Windows 10: How does the dust option work ?

Discus and support How does the dust option work ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Only just found it after reading the above ! I don't see how this will work with software. The only thing it might do is run the fan in reverse. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arcadian, Mar 14, 2016.

1. How does the dust option work ?

I don't see how this will work with software. The only thing it might do is run the fan in reverse.

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 lappy and first took it apart to clean and inspect it after a year of use.
    It was very clean on the inside and the vane's on the fan needed only light cleaning.
    I used a ordinary vacuum cleaner to do it. No sense in wasting money on a can of air.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Mar 14, 2016
  2. Word Man Win User

I suspect also it only runs the fan in reverse, probably at highest speed possible. How effective or necessary it is more likely depends on how much dust it sees and sucks in during normal service and the size and consistency/composition of the particles. More effective for most time spent in the desert perhaps than next to the deep fryers and grill of your local greasy spoon.

Word Man, Mar 14, 2016
  3. Arcadian Win User
    Thanks, having been on Win 7 for ages it sounded like it had become a standard app since then, also same here I vacuumed about every six months and never had a problem either.

Be fun to try it out when I get a mo....*Smile

Arcadian, Mar 14, 2016
  4. How does the dust option work ?

My lappy has the intake vents on the bottom.
    When I removed the bottom cover, I saw there is a fine mesh material on the inside of these vents.
    So, only very fine dust particle's can get in, this is why it was so clean when I opened it after a year.

Also, I have the habit of vacuuming the both the keyboard and bottom every week or two
    with a brush attachment.

5. Please post back and let us know if you can see what it did during and after you run it.

6. Clintlgm Win User
    Asus has tunnels for expelling dust, there theory is that dust will migrate by centrifugal force to the outside edges of the fan blades where it is expelled out of dust tunnels. they have rubber plugs to plug these tunnels when the notebook is not in use.
    This is Asus theory and Implementation. There is no software to make this happen. In theory you pull the plugs and the dust come out the dust tunnels.

I have no Idea what Lenovo theory is I think you'll have to ask them. I'm quite sure this has nothing to do with window 10

Clintlgm, Mar 14, 2016
  7. b1rd Win User
  8. How does the dust option work ?

I watched it and think its useless.
    Nothing beats removing the bottom cover of the lappy and cleaning it correctly.
    Mine is held in place with three screw's, couldn't be much easier.

9. Archie123 Win User
    actually i do it on my liquid cooling radiator , it should actually read run all fans at full bore for a few minutes How does the dust option work ? :p Some laptops run their fans backwards some have an extra fan , but basically its turn everything to 100%

its not useless and done regulaly it helps keep heatsinks dust free , not everyone is comfortable taking panels off laptops , i even know people who wont even take the side of their pc

Archie123, Mar 14, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Can't be a gimmick, it's form Lenovo *Wink

It will run the fan really, really, really fast which will blow the dust off the CPU cooling fins. The fan running this fast will cause some vibration which will also help to loosen the dust from the fins.

I also have a bridge I'm trying to unload er sell I mean *Smile

Edit: I looked at the video in the posted link and the comments and it sounds like it actually does do some good.

Ztruker, Mar 16, 2016
  11. RWOne Win User
    The theory is somewhat sound, but I think it's gimmicky.

Runs the fans full bore, might dislodge some dust, but you know how a lot of it is statically clinging to the surfaces.

For a person who isn't likely to do any maintenance on it cleaning wise, might be ok, but they have to use it hehehe.

I agree with others though, a good can of air to blow it out is above this on my list, and on the top is a thorough cleaning where it's opened and wiped down.

RWOne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How does the dust option work ?

1. How does the dust option work ? - Similar Threads - does dust option

2. the download option does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the download option does not work: I tried to download to files from my e-mail, but it does not go thru to the download folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-download-option-does-not-work/0430a145-e541-49bc-8928-dd628219c1ca
  3. the download option does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the download option does not work: I tried to download to files from my e-mail, but it does not go thru to the download folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-download-option-does-not-work/0430a145-e541-49bc-8928-dd628219c1ca
  4. the download option does not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bluetooth gone like dust

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth gone like dust: I trying to connect now my mouse using Bluetooth but the Bluetooth itself is missing. I restart my laptop and its the same. I have Lenovo device. Im just using it yesterday without problem....
  6. Bluetooth gone like dust

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth gone like dust: I trying to connect now my mouse using Bluetooth but the Bluetooth itself is missing. I restart my laptop and its the same. I have Lenovo device. Im just using it yesterday without problem....
  7. Cleaning Dust of GPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cleaning Dust of GPU: Hey all! So it's been a while since I last cleaned my GPU. I usually very careful use a vacuum cleaner to get the dust out of the fan. I know this isn't the safest option but nothing has happened yet! This time I want to do it with a air compressor to try and clean out all...
  8. how exactly does the notify before download option work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how exactly does the notify before download option work: i have windows 10 pro build 1809. in my windows updates i have the download and install link for build 1903. i dont want to upgrade to build 1903 now because there are still some issues in it as i know the end of life of build 1809 is may 2020 and it will start to nag me to...
  9. Lenovo Dust Fan

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo Dust Fan: where can I find the link to download the Lenovo Dust Fan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-dust-fan/428afc22-b085-47da-9d96-cf512651c504
  10. how often and how to clean out the dust on the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how often and how to clean out the dust on the motherboard?: How often, and how to clean out the dust on the motherboard and other hardware components? 100575