Windows 10: How extract files from nested folders - is there an app?

Discus and support How extract files from nested folders - is there an app? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have one primary folder and, under it, are nested folders - perhaps 3 to 5 deep. Is there an easy way to extract the files so that I end up with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Nisko Win User

How extract files from nested folders - is there an app?

I have one primary folder and, under it, are nested folders - perhaps 3 to 5 deep. Is there an easy way to extract the files so that I end up with the primary folder and no subfolders - just all the files?

:)

Nisko, Feb 10, 2018

2. "file name too long"

Generally speaking there is a 256 character limit to the entire path file name. Usually "too long" errors result from deeply nested folders.

There is a work around but frankly it is more complicated than un-nesting the folders.

I would Google 256 character path limit workaround

Care to tell us more about the issue?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 10, 2018
  3. smball Win User
    Deleting a folder no longer closes an open window

Using the option to open each folder in its own window in Win 7, when you deleted a folder any open windows of that folder automatically closed. In Win 10 they now just back up a level and stay open. I've looked through the folder options and can't find
    anything pertaining to this feature being changed and would like to go back to the old way. After extracting a bunch of rar or zip files into one folder and then pulling out their contents (usually in nested folders) to where they need to go, I delete the
    rars, zips, and leftover empty folders and now have a bunch of windows all open to the same folder. In the old way I'd have one folder still open that I deleted the others from.

smball, Feb 10, 2018
  4. How extract files from nested folders - is there an app?

If it's a one-time thing you can go to the primary folder and enter "*" in the search box. That will bring up all the files and folders under the primary. Then you can select just the files and cut+paste them.

If you need to do this regularly then you can write a batch file/script. Something like
    Code: C:\temp>cd primary C:\temp\primary>for /f "tokens=*" %X in ('dir /b /s /a:d') do copy "%X" .[/quote] (adapted from for /d - Loop through directory - Windows CMD - SS64.com )

PolarNettles, Feb 10, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
    Nisko,

I use this batch file. I call it FlatFileCopierToDesktop.bat but you can call it whatever you want.

Code: :: Put this batch file in the highest level folder of the set you want to work through, it will copy all the files to a folder of your choice :: Put in your chosen target folder in place of my D:\Desktop\FlatFileCopies. Choosing a target folder that the batch file has to make is merely how I use this - you could use an existing folder and ditch the line beginning md ... :: If you want only certain files, replace (*) with (*.txt) or similar Set TargetFolder=D:\Desktop\FlatFileCopies md "%TargetFolder%" for /r %%d in (*) do copy "%%d" "%TargetFolder%" Pause to check afterwards[/quote] Denis

6. pyramid10 Win User
    Any file manager/exploer with the ability to do a recursive search, that is, explore the files in nested folders, should achieve your goal.

I personally use XNView, installed, for the right-click context menu recursive (show all files) search. Select all, drag-and-drop to another folder or to the parent folder. There is a portable zip version for a one-time use.

pyramid10, Feb 10, 2018
  7. Nisko Win User
    I tried the first one (use an "*") and it seems to have worked for what I want it for. I'd like to try the others too - but I don't know how to use or insert batch files. By tomorrow, I intend to reply to those posts that require code. If you're willing to guide me a little, I'd like to learn. Thank you!

Nisko, Feb 10, 2018
  8. Try3 Win User

I started learning about batch files by reading this guide - The Command Line in Windows Batch file basics

I then moved on to Rob van der Woude's guides and examples - Batch files - RobvdW

But if you are going to sit down and systematically study something, consider studying Powershell instead - it is a structured set of commands & MS regard it as supplanting command window commands & batch files.
    Start with PowerShell Scripting - The Basics - TenForums,
    then PowerShell Scripting - Run a Script from Shortcut - TenForums
    After that, I am not at all sure which one to recommend. You could try downloading & studying Getting Started with PowerShell - Shepard

Denis

9. Wiley Coyote, Feb 11, 2018
  10. Nisko Win User
    Thanks, folks, for the guidance.

Nisko, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How extract files from nested folders - is there an app? - Similar Threads - extract files nested

2. How to show all the nested folders within a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to show all the nested folders within a folder: The guidance I have found online does not work. In Win11 File explorer I want to show the full tree of the folder structure without having to expand each of the first tier sub folders. Seems like a reasonable request, but cannot figure it out : The show all folders setting in...
  3. How to show all the nested folders within a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to show all the nested folders within a folder: The guidance I have found online does not work. In Win11 File explorer I want to show the full tree of the folder structure without having to expand each of the first tier sub folders. Seems like a reasonable request, but cannot figure it out : The show all folders setting in...
  4. How to extract ".cer" file from a given ".appx" file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to extract ".cer" file from a given ".appx" file?: I would like to extract ".cer" file from a given ".appx" file and wonder if anyone knows how to do that. As context, the thing I want to achieve here is installing certification for the appx file in PowerShell I can manually install it from Properties > Digital Signature >...
  5. How to extract ".cer" file from a given ".appx" file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to extract ".cer" file from a given ".appx" file?: I would like to extract ".cer" file from a given ".appx" file and wonder if anyone knows how to do that. As context, the thing I want to achieve here is installing certification for the appx file in PowerShell I can manually install it from Properties > Digital Signature >...
  6. Extracting files from a BIN file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extracting files from a BIN file: I am using a USB thumb drive to update a Samsung soundbar. The Samsung download is a zip file. I have to extract that and copy to the thumb drive. I can extract the zip file which becomes a BIN file. That is still a compressed file and the soundbar won't read that. How do I...
  7. how to uninstall files extracted from an archive

how to uninstall files extracted from an archive: Can anybody help me out with this thing please? I recently installed an application by extracting the .exe file from WinRAR to a folder, but now I need to uninstall it, the application also doesn't appear on the Control Panel Uninstall an application list. Thank you...
  8. Extracting files from zipped folder is very slow

Extracting files from zipped folder is very slow: I have a zipped folder of size 280 MB, this folder contains json files and the total size of the folder is around 500-600 MB. While extracting the files from the zipped folder, the speed is only 5-6 KBps and shows that it'll take more than 8 hours. Please let me know how do I...
  9. nested desktop folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    nested desktop folder: I installed a new programme this morning for bridge scoring which should automate links to emails to send out results. The email link proved difficult so I tried the normal email route of adding the results as an attachment. The attachment folder was suddenly not visible...
  10. How to extract emails from notepad file ?

in Browsers and Email
    How to extract emails from notepad file ?: Hey guys, I have a notepad file which includes my customers records including email and skype id and some other information. But now I want to extract all of my customers email id only. There is @ mention on every email. Emails are different like from yahoo, live,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. app that extract files within different nested folders in windows