Windows 10: How Does Windows 10 Upgrade Work?

Discus and support How Does Windows 10 Upgrade Work? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded from an OEM installation of Windows 7 SP1, my Product ID was changed from OEM to a number, that is instead of #####-OEM-#####-#####, it now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Chris2005 Win User

How Does Windows 10 Upgrade Work?

I upgraded from an OEM installation of Windows 7 SP1, my Product ID was changed from OEM to a number, that is instead of #####-OEM-#####-#####, it now goes #####-#####-#####-##### and I now have a completely different product key.... can someone explain this to me?

When I type slmgr /dlv in the Command Prompt, it tells me that my Product Key Channel is Retail... but I upgraded from an OEM installation of Windows 7.

Someone told me they used their Windows 7 product key and it activated Windows 10...

I have build 10240, as the watermark is gone, etc. However, what do the numbers following the decimal place mean?

My full build is: 10.0.10240.16384.

Not sure if this is in the right forum since it covers a number of bases.

:)

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Missing Operating System after Windows 10 download

Is there anywhere to download replacement OS for Windows 7 Home Premium? Mine crashed on Windows 10 upgrade.

Windows 10 upgrade frustration, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Chris2005 Win User
    So why is the product key for my Windows 10 installation different? This is what confuses me.

Is the product key different for everyone?

The last section I know about. *Smile

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Think of it more like a product ID since you won't have a Windows 10 key with the free offer.

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Chris2005 Win User
    I'm just making sure my upgrade was done right, as I used the Media Creation tool to upgrade rather than Windows Update...

I assumed the Windows 7 and/or 8.1 license was getting transferred to Windows 10, so that the PID, etc. would be the same.

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yep, you did it correctly. When you upgrade to the free offer on an activated 7 or 8.1, it will auto activate the free Windows 10.

The key the program shows wouldn't be the same as your 7/8.1 key, but it's also not a key that you can use to activate the free Windows 10 with.

You will now be able to clean install the same Windows 10 edition on that PC and have it activated without entering a product key. *Smile

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  9. Chris2005 Win User
    Awesome.

So, how did that individual supposedly use their old product key to activate Windows 10?

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    They don't. Activation of the free offer is tied to PC. Microsoft activation servers will detect the PC as registered with the free Windows 10, and will activate it when you clean install and click on skip instead of entering a key.

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Chris2005 Win User
    No, I mean, they claimed that they did a clean install of Windows 10 using their current Windows Product Key and it activated. I think it's a little sketchy though.

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I can't imagine that being true either. It would give an invalid key error.

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  13. scott784 Win User

I am confused. I reserved the Win10 upgrade. And of course I am still in the upgrade queue since I clicked on the little Windows icon weeks ago.

But a couple of things I've gathered this evening from reading. First, it appears people can skip the queue all together by following instructions to force Windows Update to download the entire ISO all at one time. There are links online that explain how to do that using the cmd prompt.

Second, it appears people can simply clean install a fresh copy of Win10 from the USB media creation tool (without even doing an in place upgrade first). And if that is the case, why wait in the queue or even try to force Windows Update to complete the download? And if I am able to use the USB media to go straight from 7 to 10....does the installation automatically see that I have Win7 and continue with the installation with me just hitting the skip button (the first go around)....or would I need to enter my Win7 Home product key?

I am in the process right now (I think) of creating the installable Win10 using that creation tool. So it appears I can simply use this to go straight from my Win7 Home install to a clean Win10 install. Is that right? I don't want to mess anything up as far as the upgrade process and just want to be sure about this!

Thanks.

Update: the media creation tool just finished and I have just over 3GB on by USB. I just tested it and I am able to boot the the USB to install Win10. But I backed out of it awaiting answers.

scott784, Jul 29, 2015
  14. Chris2005 Win User
    You HAVE to upgrade first, or the free upgrade offer won't stick... after you upgrade, you can then perform a clean install, from my understanding.

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
  15. scott784 Win User
    So from your comments, do I need to recreate another USB install media, this time selecting upgrade? And I am still confused why people would wait in the queue since that ISO is already published for download.

Is the upgrade queue perhaps intended for folks that don't want to mess with USB or DVD install media? You know, people that are not comfortable installing Windows? And just want a simple click of the button upgrade?

I am completely comfortable reinstalling Windows and have done it many times in years past. I also (always) prefer a clean install. But I am just confused with this whole upgrade thing as it relates to the options MS is allowing to activate Win10 from people (like myself) that are currently on a licensed version of Win7.

scott784, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. How Does Windows 10 Upgrade Work? - Similar Threads - Does Upgrade

2. Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?: Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am not too savvy with CPU stuff. All I know is that a requirement to download 11 is SSE4.2, which I have but I am still worried I am missing something...
  3. Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?: Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am not too savvy with CPU stuff. All I know is that a requirement to download 11 is SSE4.2, which I have but I am still worried I am missing something...
  4. Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 Home, the screen does not resume from sleep after the last upgrade. At the same...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home, the screen does not resume from sleep after the last upgrade. At the same...: Windows 11 Home, the screen does not resume from sleep after the last upgrade. At the same time, the laptop still works normally in the background. I have to use a hard reset....
  6. Windows 11 Home, the screen does not resume from sleep after the last upgrade. At the same...

Windows 11 Home, the screen does not resume from sleep after the last upgrade. At the same...: Windows 11 Home, the screen does not resume from sleep after the last upgrade. At the same time, the laptop still works normally in the background. I have to use a hard reset....
  7. Does everybody feel as if "upgrading" to Win11 has been the biggest digital mistake of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does everybody feel as if "upgrading" to Win11 has been the biggest digital mistake of...: I can't take it, I tried. I shut up and sucked it up for 4 months now and absolutely have to go back to win10. I plan to instal Linux on a laptop and deciede at D-Day which direction to go. Win11 is not even in that running, it's a choice between Linux and bareback no Support...
  8. Does everybody feel as if "upgrading" to Win11 has been the biggest digital mistake of...

Does everybody feel as if "upgrading" to Win11 has been the biggest digital mistake of...: I can't take it, I tried. I shut up and sucked it up for 4 months now and absolutely have to go back to win10. I plan to instal Linux on a laptop and deciede at D-Day which direction to go. Win11 is not even in that running, it's a choice between Linux and bareback no Support...
  9. why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?: There are multiple errors that prevent upgrade to Windows 11.It seems many users are stuck with various problems such as 0x80070643 etc.Looking through the communities posts is like watching people play the game Myst with clues that just lead to other problems.Have yet to...
  10. why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?

why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?: There are multiple errors that prevent upgrade to Windows 11.It seems many users are stuck with various problems such as 0x80070643 etc.Looking through the communities posts is like watching people play the game Myst with clues that just lead to other problems.Have yet to...