem, 4 ethernet ports out and the WiFi signal. My network attached storage plugs directly into the first router. The three other ports of the router all go to multi-port switches at different locations in my house that have stationary desktop computers and other stationary devices connected to them. The WiFi signal provides the connection for all the portable computers in my house - laptops, tablets and cell phones. My main router is in the basement. On the second floor in my daughter's bedroom where she needs ethernet for her TV is a WiFi bridge/repeater. That connects to my WiFi signal and produces 4 ethernet ports from the WiFi signal and also repeats the WiFi signal giving me good signal upstairs.

I currently run dual band WiFi - 600 Mbps on 2.4 ghz and 1300 Mbps on 5 ghz. Lucky I don't have any neighboring WiFi that is any concern to me. You can use the still free, older version of inSSIDer 3 to sniff the WiFi channels at your location and it will tell you what channel is the best to set your WiFi to:
    inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How does one split ethernet connection? - Similar Threads - does split ethernet

2. How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?: My work computer PC does not allow for wifi connection and only allows ethernet connection. This is fine when I'm at home. While traveling, what device can I use to connect to a hotel's wifi, while using my ethernet cable, but without being able to download drivers into my...
  3. How to I connect to ethernet with no connection options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to I connect to ethernet with no connection options?: I just went from Windows 11 to Windows 10 because that OS works better with my pc, I've been trying to set it up but i cannot find any options whenever I look in Change Adapter Settings. I've seen images online that there are supposed to be things there to pick from, but mine...
  4. PC ethernet connection does not work at apartment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC ethernet connection does not work at apartment: So, I have a very interesting problem with my ethernet at my apartment. My PC can not detect that an ethernet cable is plugged into my computer unless I alter the 'speed & duplex' setting. Afterwards, it says that the 'ethernet does not have a valid IP address'. The part that...
  5. PC ethernet connection does not work at apartment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC ethernet connection does not work at apartment: So, I have a very interesting problem with my ethernet at my apartment. My PC can not detect that an ethernet cable is plugged into my computer unless I alter the 'speed & duplex' setting. Afterwards, it says that the 'ethernet does not have a valid IP address'. The part that...
  6. Split one screen in to 4

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Split one screen in to 4: Is it possible to split my screen in to 4 "virtual screen" I watch a lot of soccer and would like to watch 4 games at the same time in fullscreen but i dont know how i would do that submitted by /u/halojeppe [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 does not recognize ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 does not recognize ethernet connection: The ethernet port on my motherboard does not work so I have been using an ethernet to usb adapter for several years. My computer was on Win10 ver 105XX long story earlier today with no internet connection issues. I fully updated to ver 19041 will all optional updates and now...
  8. How does one connect a second monitor with WIN10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How does one connect a second monitor with WIN10: I want to use two displays at the same time. What is needed and how is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-does-one-connect-a-second-monitor-with-win10/e4495608-e299-42dc-bd2f-dfd030930f9a
  9. How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?

How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?: Hi, I am connected to one Router. However, when connected wirelessly, I see there is a network name 'MikroTik- Mohammad'. However, when I am connected with a wired cable, I see the network name as 'MikroTik-BCEDB'. As a result, when I am connected wirelessly and via...
  10. Ethernet does not want to connect

Ethernet does not want to connect: I have just started up my new PC that I just bought and now I need help with a problem. My network notification says that I have Ethernet connection but no internet connection. The cable was okay and plugged in properly. I checked network and sharing center, diagnosed and...