Windows 10: How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

Discus and support How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi,I need to determine which area to look at. I.e. exactly how does Windows configure itself to restart to the chosen advanced recovery option? I'd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Sep 24, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

Hi,I need to determine which area to look at. I.e. exactly how does Windows configure itself to restart to the chosen advanced recovery option?

I'd be happy to compare the results of running any command with that of a correctly functioning system.

Symptoms
    None of my advanced recovery options (restart to Safe Mode, command prompt, startup repair, system restore) have worked since upgrading to the Creator's build. They were ok in the Anniversary build. The upgrade went smoothly.

After trying various repairs, which made things worse rather than better, I've got back to where I was.

My PC boots normally.
    When my PC restarts to Safe Mode, I see my PC logo and 'Please wait'.
    When it restarts to other options, I just see my PC logo, nothing more. It just hangs.

There's no error message nor easily defined symptom to search for that I can think of.

(See this and particularly my last post if interested - the end result is I'm back where I started, having learnt a bit!)
    Creator's upgrade appeared ok, but Advanced Recovery functions fail - Windows 10 Forums)

:)

dalchina, Sep 24, 2017

2. Computer shut down after BIOS boot.

kb4041676 likely caused it. See instructions how to uninstall that update:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-outlines-...

Here is how you boot the recovery environment open command prompt:

Power on and off your computer three times

On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

Click Advanced Options

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced Options

Click Command prompt, then follow the instructions in that article

Andre Da Costa, Sep 24, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

Hi yademokitu, your files and apps are intact . . .

What has happened is the boot configuration files has become corrupt and Windows does not know how to start!

Start your PC, just as the manufacturers logo disappears and Windows attempts to load, press and hold Power Button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a Hard Shut Down

Do this twice

On the third start Windows will boot into the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Please try each option one at a time, then see of Windows will boot . . .

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Command Prompt

Run these commands one at a time:

bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /FixBoot

bootrec /ScanOs

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Then reboot your System to see if Windows will boot . . .

If the commands will not run from the Windows Recovery Environment, you will need to run them by booting from Windows Installation Media . . .

Insert your Installation Media and boot from it

Do not Install Windows 10, instead click 'Repair this Computer'

The repair will fail, then click Advanced Options

Open Command Prompt and run the above commands one at a time:

Then reboot your System to see if Windows will boot . . .

DaveM121, Sep 24, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

If you are on the desktop and want to reboot to the Windows advanced troubleshooting options that can be done with administrative command prompt. It will reboot to:

Choose an option with these 3 options:

Continue: Exit and continue to Windows 10
    Troubleshoot: Reset your PC or see advanced options
    Turn off your PC

Administrative command prompt: shutdown /r /o /f /t 00

zbook, Sep 24, 2017
  5. Or depending on your profile, you can use this:
    Code: bcdedit /set {default} advancedoptions True bcdedit /set {current} advancedoptions True[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Sep 24, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks to both. Resetting my PC isn't a realistic option as that would remove all programs. A huge job to recover. (Note I tried an in-place repair install as in the thread I quoted).

I've tried

bcdedit /set {current} advancedoptions True
    and indeed that does give me a set of options each time on boot, including booting to Safe Mode, which works.

Now, I'm therefore guessing that what is not happening when, from normal mode, for example I SHIFT +left click restart, then select one of the advanced recovery options, is that the bcd is not being written correctly to achieve the above.

Clearly doing that does affect the boot, as my PC does not then boot normally, but hangs as I described.

Any clues as to how to investigate further?

Presently:
    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume6
    path \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-us
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {current}
    resumeobject {ea28bca1-a098-11e7-8bcb-a434d962e85a}
    displayorder {current}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \windows\system32\winload.efi
    description Windows 10
    locale en-us
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {ea28bca3-a098-11e7-8bcb-a434d962e85a}
    displaymessageoverride CommandPrompt
    recoveryenabled Yes
    advancedoptions Yes
    isolatedcontext Yes
    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \windows
    resumeobject {ea28bca1-a098-11e7-8bcb-a434d962e85a}
    nx OptIn
    bootmenupolicy Standard

C:\windows\system32>

dalchina, Sep 24, 2017
  7. TairikuOkami, Sep 24, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

There was 1 error code in this link:
    Creator's upgrade appeared ok, but Advanced Recovery functions fail - Windows 10 Forums

Many times the error codes lead to links where others have already troubleshooted.

In case it's been a while since that's been done these are the links that were just found:

0xC0000454 Microsoft code definition:
    STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_NVRAM_RESOURCES
    Insufficient NVRAM resources exist to complete the API. A reboot might be required.

These were some search results for: 0xC0000454

Macrium has a support and perhaps a submission there may yield something?
    One of their links was in the search results:
    No Luck with Fixing Boot Problems via Macrium PE

0xc0000454 Starting Problem - Microsoft Community

How to Fix Boot Configuration Error Code 0xc0000454 on Windows 10?

