Windows 10: how does windows 10 deal with a 2 disk dell computer C:\ Drive & D:\ drive?

Discus and support how does windows 10 deal with a 2 disk dell computer C:\ Drive & D:\ drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5477 A10 (Windows 10 home) to replace a 9 year old Dell Inspiron 9400 (Vista). The new system has a 103 GB SDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PeterHobson2, Mar 17, 2019.

1. how does windows 10 deal with a 2 disk dell computer C:\ Drive & D:\ drive?

I have recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5477 A10 (Windows 10 home) to replace a 9 year old Dell Inspiron 9400 (Vista). The new system has a 103 GB SDD (C:\) & a 931 GB HDD (D:\) After installing the new system, I notice that it has been traditionally installed entirely in drive C:.

What happens when the C:\ drive gets full? Will drive D:\ seamlessly take over?

As the USERS folder is in drive C: every users document, picture, Music etc. folders will be held on that drive.

I have spotted a new option that commands all new items to be selectively stored on drive D:. Is this the Microsoft solution?

:)

PeterHobson2, Mar 17, 2019
  2. Neyrok37 Win User

C and D Drives in Different Hard Disks

I just got a new desktop computer with Windows 10, and its OS is currently in C Drive right now.

The problem is that C Drive is only 111 GB, while D Drive is an empty 930 GB.

I am trying to transfer all files in my old laptop to the new desktop but can't do it because files would stop transferring due to C Drive being out of space.

I tried to extend the volume of C Drive, but couldn't do it because D Drive is for some reason allocated to a different hard disk (see the image below).

how does windows 10 deal with a 2 disk dell computer C:\ Drive & D:\ drive? e445be25-07ab-4fa3-bf2c-f99fe584154b.png

Is there any way to move D Drive from disk 2 to disk 0 so I can move on with transferring my old files?

Neyrok37, Mar 17, 2019
  3. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Mar 17, 2019
  4. Andrei V. Win User

how does windows 10 deal with a 2 disk dell computer C:\ Drive & D:\ drive?

Win 10 Parallel Installation - Win 8.1 in C: Drive & Win 10 in D: Drive

You can do this but it is a little trickier. Here is my advice:

• If I understand correctly, you have 2 partitions at this moment: a drive C were your current windows resides and a drive D, probably with your files (this is also my setup)
    • The first step will be to create a partition for Windows 10 (cut part of drive D). You can do this in disk manager. If you don't know how, please ask and I will give you the details
    • Create a system image of your current Windows
    • Upgrade your current Windows to Windows 10 (you cannot skip this part if you want the free upgrade)
    • Restore your previous Windows to it's current location (partition)
    • Do a clean install of Windows 10 in the partition you reserved in step 2
    Windows 10 will see that you have another windows installation and add it to the boot manager. At this point you will be able to boot both Windows versions

Andrei V., Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

how does windows 10 deal with a 2 disk dell computer C:\ Drive & D:\ drive?

1. how does windows 10 deal with a 2 disk dell computer C:\ Drive & D:\ drive? - Similar Threads - does deal disk

2. C: and D: drive/Disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: and D: drive/Disk management: Hi, I am having problems with my C: and D: drives. I know little about computers, and I've been trying to solve this on my own for 2 days now. I want to merge C: drive 222 GB using D: drive 1.81 TB, but the problem is that C: is on Disk 1 while D: is on Disk 0. I don't think...
  3. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  4. Importing D Drive into C Drive -- Disk Management

Importing D Drive into C Drive -- Disk Management: Greetings Folks, Dang I tried to answer this without bothering you. Watched a bunch of YouTube vids but no one had my situation. [img] This PC shipped with a D drive partition on the C drive. I turned it into unallocated space but when I right click my C to import that...
  5. C drive and D drive

C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  6. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  7. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  8. Disk Drive D

Disk Drive D: Drive (D:) is low on memory space . How do I free up storage space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-drive-d/2f745c9e-c99d-4bea-a2c9-ba8647dc4e85
  9. Disk Drive D

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Drive D: I keep getting a message on my computer that local disk drive D is full however It doesn't show anything to get rid of in that disk drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/disk-drive-d/acf134eb-bb3f-4828-857c-02b6e81e6825
  10. Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive?: Hello, Relatively new to Windows 10. Why does Windows 10 partition the hard drive into a C and D drive? As purchased, my Windows 10 machine has split my 2TB drive split into C and D. The C drive is much smaller than the D drive (At work otherwise I would supply the...