Windows 10: How does restore & backup work with bitlocker?

Discus and support How does restore & backup work with bitlocker? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Let say i want to encrypt my c:\ drive with bitlocker and make a system image from it, i first unlock the drive right...(if not set to automatic) then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by OxtailSnail, Jul 2, 2017.

1. How does restore & backup work with bitlocker?

Let say i want to encrypt my c:\ drive with bitlocker and make a system image from it, i first unlock the drive right...(if not set to automatic) then make the image... but how does a restore work??? if the PC does not boot anymore? and i got the image on a external HD does any restore software work?, my question is this how is the restore process? is it like i find the image with the restore software... type the decryption key > restore the image > turn on bitlocker again or? i really have no clue hope someone can help and explain it to me!

:)

OxtailSnail, Jul 2, 2017
  2. dar501 Win User

Windows Backup Image Restore in Windows 10

Thank you to both replies.

It DOES SEEM that Windows "Backup & Restore (Windows 7)" WILL make an image of a Windows 10 (or Windows 8, for that matter) computer.

Try*3's response led me along an alternative path to the same outcome I outlined above: ie, the image is made by something called "Backup & Restore (Windows 7)." This program happily made an image file and then prompted me to create the rescue disc one
    must use to actually restore the image. Upon successful completion of the Rescue disc, I was is told to label that disc "Repair Disc Windows 10, 64-bit."

So it SEEMS that "Backup & Restore (Windows 7)" does make an image of a Windows 10 system that can (apparently) be restored with the Rescue Disk it prompts you to make after creating the image.

Apple is much worse, but Microsoft also seems to rather unnecessarily confuse us with their terminology and labels. Like the ridiculous "Library" shortcuts that obfuscate the actual pathname to a target... just crazy unnecessary confusion.

BOTTOM LINE: It SEEMS that "Backup & Restore (Windows 7)" DOES work to create Windows 10 image system back files. But I remain uncertain as to whether this will really work during a restore operation.

MICROSOFT: Can you PLEASE CLARIFY THIS? Please say somewhere that the program "Backup & Restore (Windows 7)" CAN be used to make and restore system images of Windows 8 & Windows 10 systems? I mean, that is... if it can!

Microsoft engineers do contribute to the forums... how about it? Clear this up for you customers???

Thank you kindly.

dar501, Jul 2, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 2, 2017
  4. Hydrate Win User

How does restore & backup work with bitlocker?

In order to restore the hard disk drive, you can follow the directions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ack-up-restore Essentially you need a bootable media (DVD or USB). I use a fresh install of Windows 10 to boot into rescue mode or better known Repair Mode. Next, if you fully encrypt your hard disk drive with BitLocker, then create a system image backup, the backup will have the same password key you used in BitLocker. Finally, once the backup is restored, there shouldn't be a problem restoring from backup and you will be prompted to enter the same password key to boot the computer.

Hydrate, Jul 2, 2017
  5. Thank you

OxtailSnail, Jul 2, 2017
  6. Hydrate Win User
    You're welcome! I tried to make the explanation as minimally convoluted as possible.

Hydrate, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How does restore & backup work with bitlocker?

1. How does restore & backup work with bitlocker? - Similar Threads - does restore backup

2. Does Windows Backup and Restore works for older versions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows Backup and Restore works for older versions: I'm currently using windows 11 and planning to roll back to windows 10. I took a backup of my C drive from control panel settings. So does that backup image file which gets created after backup process, run on my newly installed windows 10....
  3. Does Windows Backup and Restore works for older versions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows Backup and Restore works for older versions: I'm currently using windows 11 and planning to roll back to windows 10. I took a backup of my C drive from control panel settings. So does that backup image file which gets created after backup process, run on my newly installed windows 10....
  4. How does Bitlocker unlocking work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does Bitlocker unlocking work?: I'm trying to understand how Bitlocker works, when encrypting the main drive.From my understanding, it encrypts the whole drive, so once the system is shutdown, one would need the decryption key to unlock it.However, when starting the PC, even before entering the user data,...
  5. How does Bitlocker unlocking work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How does Bitlocker unlocking work?: I'm trying to understand how Bitlocker works, when encrypting the main drive.From my understanding, it encrypts the whole drive, so once the system is shutdown, one would need the decryption key to unlock it.However, when starting the PC, even before entering the user data,...
  6. How to restore a backup from iTunes not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to restore a backup from iTunes not working: Hello, I recently got a new Iphone 11, before going to the apple store I backed up my Iphone 7plus to iTunes it's important to note that this version of iTunes was downloaded from the Microsoft store, not apple. I made sure that my computer, iTunes, and my 7plus were all up...
  7. How does Windows Backup work?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How does Windows Backup work?: Hi there! I recently bought a new computer and want to learn about- and use the windows backup feature. Ive read somewhere that when using this feature, by default everything in the folder "Users" will automatically be back upped, is that correct? When I insert an USB...
  8. Restoring from backup not working?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring from backup not working?: Hi, I am trying to use this to restore my laptop to an older version, but whenever I right click and select "Restore Options" nothing happens. I have tried various ways to restore using this file but I just cannot find one or it doesn't work. Please help :)...
  9. Backup and Restore not working

Backup and Restore not working: I am using pre rtm build with all updates installed. I can't get backup and restore to complete a system image. It fails with message about failure in preparing the backup. Does it work for anyone? 9128
  10. Does Windows 7 Backup & Restore work in Windows 10?

Does Windows 7 Backup & Restore work in Windows 10?: I've noticed after upgrading Windows 7 to 10 that Backup and Restore (from 7) remains available in the Control Panel. The app appears to work, but I tried running a backup, including system image, on a friend's system and heard that it failed. I haven't looked at it yet, but...
Tags: