Windows 10: How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically?

Discus and support How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So there are lots of unicode characters that Windows will allow you to use in your file and folder names. However, how does Windows determine how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnTravolski, Dec 1, 2018.

1. How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically?

So there are lots of unicode characters that Windows will allow you to use in your file and folder names. However, how does Windows determine how they're sorted? Take the following example of a huge number of folders named with different characters:

How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically? [​IMG]

How exactly is Windows deciding how to sort these? It seems arbitrary to me. Can anybody tell me exactly what Windows is doing here?

:)

JohnTravolski, Dec 1, 2018

2. Favourites Folders -alphabetical sorting within each Folder

Hi Neil,

Let me provide you now the steps on how to to sort your folders in alphabetical order.

This method will allow you to arrange your favorites by alphabetical or by their numbers.

Here are the steps:

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click on Favorites.
    • Right-click on Favorites Bar.
    • Right-click on the Favorites folder.
    • Click on Sort by, then select Name and
      Ascending

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Sort Photo Gallery photos alphabetically

Hi Leslie,

Below are the steps on how you can sort your photos alphabetically in
    Photo Gallery
    :

1. Press Alt+V on your keyboard.

2. Under Arrange list, click on Name.

Additionally, you can also check the steps provided by Christian_Co on
    November 17, 2012 on this
    Link
    for other sorting options:

Cheers.

Freddrick Pal, Dec 1, 2018
  4. Edwin Win User

How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically?

Is it possible sort the start menu tiles alphabetically?

Apparently not, the option is so freaking quirky!
    I have to set them in the preferred order manually as well.
    Suggest: create a List folder of your own as per screenshot (left side)

How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically? [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically?

1. How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically? - Similar Threads - Does Sort Alphabetically

2. New Alphabetic Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Alphabetic Sorting: Sorted by name my files in name sort are now coming up in groups such as:0-9 1A-H 10Is there any way of just showing them like they used to be, all in one continuous list?Many thanks for nay help....
  3. New Alphabetic Sorting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Alphabetic Sorting: Sorted by name my files in name sort are now coming up in groups such as:0-9 1A-H 10Is there any way of just showing them like they used to be, all in one continuous list?Many thanks for nay help....
  4. New Alphabetic Sorting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Alphabetical sort of regional characters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alphabetical sort of regional characters: I have a problem in Excel, which I think originates from Windows. I need to sort a list which is "numbered" with two letters. So it means that "aa." should appear as the first item, "ab." as the second, "ac." as the third etc. Before this used to work fine, - but for some...
  6. Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??: [ATTACH] I have my game shortcuts all in one folder, and when it comes to games with sequels or expansions, the sequels are always listed before the original. I would imagine that in the case of Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite, they would be in that order. But...
  7. How do I sort favorites in alphabetical order?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I sort favorites in alphabetical order?: It appears that the new version of Microsoft Edge does not support the option of sorting favorites in alphabetical order. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-sort-favorites-in-alphabetical-order/5eb48b71-063b-4c06-a91e-9d77f54d8ca3
  8. DOES WORDPAD SORT ALPHABETICALLY?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DOES WORDPAD SORT ALPHABETICALLY?: DOES WORDPAD SORT ALPHABETICALLY? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-wordpad-sort-alphabetically/e163ac1e-8269-4faf-a736-1d400d235f93"
  9. How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?: . In my normal user account, I sort desktop icons by name. It's clear that there are actually two groups of icons. The first group (after Recycle bin) starts with CCleaner and ends with VLC Media Player. These are the same icons that I see in my Administrator acccount....
  10. sorting Quick Access alphabetic

in Windows 10 Support
    sorting Quick Access alphabetic: hey guys, we all (i think) use Quick Access infile explorer, right? Is there a possibility to sort the files in Quick Access alphabetic? thanks Jeff 26960

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows symbol alphabetical order

2. will windows10 alphabetize a list of files in a folder

3. How do I sort files alphabetically

4. organizing favorites in alphabetical order,
  5. alphabetzing i windows 10,
  6. how to sort favorites in edge alphabetically,
  7. how to alphabetize favorites in windows 10,
  8. How to put favorites files in alphaetical order on windows 7