Windows 10: How does windows 10 update work

Discus and support How does windows 10 update work in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have used computers before Bill Gates was born but I have trouble working out how updates work. I am not a 24/7 user and do not leave my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RonN, May 14, 2018.

1. RonN Win User

How does windows 10 update work

I have used computers before Bill Gates was born but I have trouble working out how updates work.
    I am not a 24/7 user and do not leave my computer turned on.
    So I use windows update stop and start. Once I have finished my normal work I turn updates back on and open Windows Update and "check for updates".
    It seems that "getting ready for updates" "preparing to download" "downloading" takes some considerable time.
    Glasswire indicates burst of download at my max download speed.
    Then we get "preparing to install" "installing" and then "checking for updates"
    Finally up comes "Set restart time".
    I disconnect from internet and click restart.
    We go through all the many restarts and hopefully OK.
    1803 Took two hours after the download was finished. Intel Core I5.
    I know friends who do not stop updates and close the laptop (? Sleep or Hibernate) and all seems to work.
    But do they have to leave the machine powered? What if the battery runs out?
    Can W10 restart a sleeping machine? I think not.
    I would really like some proper description of W10 update operations!
    I am not stupid but I like to know what my machine is doing!

:)

2. Computer does not work after Windows 10 update

How could you access Task Manager and msconfig if the computer still "does not work?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's too late to rollback to your previous Windows version now, so see...

PA Bear - MS MVP, May 16, 2018
  3. How does windows 10 update

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

New features and a better running PC—get all of this and more when you download updates to Windows.

And the great news is that you don’t have to do anything, because updates will be automatically downloaded and installed whenever they’re available. (Unless you’re on a metered connection, in which case the updates won’t download until you opt to get them.)

But every now and then your PC may need to restart to install the updates. To prevent those restarts from happening at the most inconvenient time:

• Select the Start
      How does windows 10 update work [​IMG]
      button, select
      Settings > Update & security >
      Windows Update
      , and then select Advanced options.

• How does windows 10 update work [​IMG]
    [*]

• Under Choose how updates are installed, use the drop-down menu to choose an option:

• Schedule a restart

• Automatically restart
    Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-choose-how-updates-are-installed

Joy Kemprai, May 16, 2018
Thema:

How does windows 10 update work

1. How does windows 10 update work - Similar Threads - does update

2. Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m: Occasionally I have this issue, where my Right-Hand Display Monitor does not come back on/wake up, with the Laptop and other Display Screen, as it should. This issue turned into happening now each time I have to wake up my computer, after updating the screen sleep settings......
  3. Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m: Occasionally I have this issue, where my Right-Hand Display Monitor does not come back on/wake up, with the Laptop and other Display Screen, as it should. This issue turned into happening now each time I have to wake up my computer, after updating the screen sleep settings......
  4. Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?: Hi,i had a large copy job running, copying data from my local disc to a server via SMB. Over night "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe", which i believe is part of Windows Update, restarted the machine, aborting my copy job, and leaving me with a bunch of missing or unfinished files on the...
  5. Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?

Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?: Hi,i had a large copy job running, copying data from my local disc to a server via SMB. Over night "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe", which i believe is part of Windows Update, restarted the machine, aborting my copy job, and leaving me with a bunch of missing or unfinished files on the...
  6. Windows Update KB5036893 does not install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update KB5036893 does not install: Split from this thread. I've done so many restarts over the past few weeks for this one update KB5036893 and it won't install. It downloads just fine, but always fails on the required reboot and has to revert itself. After a long wait. Last night, Windows got so desperate to...
  7. Windows Update KB5036893 does not install

Windows Update KB5036893 does not install: Split from this thread. I've done so many restarts over the past few weeks for this one update KB5036893 and it won't install. It downloads just fine, but always fails on the required reboot and has to revert itself. After a long wait. Last night, Windows got so desperate to...
  8. Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.: Already tried to go in GPedit.msc and disable the hide settings option. Tried DSIM and SFC. Restarted a few times. Happened randomly. tried to go into Windows update using the start menu. Restarted Windows update service a few times.System Information-Windows insider. build...
  9. Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.

Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.: Already tried to go in GPedit.msc and disable the hide settings option. Tried DSIM and SFC. Restarted a few times. Happened randomly. tried to go into Windows update using the start menu. Restarted Windows update service a few times.System Information-Windows insider. build...
  10. ‎W11 File Explorer over network Date Modified does not update, must click refresh‎

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ‎W11 File Explorer over network Date Modified does not update, must click refresh‎: In Windows 11, 23H2 and 22H2, if a user has file explorer open to a network location, sorted by Date Modified, opens an older office file Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., modifies that file, and saves, file explorer will not update to show the updated modified date and new sort...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how does windows 10 update work

2. how does windows 10 update version numbering work

3. how does update work in winsdows 10