Help! error 0xc0000454 : Windows10

Repair Windows boot (Windows XP to Windows 10)

How can I repair the Windows 8 EFI Bootloader? - Super User

Maybe a search for Insufficient NVRAM resources exist to complete the API may yield something?

zbook, Sep 24, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi @zbook - yes, there was that error number- then- however, after the changes detailed in that thread and above, SHIFT click restart from the Safe Mode login screen now behaves in exactly the same way as from Normal Mode- the Advanced Options hang with no error report.

- from one thread you quote- I don't see either error now. (I did try reading about that at the time of course).

@TairikuOkami
    - This laptop was working fine for some 18 months before the Creator's upgrade, and advanced startup options were no problem.

However, perhaps one way forward now is simply to work with what I have now, where at least I can boot to the various options by manual selection, and hope that come the next build upgrade the problem will disappear.

Which still leaves me puzzled as to why selecting an advanced startup option in the normal way leaves me with a hung boot until I power off and restart.

I'll read through the links and see if there's any clue. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    Is this perhaps another example of poor software QA by Microsoft?

Steve C, Sep 25, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    There is a virtually infinite range of hardware and software combinations. No QA procedure could check everything or else nothing would ever released.

cereberus, Sep 25, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    It seems something went wrong in the original upgrade- as to what is impossible to say. It's a problem that doesn't seem amenable to being repaired; the bcd data doesn't seem to be updated appropriately when I click one of the advanced startup commands to cause the correct form of restart.

The odd thing is something is updated enough to cause the boot to hang once, until I power off. If I knew why that was, there might be a clue.

Of course, there are no diagnostic tools one could use during this sequence, which I wish I understood better. It seems the partitions are ok, but the earlier error messages (could not write bcd data e.g.) may have been misleading.

(And I agree with @cereberus this is probably not a QA issue, bar the questionable appropriateness of the error messages- a common problem with MS).

dalchina, Sep 25, 2017
  13. Steve C Win User

Does the command bcdedit /export <yourfilename> work for you? If not, you might have a problem similar to one I experienced. I'll post more details if that command fails.

Steve C, Sep 25, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks, that works ok...

dalchina, Sep 25, 2017
  15. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Sep 25, 2017
Thema:

1. How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt? - Similar Threads - does boot advanced

2. No Command Prompt in Advanced Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Command Prompt in Advanced Startup: Hi, I tried to recover my password in advanced startup on my HP laptop Windows 11 but unfortunately, I can't find the command prompt when I go in to troubleshoot I see only the start-up settings and UEFI firmware I can't find the command prompt please help thanks by the way I...
  3. No Command Prompt in Advanced Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Command Prompt in Advanced Startup: Hi, I tried to recover my password in advanced startup on my HP laptop Windows 11 but unfortunately, I can't find the command prompt when I go in to troubleshoot I see only the start-up settings and UEFI firmware I can't find the command prompt please help thanks by the way I...
  4. How can i boot into advanced recovery options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i boot into advanced recovery options: I've been having this "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" problem for 2 days now it says "tcpip.sys" is what failed i know i have to go into advanced recovery options to fix this but the problem is that i can't get into advanced recovery options i tried shutting the pc down...
  5. How can i boot into advanced recovery options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i boot into advanced recovery options: I've been having this "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" problem for 2 days now it says "tcpip.sys" is what failed i know i have to go into advanced recovery options to fix this but the problem is that i can't get into advanced recovery options i tried shutting the pc down...
  6. Administrator account disabled and Command prompt missing in advanced option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator account disabled and Command prompt missing in advanced option: Dear Microsoft, I'm facing a problem that is actually bad .I can't login to my administrator account cuz it's disabled + Command Prompt missing in Advanced Option... Please reply...
  7. Administrator account disabled and Command prompt missing in advanced option

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Administrator account disabled and Command prompt missing in advanced option: Dear Microsoft, I'm facing a problem that is actually bad .I can't login to my administrator account cuz it's disabled + Command Prompt missing in Advanced Option... Please reply...
  8. Advanced Options Command Prompt Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Options Command Prompt Problem: Ok so I set a net user <username> /time command and I need to remove the command in advanced options command prompt. When the try to execute the command net user <username> /time:all. It returns username not found. I am confused about what is going wrong submitted by...
  9. Stuck in command prompt loop of advanced recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in command prompt loop of advanced recovery: Hello All, I tried to boot in safe mode. At login screen 1. Power -> Shift+restart 2. Troubleshoot 3. Advanced options 4. here i was supposed to select STARTUP SETTINGS, but i selected COMMAND PROMPT by mistake. Now it is asking for an admin account password ad...
  10. Not able to see Command prompt in Advance options after Restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to see Command prompt in Advance options after Restart: I am not able to see Command prompt in Advance options after Restart, i want run a script in Windows RE through that to fix my software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-see-command-prompt-in-advance-options/d9e1a5dd-83b3-4599-aa0d-d1672faa1f36