Windows 10: How does Windows 10 know if an application is from a verified publisher digital certificate...

Discus and support How does Windows 10 know if an application is from a verified publisher digital certificate... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a VM and it has Windows 10 LTSC fresh install always offline without any updates, so last update is late 2018. I downloaded an application and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by adrianarke, Jan 27, 2021.

1. How does Windows 10 know if an application is from a verified publisher digital certificate...

I have a VM and it has Windows 10 LTSC fresh install always offline without any updates, so last update is late 2018. I downloaded an application and checked inside the Windows 10 VM and somehow Windows knows it has a digital certificate timestamped from 2020 to 2024? how does it know since its offline and never been updated? also does this mean that the .exe i downloaded is 100% safe and not tampered with since it has a verified publisher status in windows?

:)

adrianarke, Jan 27, 2021

2. what are the necessary digital certificates for windows 10 ?

Hi , does anyone know what are the necessary (real necessity) digital certificates in the Root CA and Intermediate CA for windows 10 ? i have a new windows 10 machine, and there is a full list of digital certificates inside. Most of them are not intuitive
    (it just says "for application" ) -> i would like to remove, most, if not all of them in the RCA and ICA list.

if any Microsoft support is reading this , is there a detailed write-up and documentation , on what each cert does, and why is it necessary ?

puzzled123_456, Jan 27, 2021
  3. Ram_482 Win User
    Unknown Publisher when trying the installer(exe/msi) on windows 10

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 and have build "Installers(msi/exe)" using "Setup Wizard".

When i'm running the set.exe installer, the application "publisher" is being reported as "Unknown".

I've gone through some references and found that the setup.exe needs to be digitally signed with the certificate. So,

i have followed below steps to add digital signature to the setup.exe

1. Create Digital certificate (https://knowledge.digicert.com/solution/SO26065.html)

2. Using signtool i have digitally signed setup.exe

signtool.exe sign /f "E:\sample.pfx" /p "sample@123" /tr
    Time Stamp Server & Stamping Protocols | Sectigo® Official /v "E:\setup.exeWhen
    i try to run setup.exe locally, the application "publisher" is reported as "localhost" instead of "Unknown", but if i

run the same setup.exe on another system application "publisher" is reported as "Unknown"Please provide any suggestions on fixing this "Unknown
    Publisher" issue

Ram_482, Jan 27, 2021
  4. BulldogXX Win User

How does Windows 10 know if an application is from a verified publisher digital certificate...

Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'

A little background might help.

Before you run a program, it's very important to be sure that the program is actually what it claims to be. For example: Just because a file
    calls itself Winword.exe, how do you know it really is Microsoft Word?

Software developers vouch for their identity by obtaining a digital certificate, which is a proof of identity not unlike a passport or a driver's license. Digital certificates are issued by trustworthy organizations called certificate authorities.

Most people wouldn't begin to know (and why should they) how to check whether a program they want to run has a valid digital certificate, so the operating system does that for you by consulting the list of known and accepted certificate authorities included
    in the operating system.

So here's what happened: Windows won't open your program because the certificate authority (the 'publisher') is not, or is no longer, on the list of known and accepted certificate authorities. The publisher might have been known and accepted in an earlier
    list of certificate authorities, but the lists are updated frequently. The April 2018 update, or another update, revised the list of known publishers, and the publisher for your program ain't no longer on it.

None of this was invented by Microsoft, who is simply complying with internationally accepted standards for safe computing.

You're seeing the message because Windows can no longer guarantee that the program is safe to use.

BulldogXX, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

How does Windows 10 know if an application is from a verified publisher digital certificate...

1. How does Windows 10 know if an application is from a verified publisher digital certificate... - Similar Threads - does application verified

2. Does Kerberos S4U with a certificate verify the certificate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Kerberos S4U with a certificate verify the certificate: We are attempting verify an Active Directory machine account, using Kerberos S4U with a Certificate.The client sends the public part of a provisioned certificate to a remote server. The server then attempts to locate the machine account using Kerberos S4U with the public...
  3. Does Kerberos S4U with a certificate verify the certificate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Kerberos S4U with a certificate verify the certificate: We are attempting verify an Active Directory machine account, using Kerberos S4U with a Certificate.The client sends the public part of a provisioned certificate to a remote server. The server then attempts to locate the machine account using Kerberos S4U with the public...
  4. Windows does not have enough information to verify this Certificate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows does not have enough information to verify this Certificate: Hi, As posted in above screenshot I am getting these certificate errors when opening Applications. Kindly provide me a solution for this.Thank You...
  5. Need Help Getting My Application Verified Publisher

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help Getting My Application Verified Publisher: Hello,I Just Created An Application [ VPN ] Native WinForms C# For Windows.When I Run It , It Shows Publisher : Unverified.How Do I Get My Application Publisher As Verified To Avoid The Popups...
  6. Need Help Getting My Application Verified Publisher

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need Help Getting My Application Verified Publisher: Hello,I Just Created An Application [ VPN ] Native WinForms C# For Windows.When I Run It , It Shows Publisher : Unverified.How Do I Get My Application Publisher As Verified To Avoid The Popups...
  7. Need Help Getting My Application Verified Publisher

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows does not have enough information to verify this certificate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows does not have enough information to verify this certificate: Hi Microsoft Team, There are 3 laptops in the house and 2 of them and all mobiles phone are all working fine with the wifi routers. No issues in connecting to the internet with these devices. Only one of the laptop shows this message "Windows does not have enough...
  9. How verifyed publisher status makes an application safe?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How verifyed publisher status makes an application safe?: I've seen a post where someb****on because it had "Verified publisher" line in the installation prompt. But does it makes it trustworthy, h****t? And by the way I've seen infothat Classic Shell isn't that safe....
  10. How to know "what" driver is trying to be installed in the "Can't verify publisher" windows...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to know "what" driver is trying to be installed in the "Can't verify publisher" windows...: When I reboot, I always get a "Windows Security" popup indicating that windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software. But, I can't find any indication of "what" driver is being referred to. All the help I can find assuming you already know what is trying to be...