Windows 10: How does Windows Backup work?

Discus and support How does Windows Backup work? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there! I recently bought a new computer and want to learn about- and use the windows backup feature. Ive read somewhere that when using this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Slowandlow, Jan 3, 2019.

1. How does Windows Backup work?

Hi there!

I recently bought a new computer and want to learn about- and use the windows backup feature. Ive read somewhere that when using this feature, by default everything in the folder "Users" will automatically be back upped, is that correct?

When I insert an USB device and start the backup procedure, what does actually happen? Does the windows backup feature backup (i.e. copy) all of the actual files onto the USB- device, or does it "only" make a backup mirror that produces some compressed files on the USB device that needs special programs to be opened?

I would like the backup feature to produce copies of all the actual files in the folders, so that I can take the USB device and get access to all files in any other computer, no matter of the original backup feature or not.

Further, after having made my first (complete) backup onto my USB device, does the following backups only backup the newly made/ most recent changed files (added text, added pictures and so) onto the existing backup, or will it start from all over again?

How much space will the backup feature use? If the folder "Users" for example is 50 GB, will the backup file o
    in the USB device be of the exact same size? And what happens when the USB device (for example 128 GB) eventually run out of space? Can I continue on another USB- device, or do I have to make a completely new version of my backup onto a new USB device (in that case it needs to be larger than the first one) ?

(I read somewhere that the Backup- feature will only work with one and the same external device, hence the last question).

Thank you for your attention!

BRG/ Örjan

:)

Slowandlow, Jan 3, 2019
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jan 3, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

How does Windows Backup work?

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

How does Windows Backup work?

1. How does Windows Backup work? - Similar Threads - does Backup

2. Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...: Hello Windows and Microsoft friends.My Windows 11 Pro 23H2 build internal drive's capacity is 500GB but only about 260GB's filled up. The USB external drive is 500GB and is set to do the backup up, using the 'Backup and Restore Windows 7' feature, once a week. Whenever I...
  3. Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...: Hello Windows and Microsoft friends.My Windows 11 Pro 23H2 build internal drive's capacity is 500GB but only about 260GB's filled up. The USB external drive is 500GB and is set to do the backup up, using the 'Backup and Restore Windows 7' feature, once a week. Whenever I...
  4. I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a...: I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a windows 11 restoration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-restore-my-microsoft-money-backup-it-does/7529be63-c1d3-40ca-b7cd-fa0fe340649d
  5. I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a...

I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a...: I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a windows 11 restoration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-restore-my-microsoft-money-backup-it-does/7529be63-c1d3-40ca-b7cd-fa0fe340649d
  6. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...
  7. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...
  8. Please recommend a Backup software that does the following! Thank you!

Please recommend a Backup software that does the following! Thank you!: Hello everyone, I'm a bit desperate at this point and I need your help! For the past week I've been testing backup software and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Ironically, I thought my needs were the bare minimum in what a backup software does. Please recommend a...
  9. win 11 where does phone link save messages on pc for me to save backup

win 11 where does phone link save messages on pc for me to save backup: Since now my messages are on phone link on my PCWhere are these saved on my PC.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-11-where-does-phone-link-save-messages-on-pc/8ad0f8ca-c16a-4a67-8441-5556817c8bec
  10. win 11 where does phone link save messages on pc for me to save backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 where does phone link save messages on pc for me to save backup: Since now my messages are on phone link on my PCWhere are these saved on my PC.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-11-where-does-phone-link-save-messages-on-pc/8ad0f8ca-c16a-4a67-8441-5556817c8bec

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how does windows backup work