Windows 10: How does the MS RNDIS driver work?

Discus and support How does the MS RNDIS driver work? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently purchased a 4G/LTE USB modem to use on a laptop. It uses the MS generic RNDIS driver. I can also attach my cell phone (in "tether" mode) to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pokeefe0001, May 4, 2021.

1. How does the MS RNDIS driver work?

I recently purchased a 4G/LTE USB modem to use on a laptop. It uses the MS generic RNDIS driver. I can also attach my cell phone (in "tether" mode) to the laptop. That also uses the RNDIS driver. When I connect the USB modem something - and I assume that "something" must be the driver - invokes my default browser (Firefox) and automatically connects to modem's admin/management HTTP server. When I connect the cell phone the browser is not invoked. I don't understand the invocation of the browser. I double checked to make sure it's not an Autoplay/Autorun setting invoking the browser but I have them disabled. (And I don't think Autorun could have set the IP addr anyway.) Would the driver really be built to invoke a browser? The only alternative I can think of is that data from the connection (which looks like Ethernet over USB, I think) could automatically invoke my default browser. I hope that's not possible. BTW, the operating system is Win 10 20H2, but I don't think that matters much.

:)

pokeefe0001, May 4, 2021

2. How does the MS RNDIS driver work?

I recently purchased a 4G/LTE USB modem to use on a laptop. It uses the MS generic RNDIS driver. I can also attach my cell phone (in "tether" mode) to the laptop. That also uses the RNDIS driver.

When I connect the USB modem something - and I assume that "something" must be the driver - invokes my default browser (Firefox) and automatically connects to modem's admin/management HTTP server. When I connect the cell phone the browser is not invoked.

I don't understand the invocation of the browser. I double checked to make sure it's not an Autoplay/Autorun setting invoking the browser but I have them disabled. (And I don't think Autorun could have set the IP addr anyway.)

Would the driver really be built to invoke a browser?
    The only alternative I can think of is that data from the connection (which looks like Ethernet over USB, I think) could automatically invoke my default browser. I hope that's not possible.

BTW, the operating system is Win 10 20H2, but I don't think that matters much.

pokeefe0001, May 5, 2021
  3. RNDIS USB Modem Dongle is not working after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Hi,

Updated 1/31/18:

A fix for this issue was included in the
    January 31, 2018 Windows Update (KB4058258)
    . If you are experiencing this issue, please install the latest Windows Updates.

If the issue continues after installing the update, you may need to uninstall and reinstall your Remote NDIS network adapter using Device Manager:

• Open Device Manager. To do this, press and hold (or right-click) the Start Menu icon and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Network adapters and find an entry for the Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    • Right click Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device and select
      Uninstall device.
    • Select Network adapters and then select Action and then
      Scan for hardware changes.

Note:

• Ensure that the RNDIS device is plugged in on the PC's USB when performing these steps.
    • If the RNDIS device is moved to another USB port, these steps will need to be repeated.

(Original postHow does the MS RNDIS driver work? :)

Microsoft is aware of reports of problems with RNDIS USB network adapters after installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. We are working on the problem and hope to have a solution released in a future Windows Update.
    We will update this thread when the fix is released. Until then, these steps should help you recover your modem functionality:

Notes:

• KB4051963 (OS Build 16299.98) must be installed before performing these steps.
      • To confirm OS build, go to Start > Settings >
        System > About.
      • To install the update, go to Start > Settings >
        Update & security > Windows Update, click
        Check for updates
        , then install any available updates.
    • Ensure that the RNDIS device is plugged in on the PC's USB when performing these steps.
    • If the RNDIS device is moved to another USB port, these steps will need to be repeated.

Step 1: Open Device Manager. To do this, press and hold (or right-click) the Start Menu icon and select Device Manager.

Step 2: Expand Network adapters and find an entry for the
    Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.

Step 3: Right click Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device and select
    Update Driver.

Step 4: Select Browse my computer for driver software.

Step 5: Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers for my computer.

Step 6: Click Have Disk.

Step 7: In the “Copy manufacturer’s files from:” field, enter c:\windows\inf
    and click OK.

Step 8: Uncheck the box for “Show compatible Hardware”.

Step 9: In the left pane, select Microsoft as the manufacturer, and in the right pane, select
    USB RNDIS Adapter as the model. Click Next.

Step 10: You should now receive an “Update Driver Warning”. Select
    Yes to continue installing this driver.

Step 11: Click Close.

Regards.

Jestoni Mac, May 5, 2021
  4. How does the MS RNDIS driver work?

Ethernet/RNDIS Driver

I need Ethernet/RNDIS Driver for Windows versions

DevendarGali, May 5, 2021
Thema:

How does the MS RNDIS driver work?

1. How does the MS RNDIS driver work? - Similar Threads - does RNDIS driver

2. RNDIS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RNDIS: My USB Thering is not working on wifi network. I have trided uninstalling rndis drive changing it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rndis/501224ce-66f7-45db-8929-88071f549496
  3. RNDIS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RNDIS: My USB Thering is not working on wifi network. I have trided uninstalling rndis drive changing it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rndis/501224ce-66f7-45db-8929-88071f549496
  4. RNDIS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. RNDIS driver update with Windows server 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RNDIS driver update with Windows server 2019: Hi I have checked the windows server 2019 update history. Only Intel system for driver update. Does any driver updates on Windows server 2019 OS for RNDIS driver recently? Thanks...
  6. RNDIS driver update with Windows server 2019

RNDIS driver update with Windows server 2019: Hi I have checked the windows server 2019 update history. Only Intel system for driver update. Does any driver updates on Windows server 2019 OS for RNDIS driver recently? Thanks...
  7. how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget: have some raspberry pi zeros, having problem with driversI got driver from here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=usb%5Cvid_0525%26pid_a4a2initially, the raspberry pi was detected as a serial device on com port 7; I was able to update the driver by...
  8. how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget: have some raspberry pi zeros, having problem with driversI got driver from here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=usb%5Cvid_0525%26pid_a4a2initially, the raspberry pi was detected as a serial device on com port 7; I was able to update the driver by...
  9. how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. RNDIS driver windows 10, build 2004

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RNDIS driver windows 10, build 2004: Hi I have been trying to find out whether the RNDIS driver is available in windows 10 build 2004? It was present in earlier builds but seems to be missing from 2004. Does anyone have information about this? /Mark...