Windows 10: How frequently does Windows read the hosts file?

Discus and support How frequently does Windows read the hosts file? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I'm adding an extensive list of IPs to our work-from-home staffs' Windows hosts file. How frequently does Windows read the hosts file?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LB3ATL, Oct 5, 2020.

1. LB3ATL Win User

How frequently does Windows read the hosts file?

Hello all,

I'm adding an extensive list of IPs to our work-from-home staffs' Windows hosts file. How frequently does Windows read the hosts file? Meaning, when I make changes to the hosts file, when will Windows read the file to get the new DNS entries?

History: Our work-from-home users occasionally have trouble accessing network resources. We have discovered at certain times the user's ISP DNS servers take priority over our VPN DNS profile and cannot resolve our internal IPs. I'm trying to prevent this by adding our internal domain resources to the Windows hosts file in order to force DNS to our domain over their ISP DNS.

Any feedback, suggestions or alternative methods are welcome. Thank you, Lewis.

:)

LB3ATL, Oct 5, 2020

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Oct 5, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 5, 2020
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Editing the hosts file in Windows 7

I recently just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition and I need to edit the hosts file located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\. I've done this before on XP and Vista Ultimate 64-bit by opening the hosts file with Notepad. Only this time, when I opened it up with Notepad on Windows 7, it looked like this:

Code: # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp. # # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. # 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost[/quote] Where as on XP and Vista, it would look like this:

Code: Copyright (c) 1993-2008 Microsoft Corp. This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one space. Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. For example: 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost[/quote] So if I were to insert a line into the hosts file in Windows 7, would I have to add the # before the line or can I just simply put the line in without adding the # before it?

Flava0ne, Oct 5, 2020
Thema:

1. How frequently does Windows read the hosts file? - Similar Threads - frequently does read

2. Windows Host File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Host File: 1. How do you confirm if a host file has been modified 2. And who/what modified it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-host-file/e7c9a8b5-e3ea-4c91-9da1-39d628631a38
  3. Windows Host File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Host File: 1. How do you confirm if a host file has been modified 2. And who/what modified it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-host-file/e7c9a8b5-e3ea-4c91-9da1-39d628631a38
  4. Windows Host File

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Syncing Windows hosts file with WSL 2 hosts file.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Syncing Windows hosts file with WSL 2 hosts file.: If I add a new entry to the Windows hosts file, then on restarting WSL 2, the hosts file for WSL is autogenerated based on Windows’ host file. If I add a new entry to WSL’s host file, is it possible to add that entry to Windows’ host file also? submitted by /u/thefirstme...
  6. How to edit hosts file in 2020?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to edit hosts file in 2020?: I used to be able to do this, but now nothing I knew to do works. The file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc So what does one have to do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-edit-hosts-file-in-2020/6fbfab0d-f635-4083-b2fa-18eb4b1faec1
  7. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working ): Hi I keep getting this symptom from time to time , it fixes with windows updates but then occasionally come back . I have a list of advertising and malware websites that I filter through hosts file that are often used by a chat client as per the chat client community...
  8. Malwarebytes does not detect change in hosts file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malwarebytes does not detect change in hosts file: I made a change in my hosts file myself, in order to block Google ads. Windows Defender immediately gave a warning. A scan with Malwarebytes free did not give any notice. Remarkable. 57755
  9. How to read dump files?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to read dump files?: I just got my first BSOD! I wasn't quick enough to note down the full error as Windows did a crash dump, but I did notice the offending file was an Atheros driver. This was confirmed by Control Panel | Reliability Monitor Source Windows Summary Shut down...
  10. Hosts file. Should it be set to read only?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file. Should it be set to read only?: Since using XP and then Windows 7 have always set the Hosts file to read only as a security measure. Is it still advisable to do this on Windows 10? 38639